Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Big Finish Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have never been able to understand my own mind on this (which is scary), but I have zero interest in Big Finish's range of DW adventures.

Around since the late 90s, BF have published countless DW audio adventures. Whilst some consider them apocryphal, others consider them to be canon. They have produced various adventures for the countless Doctors, but also for his associates, too.

BF have also released adventures devoted to the likes of THE PRISONER, CAPTAIN SCARLET, etc. (They do interest me).

I cannot put my finger on why - anyone got a mind scanner? - but DOCTOR WHO adventures via the BF range interest me in no way, shape or form. I don't mind derivative media - annuals, comics - but for whatever reason, even when they get the original actors to reprise their roles, listening to a an audio adventure is anathema to me. 

I don't know, maybe it's the lack of visuals. TV/DVDs are visual. As are comics. Novels aren't visual, but as someone who loves reading, it's great to immerse myself in books. But listening to DW adventures just seems like a poor substitute for the shows.

Perhaps I am interested in THE PRISONER or CAPTAIN SCARLET audio adventures because those shows are long over - and no new TV adventures are likely to be produced. But with DOCTOR WHO still ongoing, even if there are fewer episodes nowadays, I can't get enthusiastic about BF adventures.

Thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2018 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like Doctor Who and have written for radio so you'd think I'd love BF, but having delved into a couple of adventures, I delved back out again. Didn't take to them at all but couldn't put my finger on why.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The more I think about it, the more I feel it fulfils no need for me.

Tie-in merchandise such as comics are visual. So they fill a need when the show isn't on the air. Books fill a need as any book will be able to provide more exposition than any TV episode/movie.

But what need does BF fulfil? It doesn't. It isn't visual so it can't fulfil that need for me. And when I've attempted to listen to it, I just think to myself, 'I'd much rather be watching a TV episode.' 

It just doesn't gel for me.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 30 April 2018 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I do like BF. I have a number of 4th, 8th and the 10th adventures. I also have
most of the Torchwood material. I think part of the issue, for me, is that even
the best BF Doctor story is, well...just not a good story. If it were a great
Doctor story, we would see it on the series. I think of them as the moments
between what we've seen (I know the 6th and 8th stories have gone beyond
that), and enjoy them for what they are. I do enjoy how much Tom Baker and
David Tennant have stepped back into the personas like they never left. The
Torchwood stories are a bit different for me, as no matter how good a story
might be, we're not getting any more on screen adventures.

One downside of my no longer having a longer commute to/from work is that I
don't have as much dedicated time to listen. They were perfect for the 45-60
minute commutes.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I grew up listening to audio drama on Radio 4, so I can enjoy an audio adventure every bit as much as something on the telly box. I think Big Finish have produced some fabulous Doctor Who adventures that have put the recent televison stories to shame.I greatly enjoy what I can afford of Big Finish's output but, as my wife insists on us eating and having a roof over our heads, I limit myself to the adventures of the 4th, 5th and 8th Doctors, plus the Dalek Empire stories.

Outside of Doctor Who, I also indulge in The Prisoner range, but as writer Nick Briggs is hopelessly overstretched, there is a year and a half wait between new volumes. The first box set was a wonderful audio take on The Prisoner but the second was a bit weak and started to p*ss over some of McGoohans ideas (like or loathe Fall Out, it's what McGoohan wrote and it shouldn't be so casually dismissed). I'd love to pick up more of The Avengers and Captain Scarlet, but those CDs aren't getting any cheaper and I'm not getting any richer. Thank goodness for all the sales they have (worth keeping an eye on their website or Facebook page for some good offers).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I kind of dipped my toes into them with some of Paul McGann Doctors. Then  got a Tom Baker package deal, but I find them pretty costly to import to say the least! And there are so bloody many, I wouldn't want to get started really, but the Star Cops ones will be pretty enticing as I really liked the original '80s series despite some flaws.

I've always enjoyed vintage audio drama from a Vancouver, Canada radio station at night, and then with the internet have gotten to hear even more. I also love a good radio documentary, the BBC regions have done some real gems on H.P. Lovecraft and Delia Derbyshire.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Andrew Saxon wrote:
The first box set was a wonderful audio take on The Prisoner but the second was a bit weak and started to p*ss over some of McGoohans ideas (like or loathe Fall Out, it's what McGoohan wrote and it shouldn't be so casually dismissed).

