Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: THE CASE FOR KIRBY Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Okay, listen. Every once in a while, I come across this here little site when researching the early days of the Fantastic Four and the Lee/Kirby working relationship. It’s like a rash on my Google searches.

To say that it’s an obsessive analysis which is full of mind-reading, personal biases, and wild suppositions is...putting it mildly.

Well, I just discovered a 300-page e-book (in PDF form) which has been added to the site: THE CASE FOR KIRBY. I started skimming through the book out of morbid curiosity, and ending up skimming all the way to the end. Almost couldn’t believe what I was reading.

It’s full of the typical “Kirby was a genius whose credit was stolen by that greedy hack, Stan Lee” type of rhetoric. The author goes so far as to say that Stan’s main “contribution” to Kirby’s stories was vandalizing them by dumbing them down for kids, and that he so often wrote against Kirby’s brilliant, adult-themed art because he didn’t understand the complex stories Kirby was telling. Even things like lettering errors (such as the “Thorr” at the end of the very first Thor story) are also blamed on Stan.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t be inclined to give such a deeply-biased and crackpot-type manifesto like this publicity. In terms of my own take of the Lee-Kirby-credit debate, I still believe that both men played their role in the success of the FF and the other classic Marvel books. Lee’s dialogue and captions were crucial to giving the characters their personalities and the books their respective tones. He didn’t just slap corny jokes atop Kirby’s brilliant art. It’s not a black-and-white case. Take away one man or the other, and you don’t have the Fantastic Four. At least, not as we know and love them.

However—however—there are certain elements of the e-book which are strangely, frustratingly, provocative, and even have a certain tinge of truth to them. Such as the surprisingly reasonable observation that Kirby was actually referencing then-current sci-fi films like THEM! in his art at the end of FANTASTIC FOUR # 2, with Stan misunderstanding the art (or ignoring Kirby’s intent for the sake of a meta-joke) and instead calling them clippings from Marvel’s monster comics in the dialogue.

The thing which got my jaw to drop, though, is the rather shocking assertion that the second story in FANTASTIC FOUR # 1 actually began as a Kirby-created CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN riff, with the superpowers (and the Thing) being added into the artwork after the fact so as to turn it into a FF story. Of course, the author of the e-book also claims that Lee took Kirby’s brilliant story, misunderstood it, then dumbed it down for kids. The “original” story being that the Mole Man went underground after being rejected by the surface world, was blinded by an underground atomic test explosion, then used an army of irradiated/mutant monsters to strike out against facilities conducting other such atomic tests as an act of revenge. The pseudo-Challengers/FF proceed to track the atomic explosions on Reed’s seismograph to determine the site of the next monster attack. As they investigate Monster Isle and fall below the surface, Reed and Johnny are given radiation suits by the Mole Man to protect them from underground radiation (rather than to protect them from the Valley of Diamonds). The Mole Man then destroys the island by triggering an atomic device stolen from one of the wrecked installations.

That’s quite a claim.

There’s also a reiteration of the oft-repeated claim that the FF # 1 story synopsis document, said to have been discovered in Stan’s old desk during the late-80s, is actually a forgery. The central conceit of the e-book is that Kirby was the sole creator and writer of the Fantastic Four (and, by extension, most of the other classic Marvel heroes), and that Lee vandalized his work and took all the credit.

Again, I hesitate to give this sort of thing publicity that it probably doesn’t deserve, but I am strangely curious to see what the learned members of this forum think, especially in regards the idea that the published version of FF # 1 was actually a modified version of an existing story that Kirby had done as a CHALLENGERS riff. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 14 May 2018 at 10:04am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've long thought the opening pages of the Kuurgo story came from somewhere else, perhaps a Challengers tale, or just an unfinished Marvel or DC sci-fi story. The dramatic change in Kuurgo's appearance lends credence, methinks.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

that site has it's bias but it makes for entertaining reading.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There’s also a reiteration of the oft-repeated claim that the FF # 1 story synopsis document, said to have been discovered in Stan’s old desk during the late-80s, is actually a forgery. The central conceit of the e-book is that Kirby was the sole creator and writer of the Fantastic Four (and, by extension, most of the other classic Marvel heroes), and that Lee vandalized his work and took all the credit.

•••

To touch on this for the umpteenth time...

It was Roger Stern who found that plot, tucked in a corner of a drawer, when he took on an editorial position at Marvel, and was given Stan's old desk. Roger is no dummy. He would have spotted a fake.

Such a forgery would have required an astonishing degree of prescience on the part of the forger, to anticipate the "debate" over who really did the work -- and to even include elements that were not present in what Jack drew.

Very much a GET A LIFE situation.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Such a forgery would have required an astonishing degree of prescience on the part of the forger, to anticipate the "debate" over who really did the work -- and to even include elements that were not present in what Jack drew.

Yes, that's some Jigsaw-style foresight (SAW movies for anyone who may not have seen them) required there! 

