Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Several shows cancelled Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Variety has reported that several shows have been axed. Strangely, no CBS shows were mentioned by the article that I read.

Cancelled shows are below, and the bolded ones are shows I watch.

ABC:

DESIGNATED SURVIVOR
QUANTICO
ALEX, INC.
THE INHUMANS
DECEPTION
THE CROSSING
KEVIN PROBABLY SAVES THE WORLD

FOX;

BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (already rescued by NBC)
THE MICK
THE LAST MAN ON EARTH 
LUCIFER
THE EXORCIST

NBC:

TAKEN
GREAT NEWS
THE BRAVE

THE CW:

LIFE SENTENCE
VALOR

SYFY:

THE EXPANSE

Heidi also watcfhed KEVIN PROBABLY SAVES THE WORLD, but I dropped it about 3 or 4 episodes in, and she'd watch it on DVR while I was asleep.

Frankly, I think QUANTICO had run its course (this season is only 3 episodes in, and I'm bored with it), and I'm not surprised in the least that THE CROSSING was axed. I'm even more surprised that THE LAST MAN ON EARTH wasn't cancelled after it's previous season.

I'm mad that DECEPTION and LUCIFER have been axed.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Different strokes.  I think THE LAST MAN ON EARTH is comedy gold.  Brilliant.  I'm surprised it lasted this long on a network, quite frankly, but happy we got what we did and am only hoping someone picks it up to complete the story.

As for the rest, considering NINE-NINE is already coming back, I'm only upset about THE EXPANSE.  It's a fantastic series.  Dense with character, subplot and intrigue.  Took too long to find an audience and just before it did?  Cancelled.  Hope it finds a home somewhere else.  

The rest? I either tried and gave up really early or couldn't be bothered to try at all. Case in point: QUANTICO.  First couple of season one episodes were good, the next were less than.  Then it took an inordinately long winter break (as ABC shows are wont to do) only to come back absolutely horrible.  Stuck with it because we were pot committed to find out the end to the story, but deleted it off our series record the day after the finale aired.  Never saw Seasons 2 or 3. Horrible show. 
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm mad that DECEPTION and LUCIFER have been axed.

óó

Me too. The recent two-part episode of DECEPTION really elevated the show. Iím hoping LUCIFER finds life elsewhere. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We watch Designated Survivor. Bummed itís canceled. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tried a few early episodes of some, but none kept me watching.

In parallel, the IMDb has a long list of new shows, and much like when I used to pick up the Fall Preview issue of TV GUIDE, I find the majority read more like done-in-one TV movies than actual, ongoing series.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (already rescued by NBC)

While it's pretty common for a network show these days to be rescued by a cable or digital streaming service I can only think of a handful of"Big 3 (or 4)" network shows that were rescued by another big network...

Taxi (ABC to NBC, where it bombed along with the first season Cheers)
Wonder Woman (CBS to ABC)
Scrubs (NBC to CBS)
Jag (NBC to CBS)
Medium (NBC to CBS)

Any others?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Bionic Woman (ABC to NBC)
Wonderful World of Disney (ABC to NBC to CBS to... well, it's been on a lot of stations!)
Space Ghost and Frankenstein Jr. (CBS to NBC) - although to be fair, that was reruns.
Bugs Bunny / Warner Bros. characters - I know these have been on ABC, CBS, and NBC.

I am REALLY going to miss Designated Survivor, but as I think about it... after its initial storyline was completed, I'm not sure where else it could go.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I liked the first season of Designated Survivor but this season it seemed to struggle to find a purpose (that had anything to do with its title anyway) and my wife and I lost interest and stopped watching about halfway in.

I'm going to miss Kevin. It was a show about a nice guy doing nice things for other nice people suffering everyday problems and it was, well, nice. No idea why they had it on at 10:00.

Other than that, I only watched Inhumans. No big loss. (If Agents of SHIELD gets another season, it would be nice if they could import certain elements over there to get some closure, though.)

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I watch none of those shows.  I gave some of the a shot, but they couldn't hold my interest.

