Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Best of British TV Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Two or three channels is almost shocking to me. Where we are near the U.S. border and below the 49th parallel in Western Canada we never had less that nine channels through the early  '60s onward, and I never remember there being any less than ten with a French channel making it eleven (another channel was one camera oscillating/panning across various clock and gauges for time, temperature, barometer etc.) I guess it was a great moment when Channel 4 began in England in late 1982 and people had four channels (plus Channel 4 had a lot of really good shows). I suppose maybe folks on the south coast might pick up French or Dutch tv like we got many U.S. channels? Bellingham in the U.S. was closer than Vancouver Canada for me.

I've seen some classic British shows I don't think they'll ever show in America. Perhaps something like Hi-De-Hi or It Ain't Half Hot Mum would just take too much explaining? There's something about Are You being Served and Keeping Up Appearances that conform to some expected stereotypes I think and so they are wildly, inexplicably shown over and over in the U.S. still. Not sure why On The Buses or Open All Hours weren't as big as they both did get shown for awhile. 'Allo 'Allo seemed almost too popular at one time also. Monty Python was simply rock star huge in the '70s from the first Canadian CBC running and then PBS on Sundays for the longest time. Interesting learning about ABC and Australian tv. I've known the Jon Pertwee Who was aired almost constantly down under (and they even got him for an extra season of Worzel Gummidge after that). For a long time the biggest Aus export was Skippy The Bush Kangaroo (until Neighbours and Home And Away) and Canada's was Forest Rangers or Hammie The Hamster or something. :^)

There have always been some good scary/fantasy series from England it's seemed. Maybe too many to name. Children Of the Stones, Beasts, Hammer House, Shadows, Century Falls, The Owl Service, The Moon Dial ...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I suppose maybe folks on the south coast might pick up French or Dutch tv like we got many U.S. channels
------------------------------------------------------------ ------
No. I grew up on the south coast of England, about 90 miles from Cherbourg, nothing between us but sea, and it was BBC1, BBC2 and ITV.  And then in 1982 -- for what seemed like an eternity -- you could select a fourth channel that would advertise the forthcoming Channel 4.

No French TV on our sets!
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oh, that's a bit disappointing then. I imagined maybe something like picking up radio Luxembourg at night. I did hear of someone in Holland saying they could tune in Anglia ITV, but maybe that involved some arcane business with coat hangers and aluminum foil... I used to get early cell phone calls in snippets on one end of the VHS tuner dial on my little Viking b&w in an attic room, and also the audio but no video for a Yakama Valley U.S. PBS station.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Two or three channels! It gets worse...BBC2 was mainly
Open University programmes from 9-5, then it was dry
educational/cultural stuff until about 11pm then it shut
down! BBC1 was schools programmes during school hours,
then an hour and a half of kid`s tv until the news at
5.45pm. Then it was a few hours of entertainment until
it shut down! ITV was about the same! Sundays were dire,
especially in winter when you couldn`t go out to play!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
Two or three channels is almost shocking to me.

The upside of having only two channels for the '70s and most of the '80s for me was that I saw what was essentially a curated selection of the most popular stuff on both commercial and publicly-funded TV. There was virtually no filler material. The ABC also had no advertising, so that made it even tighter in terms of quality content.

For example, my after-school viewing on our ABC back in 1980 was like a hit parade, starting with the classic US cartoon Battle of the Planets, then the UK shows Danger Mouse, Doctor Who, The Goodies, and if I came back after the news, I'd see Yes Minister before I had to go and do my homework.

The downside was that I was totally unaware of some shows which never made it onto my screen, only seeing them on disc and later streaming for the first time.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Believe it or not, it`s only in the last decade that we
have got U.S. tv shows within a week or two of U.S.
airdate. Previously we got the Christmas episodes in
May!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was the odd series where this used to happen in the past - particularly the really popular ones like Dallas or Hill Street Blues, but the fundamental change across the board I put down to Sky.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I remember knowing who shot JR because someone in my class at school had been to the States and seen it months before it aired in the UK.

One of the advantages of having so few channels back then was that you didn't have to change the channel much...which came in handy when we didn't have a remote control TV!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Our first VCR had a remote control...with a cable.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Nine channels through the 60s?!?  Jesus.  What a luxury (I feel a Python sketch coming on)!  We had the Big Three (CBS, ABC, NBC) as our only channels for as long as I can remember.  Just three! UHF here in the States was the revolution, such as it was, because it gave us an extra two or three channels in the mid-late 70s (my experience in Minnesota...and two of those channels were religious programming).  It wasn't until the advent of cable that we got more than five and cable didn't become popular and affordable until the early 80s.  

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As far as I know these had all begun by the late '50s (as with radio stations there were call letters)

2 - CBUT CBC Vancouver Canada
3 - CBUFT CBC French (may have started in the '60s)
4 - KOMO ABC Seattle U.S.
5 - KING NBC Seattle U.S.
6 - CHEK Independent/CBC Victoria Canada
7 - KIRO CBS  Seattle U.S.
8 - CHAN CTV Vancouver Canada
9 - KCTS PBS Seattle U.S.
10 - Clocks/guages
11 - KSTW Independent Tacoma U.S.
12 - KVOS Independent Bellingham U.S.
13 - KTNT Independent Tacoma U.S.
(guessing went off air in early '70s)
13 - CKVU Independent/Global Vancouver Canada
(started around 1975)

By 1977-78 added (if you had cable)
14 - Knowledge Network (Educational B.C. Canada)
15 - KCPQ Independent/Fox Tacoma U.S.
16-20 - some Ceefax/Oracle type broadcast news, travel and weather screens of text on coloured backgrounds, it would go through the pages on it's own

I only ever remember seeing a test pattern or static very late at night/very early morning or for a few years when 13 was just a blank. I was partly raised by this set-up basically.

To tie this in, 12 would show On The Buses, Dad's Army, The Double-Deckers, Space: 1999, and later on at night The Prisoner and Doctor Who... 2 had Monty Python, Vision On, Coronation Street... 14 had loads of kids shows from Europe (Hatty Town, Barbapapa, Barnaby/Jeremy Bear, Dr. Snuggles, Willo The Wisp, Noddy, Rupert, Toothbrush Family, S.W.A.L.K., Adrian Mole, Moondial) and also The World At War, South Bank Show... 9 would show European Football sometimes and Monty Python, Upstairs-Downstairs, Britcoms like Butterflies, Open All Hours, The Good Life, Solo, Being Served, Reginald Perrin

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 June 2019 at 11:24pm

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2019 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

All these anecdotes about having only a few channels... we've turned into our own parents :(

Also, seeing Coronation Street mentioned again makes me wonder - does it have the most depressing intro ever made for a TV show? Judge for yourself.

It used to be on here around midday when I was in High School, and if I was home sick I'd catch an episode ...and inevitably it would make me feel even more ill.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version