Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Best Hidden Gem? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can’t post a pic from my phone but AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 229 is my favorite comic of all time ever. 
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Peter Martin, that Power Pack issue was my first exposure to the New Mutants so of course I sought them out afterwards- and like you, I was excited every time the demons of Limbo popped up.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I really  enjoyed Marvel Two-in-One Annual #7 with the Thing and other heroes boxing the Champion!

This one is definitely on my list. And Champion has one of my favorite names ever - Tryco Slatterus! Sounds like something out of a Rocky movie.

This is another. Might be the first (and maybe only) issue of LOSH I've ever bought. The cover alone blew me away.

And...as weird as this sounds...looking back, it might have been Wildfire that started my weird fascination with/affinity for faceless characters (in and out of the comic book world); Stingray, Cobra Commander, Jason Voorhees, Rorschach, Slender Man, etc.     

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This has been one of my favorites ever since it came out.
Champions #17
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think more people should read this hidden gem by our host. This Dark Horse reprint of it was my first exposure to it, but I don't think many folks even caught this when it came out in 1992, much less the original printing of it in the Art of John Byrne back in 1980. Now I want to go dig in my John Byrne collection long boxes and read* it again. 

*Edit: It's a silent story. I meant read in more of a figurative sense since the story is told in the art.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 18 April 2018 at 7:51pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Okay, two more!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #153 by Len Wein and Andru & Esposito was probably the first comic that made me cry (or well up at least) with the tale of a failed football player dying to save his daughter.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #13 was by Marv Wolfman joined by the X-MEN team of Byrne & Austin that was the first part of a two-parter (but the second part had different artists) and I was just blown away.  Visually, this was the Spider-Man I always wanted, and the story was just cool enough.  I think the art was even better than their usual job over on X-MEN, and Austin (I'm guessing it was more him) went crazy with all the graffiti throughout the story and other fine details.  (Even the cover by Keith Pollard and Bob McLeod was exceptional!)

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #153 by Len Wein and Andru & Esposito was probably the first comic that made me cry (or well up at least) with the tale of a failed football player dying to save his daughter.

The Bed, Bath, and Beyond in Huntington Beach, CA actually sells this piece - in addition to a few others - as wall art! If i remember correctly, it's either framed or printed on sheet metal or something. Such a strange cover to have chosen.   

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Doctor Strange # 56 "A Mystic Reborn by Roger Stern, Paul Smith and Terry Austin. 

A retelling of the origin of Dr. Strange and Strange's old enemies Demonicus, Adria, and Kaecilius attempting to attack Dr. Strange in his mansion.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This one blew me away for feeling like an effortless example of how fun these characters could be - and comics in general. O'Neil and Miller, Spidey and Doctor Strange, Dr. Doom and Dormammu! Bar Sinister! I never ran across a lot of praise for this book, but wouldn't be surprised if it was generally more famous than I realize. Still-- if you haven't read it...

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A few of my hidden gems are,

along with Eric J

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Karl, I guess I don't know what you mean by "hidden gem." For example, FF Annual 11 that you selected doesn't seem very hidden to me... the Fantastic Four and the Invaders, part 1 of a 3 part giant size trilogy (almost), by Roy Thomas and the Buscemas. It's great, and I love it now as I loved it then... but I'm not sure it's hidden.

Among the listings I see, some are pretty famous, and some are just series stories that happen to have great appeal... both of which are fine. But what do you mean by "hidden gems", please? Thanks!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ronald beat me to it, with Legion of Super-Heroes #283. Wildfire isn't my favorite Legion member, but his origin is so sad and tragic. I lost my first copy of that issue somehow, but years later tracked down and purchased another one.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version