Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Team Names In Superhero Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2018 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB, do you know if Marvel rejected Canadian Shield because they thought people might think it was Canadian S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2018 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The JSA did use the name "Justice Battalion" during the war. A tougher sounding name. 
Marvel's precursor Timely had the All-Winner's Squad. Not the best name out there. Marvel definitely improved on things.  I think, Roy Thomas chose "The Invaders" because it fit well with "The Avengers" and "The Defenders" pattern, even though it's a somewhat negative term. "Liberators" might have been a better choice. On a similar tangent "The Defenders" fits Thor, Iron Man and friends better than "The Avengers". 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2018 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
I always liked Alpha Flight but to this day I still don't know what  'flight" is in this context. Is it a noun or a verb? Does it designate a group in some way or an action?

I thought of it in the same way as the Royal Air Force uses it: a flight is a military unit commanded by a squadron leader (a squadron leader is equivalent to an army major or navy lieutenant commander). 
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Don't forget the adjectives!  Marvel's names are usually short and sweet, but then they often have adjectives that give them a little majesty or intrigue.  (Though they have screwed it up in recent years; I am talking about "Ideal Marvel.")  It's not just "The Avengers," it's "The Mighty Avengers"!  And while "The X-Men" is great, I did prefer (after the Inhumans were done with it) "The Uncanny X-Men"!  And weren't they the "Dynamic Defenders" at some point?  And "The Fantastic Four" have it built in.

I'm probably equally a DC guy and a Marvel guy, so I always appreciated the differences between the two.  "The Challengers of the Unknown," "Legion of Super-Heroes," "The New Teen Titans," and (use all the words please) "The Justice League of America"!

For Marvel, it's almost as if the names were an afterthought (the Ultimate version of the Avengers could be "The Ultimates" and still work).  At DC, sometimes the name was the main thing!  "Challengers of the Unknown" and "The Doom Patrol" are cool, awesome names that give a little thrill--I think the names are why these two concepts are never allowed to fade away!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hmm...though I said I remembered the Defenders being described as "Dynamic," that was never on the cover.  I notice that the teams that never had a good adjective attached to their name got cancelled!  THE INVADERS, THE CHAMPIONS, THE DEFENDERS (eventually), THE INHUMANS ("Uncanny" didn't quite get official), and even the original X-MEN all got cancelled (before their time, I would say)--but THE UNCANNY X-MEN couldn't be stopped!

(Same thing with Marvel's solo heroes--AMAZING, INVINCIBLE, INCREDIBLE, and MIGHTY [again] for Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, and Thor, respectively, while Dr. Strange and Daredevil both got descriptions AFTER their names.  But DC didn't do that with their solo heroes, but they DID give them plenty of non-cover nicknames like "The Mighty Mite," "The Scarlet Speedster," etc.--BUT that's a discussion for another thread!)

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Even though the name was not the title, I've always thought that the First Line, from Marvel:The Lost Generation, was a great name for a team.

Used it in many fantasy leagues.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Always thought X-Factor was a terrible name. It didn't sound like a team in any way.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

To me, X-Factor sounded like a gameshow.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And to me Blockbusters sounds like a superhero team.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I like the Marvel names much better. DC's groups always sound like a bunch of super friends.

Rim shot?

Anyway, I liked the Avengers name long before I even knew what it meant. It just sounds cool!  DC's team names seem passive.
However, DC has THE best team-up book name--The Brave and the Bold! I've been trying to come up with a team-up book name that cool for decades!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

To me, the Brave and the Bold sounds like a soap opera.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I liked Alpha Flight back in the day, but Guardians,
North Guard, would have been catchy too.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version