Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Weekend Box Office: May 4-6 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No surprise that AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR dominated the box office for the second weekend in a row.  It pulled in a massive, although not record breaking, $112.4 mil and now stands at over $1.1 billion worldwide.  As no studio wanted to pit their big guns against Marvel, nothing even came close.  

Three other films opened in wide release, although the widest was just a hair over 2,000 screens compared to the 4,474 screens INFINITY WAR commands.  The best of the bunch was OVERBOARD, the remake of the 1987 film starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.  The remake starring Anna Faris and Eugenio Derbez earned a respectable $14.7 mil.  As this will more than likely be it's biggest weekend, the film should quickly fade from existence with $25-30 mil when all is said and done.

TULLY, another collaboration of the writer and director that brought us JUNO, was the next best performer of the new bunch.  It landed at #6 with a quiet thud, bringing in an estimated $3.1 mil.  As great as the reviews have been, I can't see this one having much of an impact on the overall summer box office.  

Rounding out the top ten with regard to new releases is BAD SAMARITAN, the horror thriller starring David Tennant.  With the most screens of any new release this weekend, it was only able to manage a fairly dismal $1.7 mil.  No budget listed, so this could be micro budgeted, but even with that as a consideration it's a fairly poor showing in a genre that regularly sees impressive opening weekends.  Expect this to fall off the radar, if it was even ever there, by next weekend.

Short Takes:  
- A QUITE PLACE continues to rack up impressive numbers.  This $17 mil budgeted film has already grossed nearly $160 mil domestic.  It's definitely found a place in audience's hearts and has given Paramount a much needed shot in the arm after a rather disappointing several years.  Expect to see a sequel by 2020.  
-RAMPAGE, on the other hand, is a disappointment for Warners.  Costing $120 mil, it won't end up crossing $100 mil domestic.  The saving grace is international where it's grossed nearly $300 mil.  Still, expectations were high and reality is not.
- After opening to industry shocking numbers considering the franchise, SUPER TROOPERS 2 has taken a nose dive.  It appears that the audience that wanted to see this 16-years-in-the-making sequel did just that opening weekend and then it had no legs.  It cost next to nothing to make and has already grossed more than the $18.4 mil the original made back in 2002, but my guess is that the audience for this franchise won't be able to carry it to a third theatrical film. 

Up Next: Just two films in wide release, neither of which should contest INFINITY WAR for the top spot yet again.  Gabrielle Union stars in the thriller BREAKING IN and Melissa McCarthy goes back to college with her daughter in the comedy LIFE OF THE PARTY. 

Here, as always, are the weekend box office estimates courtesy of our friends at Box Office Mojo

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How is it we live in a world where a low-budget horror movie from John Krasinski has somehow managed to make more money than the latest big-budget sci-fi offering from Steven Spielberg???

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Seems an odd time to release "Tully."  It seems better suited for Golden Globe/Oscar season.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

They were going to do a platform release of TULLY starting in April but decided against it.  Not sure why, but in hindsight it looks to be a mistake.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I see that the BLACK PANTHER is 7th for the week despite the fact it's scheduled for On-Demand this week and DVD the next week.

Not sure I've ever seen a movie that's still profitable after 3 months in the theater ready for home release. 

Will it still run in the cheap ($3 screening) movie house during this time?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

$450mill domestically in 2 weeks is crazy good.

I find a remake of Overboard an odd choice for a studio to go for -- and I'm surprised that it's been (kinda so far) successful. Is there such a thing as a fan of Overboard? I really like Kurt Russell and the 80s was when I rented a tonne of films, but I  haven't even seen Overboard.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm more shocked that OVERBOARD made over $14 million than I am that AVENGERS made $112 million...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
Is there such a thing as a fan of Overboard?

I am!  I've enjoyed it since I first saw it on cable in the late 80s.  It's a charming film with some really great comedic performances and it also has a ton of heart.  Worth checking out even if the remake doesn't speak to you.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like the original Overboard, I had no idea a remake had been made...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version