Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Anyone been watching this on AMC?

It features interviews with George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Keanu Reeves, Sigourney Weaver (among other Hollywood folk), along with science writers and film critics.

It's nothing monumental, but I'm quite enjoying it.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's like an earlier one, almost all about big modern movies mostly from with some tv series thrown in from what I understand. If there would be a lot on the entire breadth of films from the nineteen-ohs onward at least, if not fiction from Frankenstein up, then I'd be interested. I actually like many Cameron movies but have been planning on skipping this.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 08 May 2018 at 7:08pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Do people really plan on skipping things?

:-) Just poking fun.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I did go part way into the premiere episode, and though for a split second you might see a glimpse of Metropolis or Heinlein is mentioned, it's mainly talking with actors and referencing Close Encounters and then Independence Day. So I figure it's going to be Arnold and Whoopi and George Lucas coming up... and that's "Science-Fiction".I saw a series almost exactly like this a few years ago.

To me the 'story' of science-fiction is barely going to include Close Encounters, Independence Day, Star Wars, E.T. or Avatar, sorry. In fact I'd be a lot more likely to include scenes from THX 1138, definitely Planet Odf The Apes though for what that's worth. I'm sure H.G. Wells will have to get name-dropped along with Phil Dick if not John W. Campbell, but I'll bet they spend at least five minutes on Tom Cruise and ten on Harrison Ford! That just seems to be the kind of thing it is, but maybe it will lead some people into looking for things not really mentioned and maybe even reading something?

I am enjoying the new Ridley Scott series 'The Terror' on AMC though!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 08 May 2018 at 10:38pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The second episode got a lot more into 'proper' sci-fi. They talked about Heinlein and Arthur C Clarke, looked at Forbidden Planet, how it fed into Star Trek and how that brought sci-fi into the living room.

There is an obvious focus on film sci-fi, but they haven't completely ignored the really big literary sources. They even touched on sci-fi art (Chelsey Bonestell got a name check).

The folks they've spoken to have been a bit more eclectic than I was expecting: Ed Neumier got to talk a bit about Starship Troopers, and they had interviews with John Dykstra, Andy Weir and DC Fontana!
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Cool, I'll definitely "keep watching the skies" for Episode 2 after all then. Sorry my initial impression was so negative but after various shows about sf and on comics I guess I've come to expect the worst.

I used to have a lot of mags with Bonestell covers, he was kind of the Maxfield Parrish (landscapes version Parrish) of outer space. Hannes Bok and Edd Cartier in another direction were favorites along with the great Freas. There could be a great series just on the artists of sf.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Episode 2 was really good, even John W. Campbell was mentioned and a few short clips of Heinlein with sound, wow! I guess AMC is my favorite channel again for awhile, and Humans hasn't even started again yet. I'm not sure if AMC has the same schedule in the U.S. or not.

Thanks for wising me up to this series Peter! Can't wait for Episode 3 Monday with Del Toro...

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'd never seen any footage of Heinlein until Monday night. I just sat there with my mouth agape. It made me want to go read some of his work again.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Now they've only gone and put a clip with sound of John W. Campbell in Episode 3!!! Really nice to see, and a few old Astounding magazine covers to really show it's not all about modern hit movies. :^0

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
I'd never seen any footage of Heinlein until Monday night. I just sat there with my mouth agape. It made me want to go read some of his work again.

Always sound advice. For the hard-core fans, I recommend the recent two-volume biography. Fascinating. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version