Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Your Top 3 Sea-going/Underwater Vehicles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Please pick three. I know the rule may seem arbitrary, but as someone who once had to read a list of 25+ favourites on a wrestling forum once, I think it's far more enjoyable to get folk to THINK rather than post "laundry lists".

Choices had to have featured in a TV show, but they needn't have started off as TV shows (so if the vehicle debuted in a comic, that's fine). They can be vehicles that travel underwater or above water, but they must be water-based. So, no, you can't include KITT just because he has occasionally travelled across water. ;-)

For me, it has to be: 

Thunderbird 4
Bulstrode (from THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE)
Skydiver (from Gerry Anderson's UFO)

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

STINGRAY -- Not a favorite on the level of Fireball XL5 or Supercar, but still I have great fondness from tweens.

SEAVIEW -- the show has not held up over the years, but the sub design has.

THE GOLDEN HIND -- bit of a cheat, maybe. A real ship, but remembered from the fictionalized SIR FRANCIS DRAKE I loved when I was a kid in Canada.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

SEAVIEW - such an incredible design. My brother built me one out of cardboard - all angles but the general shape

THE FLYING SUB - just because. Itís a flying submarine

THUNDERBIRD 4 - like the flying sub, a yellow underwater vehicle. I think I loved it more for its association to Thunderbird 2, but I still loved it

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm going to cheat anyhow, because, y'know, it's what I do.

The Love Boat
The Ocean Patrol's boat P-1
Iron Man's armor - I know it was shown underwater more than once or twice, and I like it.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BATBOAT- from Batman '66. some of the few highlights from seasons 2 and 3 was seeing that boat. So cool to look at.

PT73- From McHales Navy. Not pretty to look at but that little boat did some heavy hero work thru out the run.

FAN BOAT- From Gentle Ben. I thought it was the coolest ,strangest looking thing when I was young. I so badly wanted to operate one of those.

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wait! UNDERwater. Then I don't have a third.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The rules allow for above-water craft as well.

My objection to the limiting number isn't that it's arbitrary. I'm fine with that. My problem is with the amount of focus the number gains throughout the length of thread as enforcement outweighs enjoyment, or becomes the enjoyment for a certain subset of fans. 

I also, if I may say so, find the admonitions to THINK condescending. Do you really believe the people here won't? Once again, something happened on another board long ago, and you're still reacting to it today. It's your thread, however, and I welcome you to run it however you like. 

Myself, I would think a simple "Please limit your choices to three. No laundry lists." would serve the purpose without the accompanying drama, especially if violators aren't showcased and publicly flogged for their temerity. Your choice entirely, of course.

I'd play along just to demonstrate that I'm not holding any bad feelings over our previous falling out, but Robbie, I have to say that I'm hard pressed to come up with even one example. I liked "The Man From Atlantis" back in the day and find Belinda Montgomery from that show especially attractive, so the Cetacean perhaps? The Magic School Bus maybe..? It's submersible, but not strictly water-based, so it may not qualify. This one's a toughie.

Edited by Brian Hague on 05 May 2018 at 7:00pm

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Disney Nautilus
The Seaview
And, if it counts, the Proteus from Fantastic Voyage

Edit: Oops missed the TV qualifier. I believe the Disney Nautilus design was re-used for the Once Upon a Time TV show, so I'll keep that one. To stick with the theme of my original third choice, I'll then go with the Discovery from the Fantastic Voyage animated series.

Edited by Greg Nyman on 05 May 2018 at 8:56pm

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

USS Flagg- GIJoe: mostly because I loved the toy. 
SS Minnow- Gilliganí Island: wasnít afloat long, but led to a lot of laughs. 
The Nautilus- Once Upon a Time: not many episodes but I enjoyed those it was in.  Cool sub design. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
My objection to the limiting number isn't that it's arbitrary. I'm fine with that. My problem is with the amount of focus the number gains throughout the length of thread as enforcement outweighs enjoyment, or becomes the enjoyment for a certain subset of fans. 

