Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: BEST and WORST Secret Identity Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Whenever I watch a superhero movie or TV show, I can suspend my disbelief on the super powers but for some reason can't seem to find a convincing secret identity.  Every time Spider-Man (any of the movies) speaks, it is immediately obvious it is the actor playing Peter Parker.  When I first saw a pic of the newest Batman, I could tell immediately that it was Ben Affleck.

So forget movies and TV.  In the comics, who do you think has the most believable/convincing secret identity (and why)?  Who has the worst?

I think the best is Iron Man, because his head is totally covered and I imagine his voice is modified through a speaker.  The worst for me is Green Arrow--with that unique mustache and beard, even in civilian clothes, I think anyone would be like "hey aren't you Green Arrow??" 
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think it was at the end of the first AVENGERS movie where they showed a grateful populace getting tattoos and other things of their favorite heroes--including a bunch of people getting Tony Stark-like goatees!  That made me think--Yes!  People WOULD do that!

It made me realize--I imagine the same thing would be true in Star City!  I bet there are a thousand men in Star City who would get goatees just like the Neal Adams Green Arrow!  Oliver Queen is just another "fan"!

Likewise, Superman's identity also works--in comics!  I TOTALLY believe that someone like the Earth 1 Superman has total control over his face muscles and voice.  Just by clenching his jaw just a little, I bet Superman's face could look rock hard, while Clark Kent probably has no obvious cheekbones or other hardness in his face.  (Not to mention that Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster--I believe it was them--gave the Golden Age Superman the actual power to adjust his face!)

I think any of the full-face masks work pretty well.  Dr. Fate is best, though Iron Man should work for all the reasons you say.  I bet the comic book Spider-Man works too (the movie actors WANT to be identifiable to the audience!)--really nobody should ever suspect that the adult-looking Spider-Man was a 15 year-old high school kid (at the beginning).

Daredevil is pretty good too.  Again, it should NEVER enter anyone's mind that a blind man could be an acrobatic super-hero with great aim.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Best for me, Daredevil. No matter how much his voice would sound like Matt's there's know way my brain would take me to a place where a blind man was a costumed hero.

Worst, yeah hard to top the facial hair version of Green Arrow.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Whoa, I was typing when you posted Eric.
We practically said the same thing about DD.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dr Don Blake was probably the hardest ever to suss out. Then there's Billy Batson and Captain Hero, they were also very good.

After that, Daredevil is also one of the better ones for me; the one that immediately sprang to mind.

I'm hesitant to label anything the worst, as I think a good writer can make anything work. With all due respect to JB, I think if a world champion skier was a super hero without a mask, it might get worked out eventually in real life.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I never thought of the Green Arrow "fan" aspect like that before.  I love this forum.  Awesome!!!!  

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

worst: superman, he is constantly suspected at his work place of being
superman(I"m assuming Lois must've shared her suspicions at least a few
times) and has the same build, hair color, etc with no mask.
best: thor. No one would ever suspect

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I love the "fan" idea as well, Eric! Nicely done. I also really enjoyed your take on Superman and Clark Kent. It's true that in an early Superman story, Siegel and Shuster had our hero assume the identity of a scrub football player with just a few contortions and the application of facial muscle control. There was no reason to assume he wouldn't do the same as Superman and "relax" them as Clark.

Of course, it also helps that during Ollie's run for mayor of Star City in World's Finest, he appeared publicly with Green Arrow at a number of events courtesy of GL's power ring disguising another member of the JLA. Similarly, Tony Stark has been photographed numerous times alongside Iron Man, his former bodyguard, with one or the other as SHIELD LMD's. It doesn't have to happen too often for it to be effective.

Plastic Man's identity is a well-kept secret since he alters his facial structure entirely whenever he resumes his role as criminal "Eel" O'Brien. He doesn't live his life as Eel, however, only taking on the part when investigating crimes among his old community of lowlifes.

Peter, I agree that characters involving total transformations should be the hardest to associate with one another, except that it only takes a couple of occurrences when an emergency happens right in front of them and they must transform publicly for those to come into question.

Also, I love that you wrote "Billy Batson and Captain Hero." Captain Hero, a.k.a. Jughead, was similar to Cpt. Marvel in the sense that he only had to shout a magic phrase to turn into a mighty champion of justice, in his case, "Teeny Weenie Magic Beanie, Pointing Towards the Sky! Bring Me Muscle, Power, Vigor! Form a Super Guy!" He had one of the most obvious resemblances to his actual self since he still wore his trademark hat in both identities. In his case, as with Pureheart the Powerful (Archie), Superteen (Betty), and Evilheart (Reggie) they were all protected by the "PH Factor," a memory-fogging effect that would inevitably follow any of their super appearances, causing the public to forget that the super-heroes had even shown up.

Edited by Brian Hague on 06 May 2018 at 1:43am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 2:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The best answers have probably been chosen but a couple of others spring to mind as well.

It seems obvious now because it's been revealed for so long, but once upon a time, The Hulk wouldn't have been suspected to be 'Puny Banner.' Mainly because folks wouldn't have thought the Hulk actually had a secret identity!
Generally shape changers would be the best.

Worst?...Hmm...Powergirl! :)

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was about to say Bruce Banner but didn't know if it was for worst (a Jekyll and Hyde rip-off) of best (highly difficult to uncover)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Worst one: He-Man (in the 80s cartoon and tie-in comics). Prince Adam and He-Man have the same face/hairstyle.

Best one: has to be Daredevil.

Jason Scott wrote:
It seems obvious now because it's been revealed for so long, but once upon a time, The Hulk wouldn't have been suspected to be 'Puny Banner.'

I agree as far as the comics go.

I did used to think about this whilst watching the live-action Hulk series. Jack McGee saw the Hulk numerous times in the first season. On one occasion ("The Hulk Breaks Las Vegas"), McGee is close to Hulk, who is wearing only jeans; in "Terror in Times Square", he sees Hulk wearing jeans and a ripped shirt. Did he think the Hulk was changing into different kinds of ripped clothes as he went from city to city? 

Not to mention the fact that Hulk's face began to change in "The Hulk Breaks Las Vegas". A crook shot him, reversing the change to Banner, but McGee must surely have had suspicions early on in the season.

*SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES*

McGee learnt that the Hulk was really a man in the two-part "Mystery Man" (Season 2).

Edited by Robbie Parry on 06 May 2018 at 7:04am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Best - I suspect it's a tie between Plastic Man (who can change his appearance and, apparently, his voice), and the original Captain Marvel (who looks and sounds NOTHING like his secret identity - if an onlooker didn't see him transform, there would be no way to even suspect the relationship.) I'll include Chameleon Boy of the Legion, who has often had to take on an identity that isn't his - even though his ability is a racial trait.

Worst - I'm minded to think that a public ID would fall into this - so maybe the Fantastic Four or the Elongated Man, or (now) Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, etc.

DISCUSSIONS: Superman was shown with the face shaping ability once, or perhaps twice. I'm not sure that counts as an ability. Of course, he can make himself sound like anyone he wishes.

Captain Hero looks exactly the same as Jughead. That's the same reason I wouldn't pick Mary Marvel or Captain Marvel Jr. as best in addition to Cap.

The Hulk is questionable. If one DIDN'T see his transformation, then no one would ever suspect; I think it was once established that even Banner's and Hulk's faces are different.

On the other hand, Banner has often been unable to run and hide when he transforms, and the Hulk just hasn't thought of it. So it would likely be pretty obvious after being observed once or twice publicly.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version