Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: "Unemployment" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Choosing when you exit is much better than getting forced out. I do love seeing commissions. Like most, it also keeps me/us connected in some way to what I/we see as "the real" characters. Demand is there! The biography that Nathan brought up looks like something worth dusting off.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 27 April 2018 at 12:43pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My timing is unfortunate in that now that I can afford to be more generous to myself in regards to commissions, you have entered an new phase of life. 
I shall be patiently awaiting for news if there is ever a return to commissions.

My Dad who worked his whole life from age 14 to 64 has been retired almost 8 years now and doesn't miss working at all. I was surprised because he seemed the kind of guy who liked the structure of a daily work routine, but he said he'd worked long enough. He told me to tell people who ask about what he does now to say he does the same as before he just doesn't go to work. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

How about some non-comics related traveling? I had a few years where it was just too much for me, but I just had about a month away and feel nicely recharged (a change is as good as a rest). Luckily they had Yorkshire Tea at the Safeway. Oh, and I ran into a Marvel Premiere #25 in a general junk shop for $6 and had to buy that. :^)

Even just seeing parts of Idaho, Northern California or Oregon while not spending a lot is good for me, but I have had big adventures too by train and ship. I'd love to see England and Holland some day where the two sides of my family came from (Yorkshire and Gelderland respectively). Hoo nose.

Work is often an unquestioned secular saint of some kind, I think it's not necessarily virtuous in and of itself.

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When my Father retired in the early 2000's he became "Hour Man."  He made a schedule of his days to work into doing things for an hour.  He said he could handle and hour at a time not a day.  He takes a walk at nine, then a time for reading and study, then lunch, etc. Structure was what helped him make the transition.  

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It'd be neat to see more Youtube interviews ala the recent Sci-Fi TV interview. 

But a well deserved intermission for a professional whos work has touched millions of lives in a positive way.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB, as long as you're happy, that's what matters.  You definitely deserve a respite.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When I was laid off last year, I was out of work for the first time in almost 20 years. I wasn't in a major rush to get back to work, so I used the opportunity to drop 50 pounds in the 6 months before I went back to work. I wanted to feel like something was being accomplished while I was home, and I had no more excuses to lose weight.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm 11 miles from West Bromwich, so if you ever cross this way again, a drink - because us Brits do proper drinks* - is on me! ;-)

*Seriously, though, soft drinks, alcohol and so much else cannot compare to what us Brits do. And, dear Americans, what is the appeal of root beer?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And, dear Americans, what is the appeal of
root beer?
=========
It's a perfect match for vanilla ice
cream.

I will say, that it took British comedians
to accurately describe American beer.
"It's like making love in a canoe."
"It's fucking close to water."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I drink neither beer nor root beer. As a child I was sure I was supposed to drink the latter, but I had no taste for it. The former tasted like wine that had gone off -- and I don't like wine.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB, I am bummed that we may not see any new art from you, or rarely anymore. That noted, you've earned a rest. I am appreciative for the art you have given us all these many years. Thanks ! 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Root beer floats from A&W were a treat in my younger days. Since the expulsion of pop from my diet a few years ago, looks like I won't have one anytime soon either.

JB, enjoy your time off!!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version