I also, if I may say so, find the admonitions to THINK condescending. Do you really believe the people here won't? Once again, something happened on another board long ago, and you're still reacting to it today. It's your thread, however, and I welcome you to run it however you like.

Brian, let me try and explain better, my friend.

I do believe people will think - and it's not meant to be patronising.

Regarding the other board, it wasn't one example. It was a wrestling forum that also had an off-topic forum. There was another topic where a guy asked for favourite films. And one guy must have posted around 40 choices! Other people did the same. What that meant was, each post was just a "laundry list" of 40 titles. Limiting the numbers, if that had been possible, would have made for a better read.

And whenever there was a "choose your favourite" topic on the main wrestling forum, you could get long laundry lists, often without any context or explanation. So you were just reading a list of words than anything substantial.

Reading posts with three (or one, or two) choices, along with explanations, is more satisfying for me. If I were to read 25, 30 or 40, it'd just be a "laundry list". I could quite easily name 40 fictional characters I like.

Just wanted to explain that. I like your posts, and I don't want to ever give the impression I am obsessed with rules (ironically, I've always reacted badly to rules in the real world, e.g. arbitrary workplace rules). Again, I do believe people will think. But the real reason I have the limit on three is for fun: for me personally, I enjoy narrowing something down to three; I enjoy "debating with myself" about whether to include this or that, whether this deserves a spot over that, etc.

EDIT: At least I learnt what The Magic School Bus was, I hadn't heard of it until now. :)

EDIT 2: As I respect you, Brian, and I did feel bad about the falling out (I'd always enjoyed interacting), I will give the "Please limit your choices to three. No laundry lists" thing a go. I'll post that because I do want these kinds of threads to be enjoyable, I don't want them to be non-enjoyable. As someone who once worked for the civil service, which had a lot of rules, I don't want an online equivalent of that! 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 06 May 2018 at 3:18am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robbie, we definitely see eye to eye on a great many things, and the respect is mutual. You are, after all is said and done, the man who gave me back my enjoyment of "Space: 1999." For that alone, I owe you much. :-)

Thanks for the explanation. I get where it is frustrating to read scattershot lists where the point seems to be full inclusion as opposed to more reasonable, narrow selections with accompanying rationales. They are more fun to read, and one is far more likely to learn something from them about the characters or the writer. There's nothing wrong with expecting a little bit more from others. Saying so can be awkward, though. :-)

And I am all about enjoyable, fun threads!  

I wonder if the Magic School Bus ever made it over to the United Kingdom in any significant fashion. Over here, there was a fun theory circulated in the day that Ms. Frizzle and River Song were one and the same and that the School Bus was in fact a Tardis with a functional chameleon circuit. There's also a fun meme you might want to look up entitled, "Dammit, Ms. Frizzle!" which posits numerous unhappy endings to the class's field trips into the unknown.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Greg, I considered the Nautilus, but my reasoning was going to include the 1976 television broadcast on "The Wonderful World of Disney" in which the 1954 film was edited into two parts. I wasn't sure that would fly, however. If the same design was, in fact, employed on the show you mention, I'll go ahead that throw that in as my third choice. It's hard to beat the Nautilus for sheer steampunk riveted beauty and elegance.
My teenage nephew likes the design and wears a pin of it on his hat alongside several others with military and video game themes.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I get where it is frustrating to read scattershot lists where the point seems to be full inclusion as opposed to more reasonable, narrow selections with accompanying rationales. They are more fun to read, and one is far more likely to learn something from them about the characters or the writer. There's nothing wrong with expecting a little bit more from others. Saying so can be awkward, though. :-)

Thanks for understanding. It's like with the film topic at that wrestling forum. I'd rather read people's thoughts about their top 3-5 films than a list of 20, 30 or 40 in each post. One learns nothing that way. ;-)

Edited by Robbie Parry on 06 May 2018 at 5:15am

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The Seaview was incredible.  I favored the later design that had fewer windows at the bow. VTTBOTS was one of my favorite shows.

