Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: THE CASE FOR KIRBY Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hi Greg - interesting post... about a month ago (pure coincidence) I read the entire book you mentioned (all 300 pages) on an 11-hour flight and found it fascinating.  Your take on it was exactly the same as me—I was skeptical and then (frustratingly) I couldn't put it down, and some of the claims were very persuasive.

I really liked in the book how the author made very specific references to pop culture, dialogue and the timing of the release of certain stories.  I'm not saying it is all true, but I definitely found it a captivating read! 

I definitely think it is important to hear other people's opinions (and the author definitely has some opinions!) and I learned a lot about Jack Kirby (like other titles he worked on and some of the skills behind layouts, composition, etc).  I also love conspiracy stories so I do admit it was a guilty pleasure to read on vacation.

Edited by Karl Wiebe on 14 May 2018 at 11:19am
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
Again, I hesitate to give this sort of thing publicity that it probably doesn’t deserve, but I am strangely curious to see what the learned members of this forum think, especially in regards the idea that the published version of FF # 1 was actually a modified version of an existing story that Kirby had done as a CHALLENGERS riff.

I am assuming the author cites no evidence for this claim, and is instead passing off speculation as fact?  That is unfortunate.  It is certainly quite plausible that elements of that story could have come from an old Challengers story idea... obviously, Kirby had the Challengers on his mind when they were creating the FF, given the similarities in their origins.  But it's too bad that it's not enough for the author to present his ideas as speculation, but he instead has to portray them as facts.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jason you seem to be saying that it is unfortunate that the author has presented his ideas as fact, but you also just admitted that you haven't read the book.  You can agree or not on the arguments in the book itself (as would be expected), but the author states they are "making a case" for Kirby.  They are presenting what they see as evidence.  (The evidence is of varying degrees of quality, much of it circumstantial)—but they are not presenting their case as fact, and I don't believe they ever claim to.   

The very title of the book is "The Case For Kirby".  The author is presenting his ideas as speculation.  Not sure why you are disappointed in something you assumed (and is not the case)?  There are enough "real" issues in the book to disagree with, there's no point in making up new ones!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't want to take sides on Lee vs. Kirby--I love them both...and Ditko too!  But, just from a reader's point of view, some things seem more likely than others--

1. Stan was the company man and he was the editor overseeing the comics department and the main writer, where the ideas usually started (at least).  It just seems unlikely that a freelance artist like Kirby would have the carte blanche to start a whole new direction/approach for the struggling monster comic company.

2. The FF just has a lot of "Lee-isms": Timid Sue seems to be cut from the same cloth as Betty Ross, Jane Foster, and Betty Brant.  (Unfettered Kirby seems to lean more toward strong-willed amazons like Big Barda.)

3. Teen Johnny goes along with Peter Parker and Rick Jones (all about 16).  (Solo Kirby seems to concentrate on heroic men, but, if he brings in a kid, they're usually younger, maybe 12 or 13.)

4. The Thing's crush on Sue and bad attitude reminds of Prof. X's crush on teen Jean and the Hulk's bad attitude.  True, Kirby worked on those too, but I've seen these personality traits in too many Lee stories.

5. "Reviving" a Golden Age concept like the Human Torch also seems more like Lee.  True, he brought back Captain America and Sub-Mariner with Kirby, but he also gave us a Daredevil, Iron Man, the Angel, Ka-Zar, Black Widow, the Destroyer, the Falcon, Jack Frost, and probably more.  Not complaining about Stan rescuing defunct names, but it does seem more of a Stan thing than a Jack thing.  Kirby's names were often new, wild, and/or majestic.

6. Speaking of recycling, was Reed a re-do of Marvel's Thin Man?  And Sue of the movie version of "The Invisible Woman"?

Sure, it looks like Lee gave a lot of story control over to Kirby (on FF) and Ditko (on Spidey) pretty early on, but I don't think he did that with Don Heck and John Buscema on AVENGERS, IRON MAN, or SILVER SURFER which were all pretty entertaining as well!  Or with Gene Colan on DAREDEVIL or the SUB-MARINER feature either.  (Maybe he would have liked to have handed DAREDEVIL over to Wally Wood too; that would have been great as DD was a bit shaky for a while after Wood left.)  All the books worked together to create the Marvel Age of Comics, and they all had the same "spirit" which was personified in the snappy Stan Lee scripts on all the books, including the ones that Kirby and Ditko plotted.  Nobody should ever call Stan Lee a hack.

But I will also give credit to Kirby and Ditko.  Their DC work--without Lee's scripting--is pretty amazing too!  But not as successful as their work with Stan, and the scripting was not as good.  Stan proved himself with SILVER SURFER with Buscema and SPIDER-MAN with Romita.  But I love anything Ditko does, and Kirby proved his solo genius to me with his 70's run on CAPTAIN AMERICA, a personal favorite.

They're all geniuses and legends.  It's ridiculous to form camps.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 14 May 2018 at 7:33pm

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"They're all geniuses and legends.  It's ridiculous to form camps."

That's the problem with the mentality of a lot of folks these days. People tend to have a viewpoint that if someone is successful, then it *must* have come at the expense of someone else rather than looking at it as both parties being successful (albeit to different degrees). It's all "us vs. them".

Edited by Christopher Frost on 14 May 2018 at 8:10pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm currently reading the Challengers of the Unknown  Showcase collections. I'm surprised at how LITTLE I find it similar to the Fantastic Four. Sure, there are four adventurer exploring strange things. But the Challengers have pretty much interchangeable personalities. I don't even have a favorite. Whereas the success of the FF and the Marvel Age was largely due to characterization.

And Kirby's art is MUCH better on FF!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Much as I love EVERYTHING Kirby did on the FF, my preference is for the early work, the time when I was an active reader. Heavily influenced by nostalgia, no doubt, but that was when the characters and stories felt "real" to me.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nevermind Stan Lee. Jim Starlin's Thanos is the biggest Kirby rip-off ever. Thanks to the success of Infinity War, audiences around the world will mistake Darkseid, one of Kirby's greatest characters, as the copy of Thanos. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 15 May 2018 at 8:42am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I read CASE FOR KIRBY. While I found some of the claims very extreme (Lee added NOTHING??), I was quite surprised by his "FF#1 was actually a repurposed story" argument... I thought he made some good points and called attention to details I'd never noticed before. 

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JACK KIRBY created the FF, somewhat influenced by Stan Lee...THE END!

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Byrne, FF #232 1981, recreating the FF greatness, highly influenced by Kirby/Lee

Darin Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My own theory for how the Lee/Kirby/Ditko collaboration worked is that Kirby issues which used a lot of panels to tell a story were plotted to a larger extent by Lee.   As the panel count decreased on FF, so did Stan’s involvement with the plotting.  With Ditko, I feel it was the reverse, the panel count got higher the LESS Lee was involved in the plot, especially the non-action scenes. 

And though I wasn’t born until after Lee and Kirby split, I also prefer the earlier, plottier FF issues. Sometimes a single page contained three or four scenes so even though there were always lots of words per panel, the story still seemed to move quickly. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version