Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Best Hidden Gem? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not to suck up to our host, but this annual is right up there for me with the two Starlin comics I posted.  I loved the TWILIGHT ZONE feel and the focus on a supporting character that I previously didn't really care for, not to mention the story twist and the beautiful more pencil-y art.  In a FANTASTIC FOUR run full of greatness, this one holds a special place in my heart.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm going to second Doug and Roberto's selections! Those are, indeed, excellent comics. I keep meaning to get around to the Ghost Rider Eric listed.

If I may, I'll go ahead and put in a good word for a few others:

Marvel Premiere 55: A Simon Williams Wonder Man solo story. That alone makes it unusual, but it's effective as well. In this, he goes to investigate what became of components of his former business operation and finds they've fallen under criminal ownership.

Edited by Brian Hague on 17 April 2018 at 5:36pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Here's another one I think is just a perfect comic.  In just 17 pages, Howard Chaykin created something that's burned into my memory from childhood.  I sometimes see multiple copies of this in the dollar box(!) and I just want to buy a bunch and give them to every comic fan I know.  If I was teaching a class on creating comics, this would be the first lesson.  (Followed by the other three I posted, the two Annuals with Thanos/Warlock, the fun DOMINIC FORTUNE story in MARVEL PREMIERE, and the BATMAN SPECTACULAR mentioned above.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 April 2018 at 5:45pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marvel Premiere 56: Dominic Fortune by Chaykin and Austin! Good solid fun, co-starring a pre-WW II Dum-Dum Dugan!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Sub-Mariner 57: Beautifully illustrated story by Bill Everett bringing his 40's and 50's-era character Venus into modern times. They say they don't make them like they used to, but if they'd just stand aside and allow craftsmen from those bygone eras to do just that, the results might just blow us all away...

Edited by Brian Hague on 17 April 2018 at 5:44pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Action Comics 492: Superman's life is flying past him. He's finding himself at odd intervals literally years in the future without any memory of what's happened in the interim.  Why is this happening to him, and can he figure it out before everything and everyone he loves slips away from him?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Like the 1970's Bill Everett run of Sub-Mariner I mentioned above, every issue of the Nick Cuti and Joe Staton E-Man series from Charlton has much to recommend it. Issue #3 is particularly effective in conveying the humor, charm, characterization, and cool, funky art the series offered. 

Years before we were all plugged into the Matrix, billionaire Simon Boar was kidnapping innocents and hooking them up to his people-draining machines, and enforcing his will with a shadowy figure dressed all in black...

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nice to see Dominic Fortune, who had his beginnings as Atlas Comics' The Scorpion by Howard Chaykin, The book lasted 3 issues but only the first 2 were done by Chaykin, worth picking up if you haven't yet.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Atlas Comics was an interesting failure, started publishing in 1975. Atlas got too big, too fast and collapsed under it's own weight. But there were some highlights.

The Destructor was Atlas' Spider-Man created by Archie Goodwin, Steve Ditko and Wally Wood, lasted 4 issues.

The Grim Ghost created by Michael Fleisher and Ernie Colon. I think Todd McFarlane may have read this book in his younger days. Lasted 3 issues.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember back in my college days (mid-80s) really liking Scout by Tim Truman.  Pretty sure the collections are still in print at the usual suspects.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wulf the Barbarian, the first 2 issues were written and drawn by Larry Hama and inked by Klaus Janson.

Only 1 issue for Demon Hunter by Rich Buckler, Buckler brought back the character as Devil Slayer at Marvel.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have probably mentioned this issue in previous posts, but it remains one of my favorites even though, being nearly four decades in the rear view mirror, it is now well below the radar of most fans.

This was my first exposure to Conan the Barbarian and it was courtesy of the powerhouse team of Roy Thomas, John Buscema, and Ernie Chan. At the time I had only dipped my toe into Marvel Comics waters via reading a few issues of the Fantastic Four. But when I opened this issue and saw that The Watcher was narrating the story, it pulled me in immediately.

Suffice it to say, there were a lot more Conan comics in my future after savoring this one. A hidden gem indeed :-) 

Edited by James Best on 18 April 2018 at 10:40am

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version