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I find is somewhat amusing when I see some of the arguments used to support his claims - such as the "Kirby issues" (#1-102) showing a much more empowered Sue than the "Lee issues" (#103-125) portraying her as a weak captive.

The covers he used as examples did not include the countless early FF stories that showed Sue as a captive, "helpless female" or prize for Namor and Reed Richards to fight over.

This was just one of the typical themes that ran through comics in the 1960's also used in Avengers stories (with the Scarlet Witch and Wasp), X-Men Stories (with Marvel Girl) and with just about every female supporting character in most other titles at some point.

I think most neutral fans would agree that Lee has some input in the creation of most of the early Marvel characters (with the exception of Doctor Strange), but as time went by more and more of the creative process fell on the artists (be it Kirby, Romita, Ditko, or whoever).  Kirby in particular chafed under this arrangement and slowly started contributing fewer characters and ideas beginning around 1967 or 1968.

Is Kirby's involvement in the Challengers of the Unknown and the vague similarities with the Fantastic Four evidence that he created the FF?  No, I think it indicated that he had a lot of input (which I don't think anyone would deny), but this article takes it and runs with it as though it's a fact beyond any questioning.

The article also repeatedly claims that Lee "vandalized" the Kirby's "brilliant" stories in order to dumb them down for children, ignoring the fact that Lee was the editor of Marvel's entire line and the main purpose in creating the stories was selling a product, not creating an art portfolio.

The tearing down of Stan Lee's contribution in order to elevate Kirby needs to stop.  I think most informed fans know how important Kirby was to the process and Marvel did reach a settlement with the Kirby estate.  That should pretty much be the end of it.  "By Stan Lee and Jack Kirby" should be enough for everybody.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Case dismissed.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Kirby didn't help his case when he told Gary Groth in an interview in the COMICS JOURNAL that he created Spider-Man. 

As if Spider-Man's costume looks like anything Kirby would've created. I'll admit that I don't know how much Spider-Man was "mainly Ditko" or "mainly Lee."

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

+++++++

Exactly. There are elements in that outline which are far too specific for an after-the-fact forgery, such as Ben being in love with Sue (an idea played with early on, but quickly dropped). 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I find is somewhat amusing when I see some of the arguments used to support his claims - such as the "Kirby issues" (#1-102) showing a much more empowered Sue than the "Lee issues" (#103-125) portraying her as a weak captive.
++++++++

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that—the notion of Kirby The Genius empowering women in his art, and Stan The Sexist ruining it all with his dialogue.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As if Spider-Man's costume looks like anything Kirby would've created. I'll admit that I don't know how much Spider-Man was "mainly Ditko" or "mainly Lee."
++++++++

At the very least, it’s pretty clear that by the end of their run, Ditko was totally plotting and drawing the book, with Stan then having to puzzle things out when adding the dialogue and captions. The big example being Stan describing Doctor Octopus’ henchmen in ASM # 31 as the Cat’s (the villain of the issue) henchmen, because he wasn’t aware that Ditko was setting up the Master Planner arc for the next two issues.

As for the early issues, that’s trickier. But, again, Peter Parker’s dialogue, personality, and trademark self-doubt—important elements in the identity and success of Spider-Man—are all Stan.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The human brain's capacity to obsess over and get creative with minutia seems limitless. Kirby had solid ground for some grievances (like many pioneering comic book professionals), some were addressed I later found out, but I think some were exacerbated by certain 'friends' (and Gary Groth perhaps too and that self-righteous crowd, I never understood the venom aimed at Image which seemed to be the exact kind of creator's taking control thing they'd advocated ad-infinitum for so long.. I have bought a total of six Image comics ever by the way, those Alan Moore 1963 things) and his family's/wife's needs at times too played a big part. I hope there can be lasting peace soon about a lot of this. Stan Lee was very boosterism for everyone really and it could rub the wrong way. He did give a lot of credit to Jack Kirby at times for Galactus and the Silver Surfer and other things, but maybe it wasn't always the exact right time or place? In a way nobody could pay back Jack Kirby what he was really worth. :^(

I think Jim Shooter and some people at Marvel at the time Kirby needed money and wanted his art returned were pretty awful. I think some things were made up a little later. I think that is the real source of the people who have joined in the Kirby created everything conspiracy thing... they probably see it as balancing the scale to go extreme in their direction, I went through a little of that when I was a regular reader of the Comics Journal, maybe it helped me be immune to later propaganda type 'news' in general though? Jack Kirby was not much of a writer of dialogue though, that's for sure, and the Stan Lee carnival barker promo character that had a lot to do with selling stuff staring in the '60s was also pretty much absent.

I'm being pretty blunt here, I hope that's okay. There are a lot of these bad taste type things festering that probably keep comics as a form or business a bit, well, retarded in the dictionary definition of that word. I think Neal Adams saw that when he came in and did a lot of good, opened a few windows to a larger outside even. :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version