As for JAG moving from NBC to CBS, that sure worked out very well for CBS.  NCIS spun out of JAG.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rob Ocelot wrote:
...Any others?

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.

BATMAN (1960s) was almost rescued, but the sets had been destroyed and that was a factor in it being not picked up by the other network.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I had to doublecheck the definitions before I chimed in.

EPISODIC is used to describe series whose episodes are more standalone.  (COLUMBO was episodic.)

SERIAL is used to describe a TV show with a continuing storyline.  (LOST was a serial.)

To me, it hurts a lot less when an episodic show gets cancelled, even if it was brilliant.  If we only get 100 or 50 or 10 episodes, at least we had those to enjoy (over and over sometimes, like COLUMBO or TWILIGHT ZONE).  BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is the funniest show on TV, but, if NBC didn't pick it up, I would have survived (and probably watched the whole thing over again!).

But when a serial gets cancelled midway in its continuing storyline, it's totally aggravating!  DESIGNATED SURVIVOR was already played out, so okay.  But THE CROSSING was just getting started!  What a waste of time!  Just like V, REVOLUTION, THE EVENT, FLASHFORWARD, INVASION, SARAH CONNER CHRONICLES, PUSHING DAISIES--and a bunch more!  Why would I ever try to watch another serial on network TV?  Cable and Netflix at least usually commit to finishing storylines before putting something out there.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I kind of liked Designated Survivor's first season, or at least certain parts of it, but haven't been able to muster the enthusiasm to continue with season 2.

I think DS had a good idea, then ended up trying to be several things at once. I think the crazed conspiracy aspect of it (sort of the Maggie Q strand) was the most compelling, as opposed to the how-is-the-administration-going-to-cope-with-this-week's-sca ndal side of the show or the soap opera angle of the President struggling to balance his new role with his family life.

To be really successful it needed to be a finite show, and I think a relatively early cancellation was inevitable.

I agree with Matt's views on Quantico. Kind of engaging for a very short stint at the beginning of its first season, but tried to be too cute with endless new twists and reveals till it got to the point I just didn't care.

The Inhumans not being continued can't be a new thing. That was a show that was as DOA as any I've experienced.

Kind of enjoyed the Exorcist TV series; bit of a shame that's not returning.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Some serials are very limited in premise, like DESIGNATED SURVIVOR.  (Might have been better even as a movie.)  How PRISON BREAK ever ran five seasons is beyond me!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

THE CROSSING being cancelled didn't surprise me much. The show features too much talking and not enough action. Dhowing more of the future they came from might have helped, but I doubt it. 

And Matt Reed, me being surprised regarding THE LAST MAN ON EARTH has nothing to do with the show itself, but its ratings. I believe it came very close to being axed before this past season.

I somewhat agree with you on QUANTICO, but I gave season 2 a chance due to Blair Underwood and Russell Tovey being added to the cast. Season 2 was better than I expected, but the ending was too much of a rehash of the first season's ending (ie, the identity of one of the bad guys). Season 3 has been pretty bad so far. I've only enjoyed one episode (last week's), and I didn't care for the time jump between seasons. Season 3 takes place 3 years after season 2.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Cancelling THE EXPANSE truly sucks. The rest I don't care about.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Iím glad Brooklyn 99 was saved. I liked Designated Survivir, butbagree it had a limited shelf like. Iím a few episodes behind on Lucifer, but I hope it at least has an ending. 

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Really sad to see The Crossing on this list.  Hopefully they'll be able to wrap the story up before the end of the season.  This is one show that could have gone on for several successful seasons, IMO. 

:'-(

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Damn, NBC dumped RISE after one season. Loved the diverse cast and storylines. The students were straight, gay, black, white, Hispanic, fat, thin, transgender, poor, rich, and more. Storylines included teen pregnancy, alcoholism, how divorce affects children, religion, marriage, and foster kids.

Too bad - it needed more time to catch on.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 15 May 2018 at 11:48am
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version