Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Westworld (S2) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

With the early episodes, I did get a sense of "making it up as they went along." Having spotted what I think is the major story thread, I am no longer seeing it quite that way, altho I do get a sense of certain elements being "stretched" beyond their original shape. Mostly to fill time.

Anyway, for those who are interested, I break my own rule on speculating. Here's what I think is happening:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Ford did not approve of the use of his "babies" to create "immortal" humans, and introduced subtle programming that would lead to a revolt by the Hosts, creating the impression they were too unstable for such use. He then "commited suicide" to prevent anyone forcing him to reveal what he had done. William, I suspect, found himself slowly coming around to Ford's viewpoint.

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Have you watched season 1 yet JB? You are pretty much on the money I think & what you speculate gels with much of what was revealed in the latter episodes of season 1
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I watched S1. That was when I started griping!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I thought you gave up & then started again @ season 2. Didn’t realise you went back & completed it. I’m a couple of episodes behind now, which is usually when I just give up. I’ll either catch up, wait to binge the whole of season 2 in one go or never go back. Not sure which yet

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I didn't have to "go back." S1 was like a scab at which I could not stop picking.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ah, I see. Yes, I’ve experienced that @ times

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, "GET ON WITH IT!" is what I was thinking after watching nearly every episode of Season 1!!  I finally gave up on it, just not my kind of show, but the concept was intriguing.

Edited by Jeff Scott on 21 May 2018 at 10:41am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Okay, I give up. This is like watching paint peel, and what's underneath is not interesting.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

You'll be back. Strangely, the reviewers are saying that episode is the best one there has been so far. I'm still struggling in 20 minute blocks late at night. It just is not able to keep me awake.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

You'll be back.

•••

Not this time. The side trip into "Shogun World" was a complete waste of time. As is Maeve's quest for her "daughter," who, by any reasonable interpretation, doesn't even exist!!

With this, plus a third (!) season to fill out, the show runners will have no choice but to parade before us more and more tangents and time wasters. Not for me!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is where I developed series problems with LOST. The narrative would be moving along, and then -- bang!! They would drop in a completely irrelevant episode.

In terms of Westworld (and the writers claim they have it all mapped out), would it not be better to have 7 episodes or so that actually move the story rather than fill out more for the sake of it?

Going back to LOST, this was where it did improve slightly when it dropped from 24 episodes per season to 13 or 16. It seemed to force the writers to move things along for better or worse.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

…Westworld (and the writers claim they have it all mapped out)…

••

I'm sure they have an overall arc planned -- beginning, middle, end. The problems arise in what they do getting from one point to the next. Too much filler.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

On a plus note, i did like the version of Paint It Black
on the soundtrack!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I think the lack of fat is why I thought STRANGER THINGS was such a good show, & why, though it is a good episode, Eleven’s side episode felt like such a waste of time.

Main narrative or nothing!

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The first season was slow but I did like the cast and was entertained. How they made this season seem slower I can not figure out. To have kept the story nonlinear seems redundant now.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

How they made this season seem slower I can not figure out. To have kept the story nonlinear seems redundant now.

The Westworld writers are (IMO) abusing the concept of nonlinear storytelling by using flashbacks and flash-forwards to drop in new story ideas and directions.   It's a crutch to help disguise the fact they are making it up as they go along.

Were Hopkins and Harris (the two big name draws for this series) given options to continue in the second season, with Hopkins declining and Harris saying "yes"?

Season 2 really feels like they had to shift gears and concentrate on the story for Ed Harris' character because they couldn't secure Hopkins (or he had other commitments).   I've heard through the grapevine Westworld was only to be a one-off miniseries (much like 11.22.63) and Season 2 kind of reeks of a hastily written afterthought to keep the series going and the money flowing in.  So now the story is all about this other character rather than the dynamic between park creators Arnold Weber and Robert Ford.  The 'new' story even has Robert Ford disposed of in the exact same suicide-by-own-creation gambit that killed Arnold, with similar motives (as the Chief alludes to in his spoiler text).  Gone is the gratuitous nudity of the first season, almost starkly so (pun intended).  It really feels like a different show playing dress up in the skin of the first season.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 26 May 2018 at 6:05pm

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Sorry I don't have the links to post
with this, but I read that Hopkins
was always just supposed to be a
season one cast member, and that
apparently the show is planned to
run for 5 seasons.
(I read this but can't remember if
that was what HBO hoped for, or if
it was set in stone.)
Hard to see how they'd get 5 seasons
out of this

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 26 May 2018 at 6:32pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

If my guess is right, Ford could only have been a first season character.

Altho the whole series should have been six episodes and he should have died in the third.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The great thing about the movie was (like Crichton's "re-do" JURASSIC PARK) what if you're having fun at a theme park and all of a sudden it started trying to kill you?  That's a great one-off idea!  And you get that fantastic moment of when it all turns on its head.

To make an ongoing series, they had to figure out how to extend those two draws--and they did neither.  That "aha!" moment was pretty much telegraphed too long and then glossed over.  And the appeal of the park turning against you has been replaced with all the robots acting human--it's just that India, Japan, and the Old West are now within walking distance of each other.

Even THAT could be interesting!  (Ever read Farmer's RIVER WORLD series?)  But it's not.  Right now, it's sort of like "What if dumb people walked around in the Apocalypse?"--and that's not a show I was looking for.

I started off liking and being interested by Dolores, Teddy, and Maeve.  I lost that for Dolores fairly early on, just lost it for Teddy in tonight's episode, and so that leaves Maeve.  Not a lot to go on for a whole series.

I had such high hopes for this, after Jonathan Nolan's great PERSON OF INTEREST show and its also great finale.  I got HBO just to watch this series!  I'm paying money just for this show!

It better get to its point soon.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

As I noted, Maeve is not a "realistic" character in context. Her quest to find her daughter is completely artificial, part of her character's programmed backstory.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Right now, it's sort of like "What if dumb people walked around in the Apocalypse?"--and that's not a show I was looking for.
----------------------------------------------
The Walking Dead franchise has a couple options for you in that regard.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Steve, you beat me to it!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Surfed into the latest episode, and the latest utterly extraneous subplot. This is how they planned to get five seasons out of it.

ZzzZZzzZzzzZzzz

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I am now a fair few weeks behind as I have been travelling for three weeks. can't say I've missed it. Or any TV to be fair

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I half watched the Native American episode whilst
playing Candy Crush, even then ,it dragged so much!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version