Are you able to say more, please? I am curious.

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
...but I find them pretty costly to import to say the least!

That is true. You need a second mortgage to afford them. I am glad they are of no interest to me!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Andrew, can you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend some BF 4th or 8th Doctors audios I should check out when I have enough money to do so? Thanks.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

They run frequent sales...the downloads are usually cheaper, and the BF app
works nicely for me to listen to my purchases.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Re: The Prisoner - Are you able to say more, please? I am curious

Not really, it would ruin the story for you if you ever do pick up Volume 2. (Send me an email, Robbie)

Andrew, can you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend some BF 4th or 8th Doctors audios I should check out when I have enough money to do so? Thanks.

With the 8th Doctor I'd start at the beginning with Storm Warning and work forwards. It's worth doing it that way rather than dipping in and out because it's the 8th Doctor's journey from the TV Movie to the Time War. Some stories are bound to appeal more than others, but you really get a sense of crossing the bridge between classic and 21st century Doctor Who.

With the 4th Doctor things are more difficult. Tom Baker is getting old (aren't we all?!!) and you have to realise going in that you are not getting the 4th Doctor you saw on television, but Tom Baker doing an impression of himself as the 4th Doctor...if that makes sense. However, Tom Baker reading his shopping list would be a joy, so the stories are still worth a listen. Personally, my favourites have been the adventures he has recorded with lovely Louise Jameson returning as Leela.

By the way, as someone else has mentioned, if you are overseas you can avoid shipping costs by purchasing the downloads (you can save precious shelf space that way too...there are so many of those CDs now!). There are frequent sales - only recently, downloads of the first fifty stories were being sold for 99p each. It really is worth keeping an eye on the Big Finish website. Go to the 'Ranges' section and check out 'Big Finish for Free' for extracts and some complete stories available to download for the wonderful price of nothing at all.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I havenít tried any yet, but if your local library participates with Hoopla, you can borrow some Big Finish titles for free. 

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's a little hit and miss. Have really enjoyed a lot of the 6th Doctor BF productions. I always thought that 6 was hard done by when it comes to TV. But the BF material has allowed Colin Baker to really shine.

I have to say thought that I really did enjoy Colin Baker as the Doctor on TV. Although I think I'm in the minority.

The Last Adventure, in particular is worth checking out if you like the 6th Doctor Robbie. A great send off for him.

I am actually amazed at the output of Big Finish. Not sure if anyone could afford all the releases, certainly try to release something for everyone.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I might check out the Colin Baker audios. I didn't like that Doctor for various reasons, but Colin Baker was not one of them, so sad it was he who was shown the door. Unfortunately I really dislike the CB companions, I guess if I have to listen to one I would choose 'Mel Bush' even though others cite her character as the all-time least favorite. Bonnie Langford would likely want nothing to do with it from how I remember things. I'd be happier with the penguin from the comics really, or someone made up by Big Finish.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Bonnie Langford has been reprising the role of Mel for Big Finish since 2000, including a number of Sixth Doctor stories.

Frobisher has appeared in two Sixth Doctor stories - The Holy Terror and The Maltese Penguin - where he was voiced by Robert Jezek who played Sergeant Zbrigniev in Battlefield

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 20 May 2018 at 5:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Good for her! I think some people didn't like her screams, and there was the gaudy costumes and hair-dos, but a straight-forward goodie could balance a rather dark Doctor (even in a very loud coat).

Thanks for the Frobisher tips, I would probably start there. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 May 2018 at 5:18pm

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

It was in his early Big Finish audio adventures that the 6th Doctor met his perfect companion in the form of Evelyn Smythe. Far from being one of his usual young dolly bird companions, Evelyn was a 55 year old professor of history who could give as good as she got. Travelling with a more mature companion seemed to mellow the 6th Doctor and (as far as I'm concerned) he became much more likeable than he ever was on television. Very sadly, Maggie Stables who played Evelyn, passed away in  2014.

If you want a good Evelyn story to listen to then try The Spectre of Lanyon Moor. It's a terrific spooky tale set in Cornwall, and the Brigadier is in it too. Very highly recommended.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Thanks! I will try to check into that one, sounds good.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version