Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK.

Sounds promising.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just reading the first couple of paragraphs strips away any enthusiasm I might have.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Great, another on-demand service. Yet another subscription. How I pine for the days when 99% of shows would end up on cable. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The article mentioned a Swamp Thing cartoon in the 90's. I looked it up on Youtube and was variously amused and horrified. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ah the one which reworks ''Wild Thing" as the opening theme!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
How I pine for the days when 99% of shows would end up on cable.

Customers said they wanted A la carte options rather than bundles.  They said they wanted to pay for what they wanted to watch and not pay for what they didn't.  This is the result.  

On the one hand, we can be upset that we have to pay for it.  On the other hand, ain't no way this show would have gotten a pick up on traditional television.  At least now you have a choice to see it.  Up to you. Sign up for a month after the full series is offered (at much less than you'd pay for the DVD, Blu-ray or digital set) watch it and the other offerings of the service, then drop it.  Probably set you back $5 American.  Maybe $10.  For a month.  Don't know about you, but I don't need to own everything I enjoy.  I just want to see it.  When I pay $26 for a single 3D IMAX ticket to INFINITY WAR for 2.5 hours?  That $10 for a month of content sounds like a steal!

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hadn't seen that animated version before. Wish I still hadn't.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Matt, I appreciate what you are saying, but I was one of those who preferred the old system.

The other issue I have is when a streaming site is "US/Canada only". I'm told a web-only STARGATE series will be North America only. That's a shame. I'd like to see it. I'd like a channel to pick it up.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime - and they are great! - but will we reach a stage where exclusivity becomes even more exclusive? Will individual programmes set up streaming? Will some bypass Netflix and Prime entirely?

I preferred the old cable system. Sure, I had no interest in some shows, but the packages did offer me choice. When I had Sky Atlantic, I was able to watch BLUE BLOODS. I didn't care what other shows were on that channel, BLUE BLOODS was good enough for me. But if the show went exclusively to yet another streaming service, that'd be frustrating.

Can't help but think there's a happy medium somewhere. :)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Robbie, what I have a problem with is when a show in on a streaming subscription service that you have to pay extra for here in the U.S., but the rest of the world gets it another way. (Like STAR TREK DISCOVERY being on CBS All Access here, but everyone else gets it on Netflix. There's nothing on CBS All Access that I'd be willing to pay for.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Different strokes.  CBS All Access has the complete Trek library including the animated series.  It has complete series runs of CHEERS, FRAISER, I LOVE LUCY, the original and reboot of HAWAII FIVE-O, TAXI, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE ODD COUPLE,  THE GOOD WIFE, SURVIVOR, BIG BROTHER, FAMILY TIES, WINGS  and BLUE BLOODS among many others. The also have the excellent spin-off series THE GOOD FIGHT.  Most of the pre-1990 series come commercial free even if you don't pay for that option, like me. 

It's well worth my $6/month.  

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The reason streaming services have been so successful is because you get a lot of bang for the buck. When that's no longer the case, they'll fail as many already have like Yahoo's brief attempt and NBC's Seeso. People aren't going to want to pay for 20 different streaming services any more than they want to pay for over-priced cable or satellite packages. I currently have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and CBS All Access (which I'm considering dropping until something new is on it like the Twilight Zone reboot) but I think I'm at my limit. As some of the smaller ones fail, the bigger streaming services will  likely get at least some of the content they lost to them back. Like Community season six is available on Hulu now after being exclusive to Yahoo who made it. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 04 May 2018 at 5:35pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Matt, I should have clarified that they don't have any original series that I'd be willing to pay for. From what I've heard of DISCOVERY, it isn't all that great, and I already own the complete animated Star Trek on dvd. I *might* have some interest once the new Twilight Zone reboot debuts and reviews are in. I wasn't impressed with the past reboots that much.

Right now, we have too many shows we DVR, and are even considering dropping Netflix streaming (we dropped the DVDs last year). I haven't even had time to watch more than 4 episodes of MST3K: THE RETURN since it debuted. (Heidi and I both have a few shows we can't watch when the other is around, and sadly it is one of those she won't watch.)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I might be excited about a brand new comic book TV network (pay or otherwise) and something like SWAMP THING done right would be great.

BUT...the things I've read and seen about TITANS and METROPOLIS do NOT make me enthusiastic about this particular endeavor.  (How...HOW...can Warners keep screwing up so much?)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Warners and those in the DC Entertainment branch have no concept of what their product is or why it exists. They seem to kowtow to those with the "creative vision" they deem absent in the characters already. "Yeah, yeah, we know who Superman is. Everyone knows who Superman is. But who is he really...?" If you can walk in and convince them Superman is a product of survivor's guilt who must save an equal number of people as those that died on Krypton and leads a monastic life of self-torture as a result, they might buy that. Sounds reasonable anyway. Or hey, maybe he's a twenty-something laid back guy who doesn't see what all the fuss is about. Yeah, he flies and saves people. Hey, you'd do the same in his position, right? He's no more special than you, bro. So, can we put the adulation and woooo, scary stuff away now and just, I don't know, party? Attach the right actor to that and Warners might just give it a go. They have no idea who the guy is apparently and will follow the lead of anyone who does.

Similarly, they have no idea who the Justice League are. They don't know why people buy the comics or care about their stories. If you can tell them, great. They'd love to hear it. 

Marvel found its tone early and decided then and there what their brand was. Had the glibber-than-thou Rob't Downey Jr. version of Stark tanked, Marvel would be on a different path now. It didn't, and that early success made all the later ones possible. 

DC and Warners theoretically have one success to go off of now in Wonder Woman and they tried, unsuccessfully, to bring some of that light-heartedness into the JLA movie, completely missing the dozen other elements that made that film so much fun to watch. They'd do well to decide now what it is they're selling and how they want to come off in theatres. Doubling down on the misery and depression was a bad call and shouldn't be repeated. Trying to find that basic decency and humanity Wonder Woman displayed, alongside the raw courage and ability to interact with human beings as equals would be a better decision, but until someone walks in and sells them that, they're apparently never going to pick up on it themselves.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The Swamp Thing animated show was a product of that sad era when every toy line had to have an accompanying cartoon. All the more so if there had been a movie attached to the property. Swamp Thing was following in the well-worn path of Robocop.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
The Swamp Thing animated show was a product of that sad era when every toy line had to have an accompanying cartoon. All the more so if there had been a movie attached to the property. Swamp Thing was following in the well-worn path of Robocop.

Yes, I remember a Swamp Thing vehicle (can't really call it a car) as part of the toyline.

Most shocking to me was RAMBO getting a cartoon. So, the haunted Vietnam veteran, who didn't want to fight in the first movie, became a willing, G.I. Joe-style character for the cartoon. Okay...

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

"But as powerful forces descend on Houma, intent on exploiting the swamp’s mysterious properties for their own purposes, Abby will discover that the swamp holds mystical secrets, both horrifying and wondrous — and the potential love of her life may not be gone after all."

This isn't the Wein/Wrightson original idea or the Alan Moore reinterpretation. Sounds hopelessly generic. "It's a mystic swamp!" Pass.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The Greg Capullo artwork they are using to
promote the show, rocks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version