Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Choose Your DC/Marvel Battles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Imagine that DC and Marvel have decided to produce a quarterly team-up book. So that'd be four issues a year.

For your first four issues, what would be the scenarios?

They can be anything. A DC hero vs a DC villain, a Marvel villain vs a DC villain, etc. You can have a DC team taking on a solo Marvel villain or a Marvel solo hero taking on a DC team. You can have two DC heroes taking on two DC villains. Let your imagination go wild. Be predictable if you wish (e.g. Green Arrow and Hawkeye) or unpredictable (Spider-Woman and Dr. Strange VS Joker and Penguin). It's up to you.

In addition to reading a list, do feel free to say WHY you chose something. You don't have to, but it can be interesting to understand the mindset. And one person I haven't seen eye-to-eye with here, and from which there was conflict that I take some responsibility for, PLEASE contribute here if you wish. I would appreciate your input as much as anyone else's. I extend the olive branch to you. :)

Here are my four issues:

#1: Batman and Spider-Man take on Norman Osborn (not in his Green Goblin identity), Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman. Osborn finances the wicked foursome in a desire to destroy the Dark Knight and web-slinger.

#2: Superman and Wolverine take on Lex Luthor and Sabretooth. Luthor gives Sabretooth some Kryptonite to "even the odds" with the Man of Steel. Wolverine goes on a rampage in Lexcorp HQ.

#3: Dr. Octopus & The Joker go on a rampage in New York at a time when all the super-powered heroes have become trapped in space whilst battling an alien foe. Can any non-powered heroes stop them?

#4: The Thing & Green Lantern take on Sinestro and Doctor Doom. Doom forms a loose alliance with Sinestro, plotting  Before that, though, the Thing and GL have an inevitable punch-up.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

OK, I've had some thoughts along these lines before, so, pulling them together, here is what I would like to see--

1. CAPTAIN AMERICA & WONDER WOMAN in a romance story, with UNCLE SAM showing up to perform the (aborted) wedding ceremony, but MASTER MAN, WARRIOR WOMAN, and BARON BLITZKRIEG crash the party.

2.SUPERMAN vs. a Marvel bad guy.  He doesn't really have that many powerhouse villains and Marvel has an overabundance of Stan Lee-created (or co-created) big baddies, I can't really choose just one!  OK, let's start with the MANDARIN!

3. CAPTAIN MARVEL (Shazam) done totally in classic Marvel style, in New York, caught up in a battle between RONAN THE ACCUSER and the SUPER-SKRULL.

4. SPIDER-MAN & BLUE BEETLE (Ted Kord)--these two have to meet at some point!  I would say that they should switch villains, but since I can't think of any that BB has, how about send them both against the RED RAJAH (from THE DEFENDERS)?  And maybe squeeze in BB facing off against the SINISTER SIX members in some way as well.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'll give it a shot, Robbie!

January - Batman lent a hand the last time the FF defeated the Super
Skull, and now that the evil alien is back, he wants revenge! Does the caped
crusader have a prayer of defeating such a powerful foe all by his lonesome? -
by Alan Davis (with Mark Farmer) and John Byrne

April - When Black Manta decides to use Namorita as bait to lure cousin
Namor into a trap, he doesn't realize just how much royal Atlantean might runs
in the family! IMPERIUS REX! (I know. I know. IMPERIUS PRINCEPS doesn't
have quite the same ring to it though.) - Amanda Conner and Justin Gray

July - Who takes on Doctor Octopus when your friendly neighborhood
Spider-Man isn't around to wrangle the multi-armed menace? Why the city's
second favorite insect-themed hero, of course! Enter: Blue Beetle! (I
promise I came up with the idea to use BB before reading Eric's response!) - by
John Romita, Sr. and Stan Lee

October - Sinestro has escaped from his banishment to the Negative
Zone, and it's up to the Fantastic Four to stop the enraged renegade Lantern
from destroying all of New York! - by John Byrne and Alan Davis
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

1. Thor Odinson and Hal Jordan first battle and then join forces when the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum takes over the Nine Worlds, one color infiltrating and altering each; The Death Goddess Hela and her realm of Hel are subsumed into the Black; The White is exiled to snowy Niffleheim; Blue shines over Alfheimr, home of the Light Elves; Orange takes over the realm of the Dwarves, making the crafty folk stingy and selfish, hoarding their riches; And so on throughout the Nine Worlds. Earth or Midgard is still in dispute, as the Yellow (Fear) attempts to assume control of our world. Thor and GL must defeat the now-cosmically empowered Rainbow Raider and Sinister Dr. Spectrum before joining the war across the Nine Realms to discover what's behind it all. The Green has woven itself throughout Yggdrasil, the World Tree and Asgard, yet unconquered, is under siege by the other Worlds. Part One would be called, "The Rainbow Bridge to Ruin," while part two, in which the final battle is fought against the Red-infused Surtur and his molten realm of Muspelheim, would be entitled, "Bifrost and Fire!"

2. Set during the earliest days of their respective series, the Silver Surfer and Deadman agonize over their respective forms of imprisonment and rail against the cruelty of their masters, Galactus and the goddess, Rama Kushna. Two of comics' most mature and artistically accomplished series entwine as the Surfer assists Deadman in clearing up a small, but emotionally charged earthbound murder before asking his assistance in escaping Galactus' barrier. The barrier is designed to repel the Surfer, but not Boston Brand. If the ghost should inhabit the Surfer as he flies against it, Norrin Radd would not be himself and the barrier might not act to restrain him. In exchange, the universe is vast and wondrous; There must be someplace, somewhere where the spirits of the dead can once again find physical form and a semblance of happiness... Working together, so much would be possible. Sadly, as it must for these two, everything ends in tragedy.