The Flying Sub (especially when breaching the water) gave me chills when I was a kid.  Actually I lied.  I watched some clips on YouTube recently and it still makes me grin like an idiot.

Proteus from Fantastic Voyage (I ONLY saw this movie on TV so....it counts for me) is technically a submarine and Rachel Welch wore a stunning white wet suit and what were we talking about again?

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 May 2018 at 6:07am

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

But if Proteus is indeed invalid....then Thunderbird 4 gets the 3rd slot.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 May 2018 at 6:09am

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Greg, I considered the Nautilus, but my reasoning was going to include the 1976 television broadcast on "The Wonderful World of Disney" in which the 1954 film was edited into two parts. I wasn't sure that would fly, however. If the same design was, in fact, employed on the show you mention, I'll go ahead that throw that in as my third choice. It's hard to beat the Nautilus for sheer steampunk riveted beauty and elegance.
My teenage nephew likes the design and wears a pin of it on his hat alongside several others with military and video game themes.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
Yeah, they definitely went with the classic design. Once Upon a Time is a Disney show.

https://yzgeneration.com/once-upon-a-time-saison-6-episode-0 6/

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:17am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Seaquest DSV 4600

The Batboat

Thunder, the boat from THUNDER IN PARADISE

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Stingray

Thunderbird 4

Flying Sub

James Woodcock...i built a rudimentary model of
Seaview at school out of a kitchen roll tube,
cardboard and ping pong ball! I painted it and
`waterproofed` it by applying numerous coats of PVA
glue...it didn`t work!
I also eventually got an Aurora plastic model kit from
Beatties toy dept in Wolves, in those days it was an
Aladdin`s cave of goodies!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Good grief, more people remember & like the flying sub than I thought. I used to have a kit if that but it broke when I tried to make it fly

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Brian Hague: ...I have to say that I'm hard pressed to come up with even one example. I liked "The Man From Atlantis" back in the day and find Belinda Montgomery from that show especially attractive, so the Cetacean perhaps?

Brian, I swear: we must be related. Belinda Montgomery was my first out-and-out TV crush.

I'm going to put the Cetacean from MFA on my list, too...

...not an especially practical design, and maybe a bit too evocative of the Discovery from 2001, but I always thought it was kind of cool.

For the other two, I'll follow JB's cue and pick Seaview and Stingray.

Edited by Ted Downum on 09 May 2018 at 7:39am

Thomas Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

STINGRAY
THUNDERBIRD 4
SKYDIVER (from Gerry Anderson's UFO)

All Gerry Anderson shows but then that's what I grew up with and they  always bring fond memories of the shows they are in.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Whoops... Have to be TV only:

The Dragon Submarine from the Speed Racer episode "Gang of Assassins"

The Loch Ness monster submarine from VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (Season One)

Space Battleship Yamato (both original and 2199 versions, since oceans tend to be the main launching, landing, and mooring points throughout the series)

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 11 May 2018 at 6:55am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The Beatles' Yellow Submarine, Stingray, and whatever vehicle Piper and Bolton in the old Marineboy cartoons had. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 10 May 2018 at 9:24pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Rebecca, The P-1!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ted, we very well might be related. I'm thinking about getting one of those Ancestry.com DNA tests done. If your name does indeed come up in the results, I'll need all of those backdated birthday and Christmas cards immediately, with the appropriate cash gifts enclosed, of course. :-)

In the meantime, we can reminisce about the lovely Belinda Montgomery. Did you see the episode in which Pat Morita plays a mischievous sea sprite whose touch makes people behave like irrational children? It was so much fun watching Dr. Merrill laugh her head off and have a good time for a change. Downright heartwarming. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version