Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Inhumans: Cancelled, but not forgotten? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now that it's official that this show has been cancelled (not a surprise to me, especially since I never made it to the last episode) do you feel that they can still be integrated into the MCU movies? I think that they deserve a chance, but done better. I would love to see Lockjaw mix it up with some the other characters in the movies.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If the Fox deal goes through the Inhumans will become nothing but a failed attempt at creating something that could stand on its own. Mutants, mutants and more mutants will dominate.

Marvel had their shot at the Inhumans and blew it
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I bailed on it originally too, but then I did a catch-up on the last episode and made it to the end. So many individual aspects were done well like Lockjaw, but... I'm worried the new Cloak & Dagger series might also fall flat.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It really is a shame... The Inhumans deserve the same BIG screen treatment Guardians Of The Galaxy received.

Hopefully it'll happen in a few years.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dead property walking.  That Feige passed on it as a motion picture franchise and gave it to the television side of things, it's as done as done can be.  Too much stink from a failed film launch and then a failed one-and-done series.  Sorry, but this ship has sailed.  

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Can't help but agree will everyone here. For some reason the comics, Inhumans, Eternals, and even Guardians of the Galaxy, have never attracted me too strongly.

After GotG came out and was such a success, I had hopes Inhumans could be done in a way that worked and suck me in as a new fan.

But once Spider-Man entered the MCU, it seems Inhumans had to get chopped. 

I was hoping the TV show would be interesting, but we all know how bad that went. They clearly didn't have the CGI budget needed to make Inhumans work, especially Medusa's hair, perhaps the hardest thing to render realistically.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 15 May 2018 at 11:12pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The little kid me still thinks that Black Bolt has one of the coolest costumes
and powers ever.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm still hoping for a S.H.I.E.L.D. crossover. But the characters were either so off (Black Bolt) or so depowered (your favorite Inhuman here) and I think that  "Inhumans" was kinda beaten before it began.

I do think it deserves a shot again... but I also think it needs a little more legacy treatment.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I only managed to get through the first 3 episodes of Inhumans before giving up on it.  

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was always meant to be a movie-level property, and it was ill-fated from the moment Ike Perlmutter lost his power struggle with Kevin Feige and took it with him to TV.

The execution--not the characters--was the problem, and given what Marvel has accomplished so far, rebooting a (fairly recent) failed television attempt into a successful movie franchise seems completely achievable.

If Kevin Feige and his team--with the support of Bob Iger-- were invested in THE INHUMANS, they could very successfully relaunch it within the MCU. And I hope they do.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Iíll pretend the TV show never happened if everyone else does.....

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So far, the movies and the TV shows have not contradicted each other.  If the Inhumans move to the movies, they would have to be recast/redone/rebooted.  (Not just because of their own show but because of all the references in AGENTS OF SHIELD.)  Not that Feige couldn't/wouldn't do it, but I think Marvel is trying to avoid multiple live action versions of the same characters--unlike DC.

Now if Feige gets to bring the FF into the fold, I think the Sub-Mariner, the Negative Zone, and, yes, the Inhumans would be great for their first three movies.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

So since I love wild flights of fancy... Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Inhumans, and the Defenders against Hydra, the Super Adaptiod, and the merciless menace of... MODOK!

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I personally think that you can't do The Inhumans without the Fantastic Four. I am hoping that the FF will get a good film version, with proper casting, in the MCU. I'm not too optimistic, though, given the MCU treatment of Spider-Man, among others.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The Inhumans didn't work for a whole string of reasons. They're too entangled in old Marvel continuity to be made readily understandable to a fresh audience. Without the continuity there isn't much of a central idea to them. It's difficult to have a movie/TV show in which the most important character never speaks. Several of them have powers that are hard to make work onscreen. (Medusa was only the most obvious one.)

If anyone did try again I think they'd probably start by ripping out everything except the barest bones and the result would bear almost no resemblance to the comics.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Best bet, I think, is that the property lies fallow for a few years and then is reborn as a spinoff from something else on Marvel's streaming service. New cast, new premise, whole new take on the whole thing. But not until like 2023 or 2024.

How to reboot? Treat it as a dynastic struggle (akin to GAME OF THRONES) and a shadow war across the globe, pulling in random MCU heroes and eventually involving SHIELD when things heat up. They deserve to be important in the MCU, but this misfire has killed off their prospects for some time to come.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Eric J, I like the way you think regarding the FF. My personal line up for their slate of movies would be:
- Mole Man (their first enemy and truly an underrated villain in his own right); Doom appears (gauntlet only) in end credits scene, crumpling a magazine with the FF featured on the cover
- Namor (found in the first movie, comes roaring back with an invasion force in #2); Frightful Four as cold open; Skrulls shown in end credit scene; and
- Negative Zone- Annihilus vs Blastaar vs FF; Doom is a major subplot, ends with Skrulls seen impersonating the FF (we know they're in the Negative Zone battling to save the Earth but nobody else does)

Just thinking out loud. :)

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I hated the cop-out of Medusa getting her head shaved.  If they couldn't handle CGI costs, they should have left the property alone.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Never tuned into the show because it looked like garbage from the get-go. 

I wouldn't mind an animated INHUMANS movie or series of movies, but holy shit, embrace the Kirby or leave it alone.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version