Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Superman: The Movie Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

ITEM: Mr. Byrne, I couldn't argue with how you felt. I thought it was logical, though... Superman has all these abilities. Why wouldn't she wonder if he could read her mind? Telepathy isn't that great a leap, and while WE know that Superman isn't a telepath... Lois Lane wouldn't.

ITEM: Arguably my favorite movie scene of all time is when Clark changes to Superman in Lois' foyer. As a fan, I was stunned with its brilliance. As an actor, I am still in awe of that performance. I love it.

ITEM: And that scene at the end, when Superman looks at me and smiles. Great. Oh, I know all of you think he was smiling at you, but I know for certain. He was smiling at me.
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh, I was the same way with the "Can you read my mind ?" question. To myself I was "Don't you dare!"
And even to this day I hesitate for a split second when I hear it.

As for the villains, yes in subsequent viewings they are the weakest point, but that first viewing at the cinema I hardly noticed, the euphoria was too great.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

NBC news did a piece on Superman's 80th -- interviewing Jim Lee and showing his "iconic" cover for SUPERMAN #1000.

sigh

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Peter Pan flew with children, Lois... in a fairytale."

And SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE is a fairytale... or at the very least, a romantic superhero fable.  And in that regard, I find that the "Can You Read My Mind" sequence (along with spinning the Earth backwards) works perfectly fine.

Can't say it ever really bothered me, and it's not the same movie without it.  Maybe us guys can easily see what Clark sees in Lois... but that sequence helps us understand what Lois sees in him!

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There are things that still bug me. Krypton the ice planet? 

I have always been a big fan of this rendition of Krypton. It seemed like a truly alien planet. Its sterile, almost hostile native environment seemed to make Superman even more likely to embrace his adopted home. 

One of the biggest problems I had with SUPERMAN RETURNS was the premise. Even if he thought there was a remote chance some part of the planet remained intact, there was absolutely nothing about Donner’s Krypton that would make Superman want to go back. 

Edited by Doug Jones on 15 April 2018 at 7:24pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm okay with "Can You Read My Mind?" Lots of Seventies films took bizarre, pointless detours that had little to do with advancing the plot, sometimes to add texture or just even placate a talent's idiosyncrasies. It was the style at the time.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Doug Jones wrote:
...Even if he thought there was a remote chance some part of the planet remained intact, there was absolutely nothing about Donner’s Krypton that would make Superman want to go back. ..

Exactly!

In fact, SUPERMAN II ended with Superman promising the President that he'll never let the President down again, after the Kryptonian criminals overtook the White House during a period when Superman was forsaking his responsibilities to live as a normal human.

SUPERMAN RETURNS, which happens chronologically directly after SUPERMAN II (Bryan Singer stated the first two films by Donner and Lester were in continuity with his film, but not the other Christopher Reeve's films)and its timeline suggests that Superman left Earth shortly after his promise to the President, when Superman discovered Krypton may not have been completely destroyed. We roughly know the time frame because the child Lois conceived with Superman happened while he was powerless in SUPERMAN II, and that child is five-years-old in SUPERMAN RETURNS. Superman in RETURNS was said to have left Earth five years before the movie begins.

About the flight scene with Lois in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. As a child, I didn't like it (kids often hate anything that smacks of romance, after all), but as an adult, I actually really enjoy it. As Shaun notes above, it shows how Lois thinks of Superman. I think the scene is important in emphasizing the romance between the two characters, and adds to the emotional punch later when it appears Lois has died.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Speaking of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, one of my very favorite moments comes right before the flying scene between Superman and Lois, during the interview at her rooftop apartment. That moment when Lois embarrassingly asks Superman if he likes pink, and how Margot Kidder does that wonderful reaction as she the words leave her mouth is priceless. And the sweet way in which Christopher Reeve responds as Superman has more heart in it than any scene between those characters in film since then.

Here is a clip from the movie featuring that scene for those that want to refresh their memory:

LINK!

The particular part I refer to is at the 3:55 mark in that video clip.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

About the flight scene with Lois in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. As a child, I didn't like it (kids often hate anything that smacks of romance, after all), but as an adult, I actually really enjoy it. As Shaun notes above, it shows how Lois thinks of Superman. I think the scene is important in emphasizing the romance between the two characters, and adds to the emotional punch later when it appears Lois has died.
+++++++

This. 

A part of the film which always charms me is that Lois—hard-hitting, sassy, independent reporter—turns into a dreamy-eyed little girl around Superman. People (including me!) always praise that moment where Reeve straightens up and changes his voice for the way in which it sells the dual identity illusion. 

However, the second, unappreciated half of that equation is the effect that Superman has on Lois, which blinds her to the fact that she works in the same office with him each and every day. She treats Clark like a sweet, naive guy who’s hopelessly out of touch with her fast-paced lifestyle, and Superman with reverence and awe. It’s all a matter of her preconceptions/perception coloring how see sees “each” man and interacts with “them”. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 3:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I love Superman's flight with Lois but think it would've
been better without Margot Kidder's voiceover. Williams's
"Can You Read My Mind?" melody is beautiful on it's own.

"Peter Pan flew with children, Lois...in a fairy tale."

I've said for a few years that, for me, Superman works
best as a fairy tale in sci-fi drag.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's important to remember context. In 1978, movies were not as we know them now. Just the previous year, STAR WARS had shown that big, space opera movies could, maybe, pull big numbers at the box office. Sci-Fi was on the brink of being taken "seiously". The "fairy tale" line was the moviemakers saying "please take us seriously, too!"

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My only issue with ‘can you read my mind’ was Lois incredible strength. Her core must have been like a rock.

The poem, I have no problem with

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version