Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Best of British TV Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2019 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As far as "Best," I loved Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective.

One British program I remember enjoying (probably not on the "Best" list) was a short series called Private Schultz. I remember it was about the Nazis trying to break the serial numbering system for British pound notes so they could flood Britain with high quality counterfeit currency. It had a bit of a twist ending. The series was a comedy or at least had comic elements. 

I just googled it and it appeared in the UK in 1981. Sure it aired in the US shorty after. 
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I finally ordered and received the full The Goodies Complete BBC Collection 12 DVD set from the UK a few days ago. Shame it's not available on Blu-ray, if it was it'd be just 2 BDs... Anyway, it's a no-frills set, just the 70 episodes spread among the 12 discs, no extras beyond one special, and no indication of Season/Episode numbers on the discs, menus or the sleeve, just the episode titles. I've ripped them from disc to my network drive, and labelled them all correctly. Quality is variable but very good given the low-res source and age.

Watching them in broadcast order now, I'm finding them much funnier than I remember, even the weaker episodes. I know nostalgia is playing a big part in my enjoyment, but there's a genuine sense of cartoon-turned-into-live-action fun that makes it a great way to relax at night. I often lose track of time and realise I've watched 5 half-hour episodes in a row and still want more. Bill Oddie's background tunes are a highlight in every show, they really give the series a distinct '70s flavor, especially as they were co-written by Michael Gibb from the Bee Gees I believe.

Anyway, maybe it's time for everyone to give the Goodies another chance? Perhaps a taste of the classic Radio Goodies episode may tempt you: video here

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 03 July 2019 at 7:38am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Koroush, i`m interested to know how the distinctly
British stuff like the Yorkshire martial art of Ecky-
Thump etc translates abroad!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mike Gibbs isn't one of the Bee Gees Gibb brothers. I have had three of four of The Goodies LPs and I think he only worked on some of the first one. Lots of different musicians on the recordings like Andy Jackman of pre-Yes group The Syn and Clem Cattini on drums (ex Telstar/Tornados) as they were recorded all over the place in terms of studios.

I watched season one awhile ago and remembered some bits.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Bill Collins wrote:
Koroush, i`m interested to know how the distinctly British stuff like the Yorkshire martial art of Ecky- Thump etc translates abroad!

Australia was quite saturated with British heritage in the 1970s and '80s when I was watching the Goodies Bill, so it wasn't a major problem. Many of my teachers were first generation migrants from the UK for example, and as I noted before, half of our two TV channels was largely BBC fare.

Of course, it wasn't until the advent of the Internet that I could finally work out what "There's nowt wrong wi' owt what mitherin' clutterbucks don't barley grummit!" was supposed to mean, I didn't know what a chip booty was, and it wasn't until I saw the movie Kes that I really got an appreciation of what life in northern England was like back then. But I got enough to find it funny.

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
Mike Gibbs isn't one of the Bee Gees Gibb brothers. I have had three of four of The Goodies LPs and I think he only worked on some of the first one. Lots of different musicians on the recordings like Andy Jackman of pre-Yes group The Syn and Clem Cattini on drums (ex Telstar/Tornados) as they were recorded all over the place in terms of studios.

I watched season one awhile ago and remembered some bits.

Rebecca - OK, wasn't sure of which Gibb it was :) But on this new release, where both audio and video are quite clean on almost all of the episodes, I'm really noticing (and enjoying) the little ditties Oddie and co. put together for each episode.

As I said before, the Goodies are an acquired taste, and you have to be in a mellow mood to really enjoy them. But childhood memories of the show just being manic slapstick can be deceptive. There are also moments of subtle humor, and also a nice variation of gags and pacing of action across episodes, if you steadily watch them in broadcast order; the slower story-like episodes counterbalance the ones that seem more like sketch comedy compilations.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Koroush, it`s Chip Butty, Chip Booty is boggling my
mind! ;-)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Nowt wrong wi' noshing on chip butty on way to factory. :^)

I recognize sets from other shows sometimes in things, maybe I'll look at The Goodies again with that in mind. Might see a desk from UFO, a shirt from The Lotus Eaters or summat. Maybe the bicycle was from Last Of The Summer Wine.

Decca records used to put out LPs of various tv shows but The Goodies were perfect for the form with all of Oddie's songs. I did get a bit tired of the Funky Gibbon though.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sorry Bill, I knew it was butty but my my hands typed booty... gives a
whole new meaning to the phrase “late night booty call” though :)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Nothing wrong with a late night chip butty!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rebecca, you need to apostrophe the T in to

Nowt wrong wi’ noshing on’t chip butty on’t way t’ factory

My favourite phrase to teach people Yorkshire is
T’in’t in’t tin

It is not in the tin

But you also have to remember that sometimes you only get the end of the ‘t’ & not the hard start to it. It’s a different sound if the ‘t’ is abbreviated at the start of a word than at the end. Can be hard to make authentic @ times, & is often the way you can tell a true Yorkshireman from someone who’s ‘learned’ the accent.

So we would say ‘Up’t hill backwards’ but that ‘t’ is really hard for a non-Yorkshire person to get correct.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My grandfather did that a bit with the t's, I'd actually forgotten't. Of course it's a big area Yorkshire, and I only heard a bit of what was said Leeds-side.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ha, I was born & spent the first 20 or so years about 15 miles from Leeds

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version