Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: TV Shows You Loved, Dismissed, Love Again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's inevitable that a lot of show we grew up with as kids don't seem quite as good, clever, funny or charming once we're older.  And so we dismiss them.  But are there any shows that you gave maybe a third or fourth look to and thought, "You know, this isn't so bad really?" I had written off "Happy Days" until I re-watched the original two seasons and remembered how good those seasons are. (Albeit, it's a different show.)

One show I re-evaluated a few years back and grew to love a second time was "The Facts of Life."  I had long before just seen it as some no longer relevant show full of 80s tropes, "very special episodes" before there even was a thing and Tootie having a breakdown over Jermaine Jackson. (Jermaine? Really?) But here was a show about young women - and before this show, was there ever one that was just about young women and things they would face, from their point of view?  I cannot think of one.  If there was, please enlighten me.  There were laughs but they also dealt with censorship, abortion, suicide, drug abuse, sexual assault, holy orders, sexploitation, prostitution and not in oblique ways but head on ... and sure, it could be didactic but when you consider the audience, was it really a bad thing?  

The show went places "Full House" never did and the frenetic shows on "Nickelodeon" and "Disney" wouldn't dare go.  And it's a shame but you may call the show corny but I liked the development of the friendships and the warmth and the laughs.

So, that's my show I came full circle with.  

Edited by Ed Aycock on 23 April 2018 at 11:40am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

When STAR TREK (TOS) was cancelled, I experienced a short period of sour grapes. The show was gone. But that didn't matter. It probably wasn't all that good in the first place!

Syndication allowed me to get my "fix" again, and restored its luster.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've tried so hard with this topic, Ed.

I can name shows I came to love after not initially enjoying them. And I can name shows I don't like much now, but liked originally.

But a show that I loved, dismissed and then loved again? I feel it's near-impossible to love a show, dismiss it and then fall in love again. If you dismiss a show that you love, then surely that's permanent? Why would you fall in love again? 

It's a good topic you have posted, though.

I'll name SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS. Great escapist fun as a kid. Saw some on VHS years later and thought, 'This isn't that good.' Revisited it again years later and realised there's a variety of stories, and it's all good fun!

Edited by Robbie Parry on 24 April 2018 at 3:49am

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Smallville.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think Robbie, for a lot of us, it's a matter of growing up.

In the case of "The Facts of Life," it was easy to dismiss it was an 80s kid's show with corny jokes and audience applauding, etc.  But when I really sat down to watch it again, I saw a lot of things that probably had never been discussed on TV before in regards to young women.  And that's important.  It's very easy to fall out of love with something you feel as though you've aged out of.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

LOST IN SPACE

As a youngster, couldn't wait to get home from school to watch it (along with TOS) on a daily basis.
Then as years went by I fell out of love with it. The local stations had the tendency to play the "in color" episodes, which meant a constant stream of the last season and a half. Not good.

After decades I took a chance and bought the whole run on DVD. Fell in love all over again with that first season and a half.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Loved SPACE: 1999 as a kid, because, y'know, science fiction and monsters and such. Had the lunchbox. 

Watched an episode later (the pilot?) and there were long stretches that were literally in slow motion. Two characters drive out to set explosives to blow up the base under the impression that they're actually enjoying a day at the beach with their loved ones. All of the moon sequence was in slo-mo, to enhance the sense of weightlessness. All of the beach sequence was in slo-mo to match the moon stuff and add a layer of trippy weirdness. The whole damned thing was going at an interminable snail's pace, with every action shown twice, once in "reality" with the astronauts driving the moon buggy over bumps. Then again, with them in swimsuits, laughing and driving their dune buggy over the sand. Stopping the moon vehicle. Stopping the dune buggy. Getting out of the moon vehicle. Getting out of the dune buggy. Going around to the back of the moon vehicle. Going around to the back of dune buggy. Unhitching the explosives from the back of the moon vehicle. Unhitching the lunch containers from the back of the dune buggy... And on and on and on and on... All in unendurable slow motion. I was hoping they'd blow up the base just to end it. It was beyond ridiculous. I made jokes about the show for years afterwards.

Prompted by a thread on the forum, I revisited an episode and I've enjoyed going back ever since. I'm not binge-watching the show, but I did put in "Another Time, Another Place" for a friend who's a David Lynch fan and I had fun adding a jazz soundtrack and finger-snapping to certain scenes to "Lynch" them up a bit for him. It's been fun looking at the show again.

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 April 2018 at 5:24pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Holy crap, Brian!
I think I was reading your episode description in slow-mo also. I almost had an anxiety attack!

You sure can get your point across, well done!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, Doug! I strongly recommend NOT seeing the episode itself! Or, if you do, fast-forwarding through those sequences to bring them up to "normal" speed.  :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 April 2018 at 6:05pm

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Star Trek TOS- Loved it as a kid and loved the movies (to a point number 5 to be exact) then decided that the original series was dumb, campy, less than modern Trek like TNG.

Flash forward many years and re-watching original Trek and loving it again very much. Watched with my daughter which was extra fun but also appreciative of the limitations that they were operating under to create the great show they did despite budget, technology, time etc.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

GOOD TIMES (the post James episodes)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Three come to mind: Bewitched, Mork & Mindy, Brady Bunch. All sitcoms I had outgrown and just no longer found amusing.  However, having stumbled upon them with my kids, their enjoyment has proven infectious.  Finding a new appreciation. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version