Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Weekend Box Office: May 11-13 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Sorry for the late post.  Really busy weekend and couldn't get to it until this morning.  Since the BO results aren't really news now, I'll do this as...

Short Takes:

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR was #1 for the third straight week.  It is in rarified air once again as it has passed $1 billion on international monies alone and sees no signs of slowing down on that front.  

LIFE OF THE PARTY, the Melissa McCarthy comedy, came in second with $17.8 mil.  It's the lowest opening of a McCarthy headlined film, losing to TAMMY which opened at $21.5 mil in 2014.  The upside is that the film doesn't have a lot in the way of competition in this specific brand of comedy for a while.

BREAKING IN is already a hit having scored a third place finish with $17.6 mil against a slim budget of $6 mil.  

OVERBOARD performed really well in its second weekend.  It lost only 32% of its audience and now stands at $29.3 mil domestic.  

Rounding out the top five, A QUIET PLACE continues its amazing run.  Still on over 3,000 screens it dropped just 16% week-to-week. With $169.6 mil domestic and $270 mil total worldwide against a $17 mil budget, this is one of the biggest hits of the year relative to monies spent. 

Up Next: DEADPOOL 2 is going to be a serious challenger for the #1 spot.  Remember, the original opened to an industry shocking $132.4 mil back in 2016 setting the record for an R rated film. The buzz around the sequel has been high, signaling strong interest with very little drop-off.  Also hitting theaters is BOOK CLUB, a comedy starring Jane Fonda, Alicia Silverstone, Mary Steenburgen and Diane Keaton, as well as the talking animal comedy SHOW DOGS featuring Will Arnett, Natasha Lyonne and Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges.

Here, as always, are the weekend numbers courtesy of our friends at Box Office Mojo:

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I would expect Deadpool to take the weekend pretty handily assuming it does upward of $100 million again.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow. 

BLACK PANTHER raked in over $2 million at the box office alone, while being offered via On-Demand.

I wonder if it will still pull in over $1 million in the theatres now that it's available on DVD? 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Popa wrote:
I would expect Deadpool to take the weekend pretty handily assuming it does upward of $100 million again.

Absolutely.  I also know that there have to be more people than just my wife and I who didn't see the original until it hit cable whereupon we became huge fans.  Now we've got tickets to see the sequel on Saturday. Factoring that audience in, it wouldn't surprise me to see numbers equalling or exceeding the opening in 2016.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Disney/PIXAR/Marvel Studios/Marvel-Fox films will be a behemoth this year... by the end of the summer, they could conceivably have the top 5 spots on the 2018 charts, with BLACK PANTHER, AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, DEADPOOL 2, INCREDIBLES 2 and SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY more than likely holding said spots (not necessarily in that order).

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm getting tired of the AVENGERS in the theatre. The only threatre in Macau is playing it on amost every screen so I have not seen anything new in weeks. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I haven't seen anything new in weeks, but it's because there hasn't been anything new in weeks that I want to see.  That's fine with me.  I rarely go to the theatre as many times in three weeks as I have since the end of April (Avengers twice and Deadpool 2 on Saturday).  

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Also hitting theaters is BOOK CLUB, a comedy starring Jane Fonda, Alicia Silverstone, Mary Steenburgen and Diane Keaton"

When was the last time Silverstone was in a movie? 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I realize your question is mostly rhetorical but she was in last year's indie darling "The Killing of a Sacred Deer."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

DEADPOOL 2 opened last night with record setting numbers.  It shattered the opening for an R rated film, previously held by IT.  It's $18.6 mil Thursday is $6 mil ahead of the original's 2016 Thursday opening helped, no doubt, by it being the largest rollout in 20th Century Fox's long history. Industry estimates are conservative, pegging it at $138 mil when all is said and done, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see it open closer to $150 mil. 

Stay tuned Sunday!   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version