3. "Demons From the Bottle"-The Superman of the 1970's asks Henry Pym's assistance in restoring Kandor. Unfortunately, Ultron and Brainiac have their own artificially intelligent reasons for seeing the community of Kryptonian survivors destroyed. Brainiac has cities filled with strange lifeforms he can press into service as his army. Ultron has formed an alliance with the bizarre, microverse-obsessed alien scientist Psyklop who can summon forth armies as well. Select members of the JLA and the Avengers team up as the battle escalates around the globe (Batman and the Vision fight alien ghost-beings in Rutland, Vermont; Captain America and Wonder Woman join forces in Washington, DC; Hawkman and Thor fight the maddened Red Raven's city of sky-people; et al), and, in the end, the Superman Emergency Squad teams up with Nightwing, Flamebird, and the Micronauts to lay the villains low. After all, it's the little things in life that make it so worthwhile. :-)

4. Doctor Strange and Madame Xanadu: A Greenwich Village love story. Why do the notoriously private Strange and Xanadu accept Funky Flashman and Dollar Bill's offer to host a daytime talk show together from a seaside resort, and how does it all lead to Clea falling in love with Aquaman, Mera in the arms of Atlantean sorcerer Alaric, Namorita making out with Aqualad, and Tula infatuated with future Sorcerer Supreme Doc Magus while Namor and Arion look askance at the entire series of affairs? Read part one: "Love Is On the Air," and then join us again for part two: "There's Something In the Water." It all falls apart in part three: "Up In Flames," and then wraps up in part four: "Epilogue: Down to Earth."

(All issues are giant-sized and so can contain multiple parts and chapter headings within the same issue.)

Robbie, thank you for the invitation. It's nice to be back, sir. :-) 

Edited by Brian Hague on 28 April 2018 at 10:06am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Great ideas, everyone.

Eric, I'd never considered a Spider-Man/Blue Beetle team-up. I can imagine an insect-pun for the title (no, spiders aren't insects, but the perception is that they are).

Wallace, I think Sinestro VS Fantastic Four would be awesome.

Brian, good choices (and thanks for contributing). Rainbow Raider? I haven't read a tale featuring him ever since he and Dr. Double X took on Batman and Flash. This was a long time ago, at least mid-80s. I did enjoy his exploits.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Aaaargh! That should have been Super-SKRULL, and I can't edit my post.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eric, back in the day when the Amalgam books were coming out, I was genuinely disappointed they didn't cross Steve Trevor with Captain America so as to create the sort of romance you suggest here. Having Sam officiate at their wedding is a stroke of genius.

Robbie, seeing Wolverine cut loose inside the offices of Lexcorp would do my withered, cynical heart an awful lot of good. 

Wallace, I love both of your FF themed ideas! With art by Alan Davis? Yes, please.

I'd give a lot to read some of the issues that have been suggested here. And the thread is only just beginning. Excellent topic, Robbie.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wallace, I love both of your FF themed ideas! With art by Alan Davis? Yes,
please.

Thanks, Brian. It was difficult deciding who should draw which tale, but I
figured AD and JB should draw the issues featuring the heroes more closely
associated with each of them, and write the other.

*crosses fingers for editing*

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 28 April 2018 at 10:26am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, Brian!

It's a shame DC and Marvel haven't collaborated for a while - wasn't JLA/AVENGERS the last one? - and I wouldn't mind seeing more. I'd never want them to overdo it.

I do feel both missed a trick in 2016. That was the 40th anniversary of the first Superman/Spider-Man team-up. One followed in 1981 (which is my favourite). It'd have been nice to commemorate that team-up by giving us a third and final one in 2016. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 28 April 2018 at 10:25am

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The JOKER and TYPHOID MARY meet in an asylum. Joker kicks
Harley to the curb for his new squeeze and they start
tearing up the town. BATMAN having trouble predicting
what the crazy duo might do next, enlists the help of two
other heroes just crazy enough help him catch them; THE
CREEPER and MOON KNIGHT.

Edited by Stephen Churay on 28 April 2018 at 11:01am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Nifty idea! Let's see what I can come up with...

WINTER: It has to start off with a big bang. Black Adam and Loki want to establish rulership over their respective pantheons, and forge an attack on Asgard, planning to follow up on an assault of the Rock of Eternity. The Phantom Stranger calls upon Thor and Captain America to join the battle already engaged in Asgard... with the Man of Steel. Superman, Captain America, and Thor have to stop the World's Darkest Mortal and the God of Mischief to save Asgard and Shazam.

SPRING: All this and World War II! The JSA and the Invaders have to battle together against the Super Axis (Master Man, Warrior Woman, U-Man, and Baron Blood), led by the Red Skull. The Skull wants to invade and control two nations in Europe to consolidate his power from which to attack... a nation is pretty good infrastructure. The Super Axis has captured Robin and Toro, which gets the attention of the two teams. This echoes through the decades...

SUMMER: It's Brave and the Bold Two-in-One as Batman and the Thing join forces against the Ultra-Humanite and the Puppet Master. The villains are working with two secret masterminds who want them to be lieutenants. Using Nightwing and the Human Torch as his tools, the Puppet Master works on the Humanite's plan that the heroes cannot possibly battle their younger compatriots. This leads to...

AUTUMN: It's time for the ultimate Wolfman and Perez team-up... the New Teen Titans and the Fantastic Four against Brother Blood and Dr. Doom. The nations of Transia and Latveria are planning to unite to begin their attack against Europe, and then the world.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wallace, I’d love to read your idea for Batman vs. Super-Skrull.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version