Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Cobra Kai ~ Season 1 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Set 34 years after the original THE KARATE KID, this series reunites Ralph Macchio ("Daniel LaRusso") and William Zabka ("Johnny Lawrence") in a "where are they now" story.  The first two episodes are free on YouTube, with the next eight available if you subscribe to YouTube Red.  Worry not about subscription fees if you want to check this series out because you can sign up for a one month trial, binge the series (and test out the accompanying Google Play as part of the subscription), then drop it before your trial period ends.  

Although I was excited about the prospect of this series, I was also apprehensive.  It's hard to do these kinds of series well.  They can either feel like a cash grab or a pale imitation of the original.  I'm glad to say that it is neither.  Although there are familiar themes, the story feels genuine.  At times funny and heartbreaking, I was shocked at the depth of character of the two leads.  They aren't cutouts, but three dimensional characters that take the viewer to some surprisingly unexpected places. The series is neither trite or cute, but instead gives a real reason based on character for why it exists.  Apparently the team behind it (Harold and Kumar and Hot Tub Time Machine among their credits) are superfans of the original, but at no time do you feel that get in the way of telling a compelling story nor that this is just some fanfic that happened to get financing.  There's a love here for the original that informs rather than clouds the vision. 

At an average of 34 minutes per episode, the series cracks along at a nice pace making it an easy watch in less than a day.  The season finale easily sets up where they want to take the story next and I, for one, really look forward to it.  Highly recommended.
Back to Top profile | search

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks for the heads up, Matt. Nice to hear it's something of a love-letter to one of my favorite films from the 80s.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Big fan of the original THE KARATE KID.  Two episodes in... I'm liking it so far.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version