Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Music magazines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've probably got at least as many vintage music magazines as comic books these days, not sure it's as common a collectable... also there are some of the modern mags I really like, some only issues with contents of interest, and then the ones I just avoid completely.

The first record collectors type magazine I ever got ahold of though was Goldmine, more of a newspaper/old Rolling Stone format though, back when I also got Comics Buyer's Guide from the same publisher Krause. I really liked the British Record Collector magazine when there was content of interest, but as an import it was too expensive to get regularly. Most of the music magazines I like best are from England, but then it's been more of a magazines and paper shops that pay attention type of culture. I will still buy a Mojo or Shindig if the content is of interest, I used to always get Shindig. Vintage Rock I also got every time for awhile at first, now just specials. Uncut is a good all around magazine, but again, only content of interest to me. That leaves an obscure U.S. tome titled Ugly Things that focuses on '60s and garage, and a sort of weird '60s-'70s folk rock and blues rock centric even heavier title Flashback as must buys, but they are no more than two issues per year.

What did or do you buy? I never liked the newspaper format myself, it seems so disposable. That alone would put me off. In terms of vintage I have a ton of Rave, Beat Instrumental, Hullabaloo (which became Circus later), Bomp, Dark Star, Hit Parader, and also a fair sized stack of Pop Weekly from 1962-65. There are some other odds and sods like Cheetah, Valentine Special, Teen Beat (a mini-sized '60s monthly), Derek Jabobs' DJ, Here 'Tis, Outtasite, Cream Puff War, Scram, Strange Things, oh, forgot another '60s title Big Beat (a colour tabloid). Also various hardcover annuals from England in the '60s. I don't care for the U.S. teen type mags of the past a lot... 16, Tiger Beat, Date Book, that sort of thing. Usually any info in those is made-up press relations department stuff and favorite color type of text.

A side accumulation of '60s fashion mags hasn't gotten too far, just a few In and Petticoat. I'd like to have more but the prices on these can be prohibitive.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 May 2018 at 1:45pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I used to buy Sounds(Newspaper format!) in the late
70`s/early 80`s, then Kerrang! from issue one through to
the 90`s when it became aimed at teenagers!Used to buy
Metal Hammer but stopped for the same reason as Kerrang!
I now subscribe to Classic Rock and also Prog Magazine.I
have been reading old `Q` magazines from 2010 that were
given to me...surprising how mp3 players have been
superseded by our phones, and how many `Next big things`
vanished without trace!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sounds was said to have been ahead of the game on 'punk' rock music circa 1976-on. Kerrang! I've seen, though I like some of the early-mid '70s hard rock I'm not enough of a metal fan. I do have a few Prog magazines, one had some material on semi-folksters John Renbourn and Judy Dyble and then I bought it a few times after that. I like Barclay James Harvest and Yes (tending to appreciate the earliest the most with them), but sometimes there was very little of interest. One Blues magazine too from the same publisher because of Howling Wolf and Peter Green content. They all came in fancy sealed envelopes with CD extras that aren't all that interesting, and a bit expensive to import.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great topic, Rebecca.

I do buy METAL HAMMER religiously as am a huge metal fan.

Other music magazines depend on the content. I like MOJO, RECORD COLLECTOR, UNCUT and CLASSIC ROCK. But it does depend on what they are covering.

Around 7 years ago, MOJO did an issue devoted to "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd. It had a great cover CD (the woman covering "The Great Gig In The Sky" did a remarkable job). But if an issue is devoted to, say, the Rolling Stones, who do not interest me, I won't buy it.

KERRANG! is another one I buy semi-regularly. 

I like the cover CDs. MOJO did an electronic music CD years ago - you must listen to "Hamburger Lady" - and METAL HAMMER did a great one devoted to southern US metal bands.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I bought that Floyd Mojo, and the Bowie one with the Electricity CD! I'm mostly into even earlier Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett, but I did get that one. There's a shop a block away that carries it and a few others so it's usually easy enough for me to keep up with whether I want it or not. Sometimes I've wanted just the Mojo or Uncut CD and gotten them on ebay without the mag.

I have some Guitar Player (U.K.) and Guitar World (U.S.) magazines with Jimi Henrix and Yardbirds/Jeff Beck content too, forgot about them until now. Seems like anything with Jimi featured is a premium item. Guitar World had some really bad ads sometimes though, stuff I'd think is insulting to a metalhead as they talk down and are stereotypical portraying anything metal as thick... I have a lot of respect for most metal fans as they really care about quality playing and sound. Kirk Hammett and Tony Iommi are a couple of my all-time faves, and Nazareth, so I think we should desegregate and have some metal in with the general Rock.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
I have a lot of respect for most metal fans as they really care about quality playing and sound.

