Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Why Can’t We Have Concurrent Trek Movie Franchises? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm always wary about the adage "comparing apples to oranges". I may well be risking that now.

In 1983, and it did involve a unique set of circumstances, two JAMES BOND films were released. One was apocryphal, the other was in continuity, but the fact is, we got to see two Bond films.

There are numerous incarnations of Sherlock Holmes - and have been for decades. I believe The Asylum released a Holmes film around the same time as Robert Downey Jr.'s film. 

And in comics, there can be multiple continuities, e.g. a comic based on the animated Superman series was on the shelves concurrently with the mainstream Superman books.

I wish we could have the same for STAR TREK. To this day, I am disappointed DS9 and VOYAGER didn't get their shot at big-screen glory.

According to an article I read, the Abrams Universe Trek will produce another film. I do know that Abrams' universe hasn't been for everyone. Why can't we have concurrent franchises? Wouldn't that mean more money for Paramount and more choice for us all?

And wouldn't competition be healthy? Of course, I am not suggesting two Trek films should be released in the same month.

This is all extremely hypothetical, but I so wish the mainstream Trek universe - maybe even another TNG film - had been an option. Or movies devoted to DS9 and VOYAGER. If this had been done concurrently with the Abrams universe, I'd feel a lot less resentful.

Thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How well did the Abrams movies do? It's too late, I fear, for either DS9 or Voyager to get a film treatment, and a new film based on TNG might just not get enough audience.

And blasphemous and off topic though it is, I'd rather have an Orville movie. Yeah, sorry.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

We do have two Trek continuities going at the same time now. The Abrams Treks haven't stopped and Discovery is flourishing behind its pay wall on television. With the Tarantino film, we could be looking at a third. The S.J. Clarkson proposal seems solidly entrenched in the lore of Abrams, as it apparently hopes to reunite Chris Pine's Kirk with his Chris Hemsworth father, but who knows what Tarantino has up his sleeve? Maybe a "City On the Edge of Forever" scenario in a future where Hitler and Goebbels were assassinated in a movie theater at some indeterminate time during WWII. Come to think of it, if "Inglorious Basterds" took place on Ekos, the planet from "Patterns of Force," that would explain a lot of things...

As for a Voyager film, Admiral Janeway is the one who sends Picard off on his mission in Nemesis. And the Defiant gets some screen time in First Contact. That's something at least, right?

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 May 2018 at 6:12pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"A Million Ways To Die In the Vacuum of Space: The Orville Motion Picture"

And Robbie, Scott Bakula wanted me to tell you his feelings are hurt that you're not calling for an Enterprise film.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I haven't seen too much of Enterprise, Brian, but, hey, I suppose they deserved a shot as much as anyone.

In 1998 - or was it 1999? - when INSURRECTION was released, I went to the cinema with a friend. We had a beer afterwards. At the time, I said something like, "Can't be long until DEEP SPACE NINE gets its big-screen appearance." It felt inevitable. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I suppose you could still have TREK movie spinoffs, and build a more expanded universe, the way the STAR WARS and Marvel films do, but where would be the audience for such an, um, enterprise?  The appeal of the Abrams-verse has been steadily on the decline since 2009, and the average TREK film has never been a huge moneymaker, be it domestic or international.

It just doesn't seem like STAR TREK will ever reach the same box office heights of THE MOTION PICTURE, THE VOYAGE HOME or the 2009 reboot anytime soon.  And Paramount seems perfectly willing & able to only do a new film every few years, tops.  Not sure if these two competing films (Tarantino vs. TREK 4) will ever be released too close to each other.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I don't know why we can't have more movies set in Trek 'verse with different characters. Why is it so important to follow the Enterprise or Kirk/ Spock/ McCoy anyway?

And Trek history is still interesting- the Eugenics wars are all good fun potentially. A Klingon history movie about Khaless?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And Trek history is still interesting- the Eugenics wars are all good fun potentially.

World domination and potential mass slaughter is good fun?

To be honest, I think things like the Eugenics Wars and WWIII are just window dressing to help reinforce the points the current story is making rather than parts of the fiction that need fleshing out or exploration -- and the minute you go down the rabbit hole of filling in these continuity gaps you undermine the power of the original story.   

After all, these fictional 'future events' were created as analogues to avoid having to reference real world horrors like the Holocaust to make their points.   All you needed to know is that Earth had some aspects of it's past it wasn't proud of and there were likely many more such periods in our future (as in, the future of viewers watching in the late 1960's).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm still kind of amazed that they did a Holocaust metaphor in "The Conscience of the King", complete with two Jewish actors (Shatner and Nimoy) whose characters were engaged in the struggle to catch the metaphorical Nazi war criminal (Kodos).

The backstory was important window dressing for the story being told in the episode, but subtly tapping into the cultural memory of a then-relatively-recent real-world horror gave it extra power.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rob Ocelot wrote:
To be honest, I think things like the Eugenics Wars and WWIII are just window dressing to help reinforce the points the current story is making rather than parts of the fiction that need fleshing out or exploration -- and the minute you go down the rabbit hole of filling in these continuity gaps you undermine the power of the original story.

I feel that way about the Time War in DOCTOR WHO.   

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Apparently there is interest at CBS at least in doing something other than JJTrek and Discovery, and Nicholas Meyer has been working on it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version