Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Marvel UK reprrints Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This one's for any UK residents of this forum. Does anyone remember buying comics published in magazine format that reprinted US comics?

I used to buy the Secret wars (1 & 2) which also had many backups of JB's FF run and even some limited editions run such as the Ice Man four parter and and I think The New Mutants Fallen Angels limited edition (memory is very sketchy It's been a long time).

I also bought an old Thundercats book that I had when I was a kid and had thrown away (foolish, I know) and there was a backup of Power Pack. I'd forgotten that most of my knowledge of Marvel had come from reprints rather than from the actual books published by Marvel.

I found out a few years back that I'd had quite a bit of JBs Superman run via Albion publishing who reprinted his work back in '88. Being a kid I never paid attention to who was penciling or writing books and I wish now I'd taken more care of them and not thrown them away as I'd have loved to have re-read them now.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Trevor Thompson wrote:
 Does anyone remember buying comics published in magazine format that reprinted US comics?

Absolutely. 

Here's some:

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Spider-Man and Zoids another mag I used to read.

Dez Skinn who was EiC of Marvel UK had a great site about the histroy of Marvel UK but it's down now. It was really in-depth and mentioned meeting Stan Lee and Jim Shooter. Shame it's not archived.

Andrew Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

fond memories of this comic 

Peter Sullivan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I had these from day one when I was a kid in London. The newsagent would deliver them every Saturday morning with the newspapers. My Mom would get them ordered for me and I collected them all, yes that’s all titles until I was about 14 or so. I was always mad for comics and loved them all. I still have a great many of them stored in the loft (attic). They were one of the treasured items I had shipped over to the US when I moved here back in ’91.

Must dig some out soon and spend a weekend looking through these comics from a very fondly remembered childhood.

Cheers, Peter 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I had a variety of strange odds-n-sods Marvel titles from England (thanks to a papers and sweets shop over here)... they were great for getting to read things like the first Wolverine in the Hulk, and when there was a new splash page or cover not in the U.S. colour issue. I still think of the Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly as being the 'real' edition for him and the U.S. ones as reprints. I think the same was the case for Captain Britain. If I collected any I would collect the 'Fantastic' title which had '60s X-men paired with '60s Iron Man, but sometimes the costume colours are totally wrong!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I still have a load of these in my garage. Mighty world of marvel, Spider-Man, forces in Combat (had ROM, Fury & his howling commandos in it), Rampage, etc.

They also went through a phase of pocket sized ones - Chillers, Spider-Man, X-Men

What was interesting is that the to]itle would often change as comics merged with one another. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's JB's Superman reprints for the UK. I think they came out around '88. Comes with a free badge! Haha.

Edited by Trevor Thompson on 02 May 2018 at 9:45am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

In 1990, London Editions Magazines, who had the licence to reprint DC adventures in the UK, published DC ACTION. With a card cover, and glossy pages, it reprinted THE NEW TEEN TITANS, SECRET ORIGINS and ANIMAL MAN. 

It only ran for six issues (low sales, I guess). First issue cover here:

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I picked up DC action, very strange including Animal Man.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They also had a title called ZONES, which didn't last long (four issues, I think). I wasn't surprised as it covered the really esoteric stuff:

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I used to buy the Secret wars (1 & 2) which also had many backups of JB's FF run and even some limited editions run such as the Ice Man four parter and and I think The New Mutants Fallen Angels limited edition (memory is very sketchy It's been a long time).

The original back-up in the SW reprints was Alpha Flight - I guess there wasn't any crossover with characters in the SW strip so both could sit alongside each other whilst, if I recall correctly, they also included the origin tales which were a nice length for a back-up that didn't require cutting at all. 

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version