Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios THE ETERNALS (?) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2019 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And, as we’ve seen, that fidelity got shipped to the dog food factory a long time ago. After the relatively faithful IRON MAN there has been a steady march away from the core of these characters. A march that seems now to have become a stampede.

Sadly, this is true. It also seems to me that these filmmakers are using the names of the Marvel characters to tell their own "original" story ideas for movies.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just as it is in the DC television universe, where licensed names are randomly drawn out of hat and applied whoever or whatever walks into camera range.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just as it is in the DC television universe, where licensed names are randomly drawn out of hat and applied whoever or whatever walks into camera range.

Hollywood, where being as faithful as possible to the source material is a sin.

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

hmmm.....I was bothered by Sam Jackson as Nick Fury in the beginning. I have learned to live with it and even enjoy his performances (I'm looking at you "Winter Soldier". I feel like the A list heroes have been done correctly with casting. Tinkering is being done with B and C listers.   I barely know any Eternals (other than Sersi) but honestly are they above C list for any but the most strident Marvel fan? I think the Eternals is an odd choice but I thought that about Guardians and Ant-man as well. And yes Matt Hawes, MCU leadership lies routinely to protect their stories and funnily enough I am OK with it.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian, I ask this sincerely,  what are so e examples of Marvel Studios outright lying?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

J
Hollywood, where being as faithful as possible to the source material is a sin.
_________
Black Panther seemed pretty close Imo. A little tinkering with Cap but he
seemed like Steve Rogers to me. I know there are a lot of examples of
needless deviation but they've had some positives too.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2019 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Adam Schulman wrote:
...Marvel Studios people have been known to flat-out lie on occasion....

[QUOTE=Matt Hawes]...
Are you sure you're not thinking about J.J. Abrams? His crew on his "Star Trek" films have definitely lied before about what's in their films (or not). I don't recall the same at Marvel Studios. I certainly don't recall any lies about casting in the past. What would be the point of lying about who they cast in what role?...

[QUOTE=Brian Burnham]...Yes Matt Hawes, MCU leadership lies routinely to protect their stories and funnily enough I am OK with it...

[QUOTE=Matt Hawes]...Brian, I ask this sincerely,  what are some examples of Marvel Studios outright lying?

It's been a number of days, and neither Adam nor Brian have responded to my questions about Marvel Studios outright lying about things. I pointed out that JJ Abrams and the people behind the newer STAR TREK films have notoriously lied to fans and the public, but I must have missed where this has happened with the MCU. Simply saying, "Yes, they lied" confirms nothing for me. Again, I am sincerely curious as to what Adam and Brian are referring to when they say Marvel Studios "flat out" lies.

Sure, all studios are secretive about their films before release. That is totally understandable. But being evasive or not answering to fan or media speculation is not lying. Going back to STAR TREK, fans and the media were told flatly that Khan was NOT the villian of "Into Darkness." I don't recall anything of that equivalent happening with Marvel.

Adam suspects Marvel of lying about casting because he claims they have a history of lying, and Brian says Marvel has lied to protect stories. Can anyone back any of this up, with sources? I'm not saying it's not possible, but I am saying that I have not heard anything about this sort of lying from Marvel Studios before now.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2019 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel has used false scenes in trailers like RAGNAROK, INFINITY WAR, and BLACK PANTHER to protect story elements. I have no problem with this, but visually speaking, they are definitely intentional falsehoods.

And this was a vicious, inexcusable lie:

But I don't believe Marvel was lying at Comic-Con. Kevin Feige has used the phrase "playing with expectations" in the past when speaking about casting decisions, and Salma Hayek as Ajax certainly qualifies.

I believe they cast Sersi but weren't able to secure the actor in time for ComiCon, and I figure the role will be announced at a later date---maybe even during the Marvel presentation at D23 later this month. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So, uh....can anybody tell me which character is supposed to be which without looking it up?   This looks an awful lot like the Inhumans costumes.  Everybody's been assuming that they went with Eternals to head off DC's New Gods movie.  What if its actually because Feige lost his Inhumans movie to Marvel TV and he's trying to plug them into the hole in his master plan that that left?  Also, in a fit of type-casting, Kit Harrington is playing the Black Knight in this.

Edited by Steve De Young on 24 August 2019 at 1:08pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I would guess Sersi at the right end, then that's all I got.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Plot twist: Minn-Erva and Sersi are the same person. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I recognized Sersi and (I think) Thena only because of the color of their costumes... otherwise, the rest were not only unrecognizable, but didn't even look like ETERNALS to me.

I want to like these costumes, I REALLY do, and they are not hideous or anything like that; I just haven't warmed up to them yet.

Marc

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version