Thank you. :)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Quality playing and sound are most important to me, as a
fan of Metal, Classic Rock and Prog it`s something i
actively search for.
Queensryche`s albums Rage For Order, Operation Mindcrime
and Empire are prime examples of metal with brains,
melody, great playing and great tunes, and don`t get me
started on Rush or Dream Theater!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Seattle and grunge is kind of where the metal people and the arty punk rock people got together. They had kind of been seperate campsbefore that with some power pop in the middle (Heaters/Heats, Allies). In a way Heart was a kind of bridge, but also Duff McKagan, Mark Arm and Stone Gossard, Alice In Chains, plus Queensryche who to many appeared out of nowhere and they got interested and curious about their success. It became muddied up in my part of Canada around the same time too where DOA, The Modernettes, 54-40 and The Grapes Of Wrath would include some heavy rock riffage. People who loved Black Sabbath and Status Quo but didn't feel they had to go out and buy a lot of studded black leather and medieval armour or posters of Conan type guys.

Seattle's The Rocket weekly music paper was a big part of all that. In Vancouver it was the more general and politically left The Georgia Straight, but The Rocket was really focused. Then 'grunge' became a big dumb marketing thing and a parody of itself, and people actually died too; things kind of broke up again into separated enclaves in many ways. Paranoia, distrust, big money, almost everyone getting prickly. Metal is kind of waiting to be reappreciated but there is a wide variety and even a lot of brilliant humour.

Rush's pre-prog first album was almost everywhere around here in the mid '70s which might seem strange now, alongside with Led Zeppelin I-IV, the first Heart album (out of Vancouver, Canada), plus April Wine and Chilliwack playing live in seemingly every town.

Somewhere with various groups having such interesting histories I started collecting older '60s music by the same people which led to buying collector papers and informational magazines. The Yardbirds came before Led Zeppelin, and The Collectors before Chilliwack, and there was a totally different Fleetwood Mac originally with some very deep guitar work. And you listen to some single by a group you never heard of and thought how it should have been huge and not (fill in the blank).

There's a line in some Billy Joel song about how you can't hear the new sound 'cause it's only in a magazine, but the major geeks taped things and shared and would play you something rare you'd only read about, and the person with the new thing, The Jam or whatever, was top cat for a little while, and you wanted to be that cat next time. Shops, magazines, the post office, local radio a bit and some crappy venues in town and nearby cities was the world before the internet. The first time I heard about new wave and power pop would've been in papers and magazines and it got you excited to hear things and maybe send away for. I'm pretty much an omnivore for music beyond any self-identity or what is cool or not cool; there is something tasty in every kind of junk. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 May 2018 at 12:24pm

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Depending on who's featured, I'll buy Mojo or Uncut. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Where's the love for BBC MUSIC MAGAZINE? ;-)

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

PASTE was by far one of my favorites.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Paste had some really good sampler CDs, a friend who subscribed didn't want them for some reason and gave them to me!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

BBC Music Magazine, never heard of it, but i assume it`s
content would not interest me based on the BBC`s music
output!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Current issue:

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Calling it `Music` is a bit misleading, surely Classical
Music Monthly would be more apt, and maybe attract new
readers?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

If they have a special Erik Satie issue I'm there!

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

In the 80's (83-89) I had subscriptions to CREEM, CIRCUS,
ROLLING STONE, and GUITAR WORLD.

Edited by Craig Markley on 21 May 2018 at 11:31am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I only ever purchased the Rush issue of Rolling Stone
from a few years ago, i was not impressed!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Bill, if the strap line is correct, I donít think it needs to change its name. The BBC mag says it is the best selling classic music magazine in the world.

So I guess its audience know it is there

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The strap line is minute though!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I can see both of your points.

It is small, but the strapline is there. 

Plus, a cursory glance of that cover, or any cover, will give you an idea of the kind of magazine it is. 

Their rival, now defunct, was CLASSIC FM MAGAZINE:

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I used to read ROLLING STONE (not good), SPIN (better), OPTION (easily the best, covered all sorts of music, but didn't last long) and sometimes THE WIRE (a UK mag, covers the "avant-garde" of various musical genres, but I never subscribed because it cost too damn much).

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The interweb failed to post my wordy response, so I'll sum it up:

How is 'Music' a misleading title for that magazine?

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 May 2018 at 7:08pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Peter, it`s like calling a magazine devoted to football
`Sport`, when a magazine is fighting for space on the
shelves, i think it would help to have a more specific
title.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I would regularly read CREEM and CIRCUS in the late 70's early 80's,
and I know I got a free subscription to ROLLING STONE years ago but that one didn't keep my interest.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version