Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Doctor Who Magazine #524 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2018 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Subscription copy came through the letterbox today:

I'm finding it hard to justify being a subscriber. I'll give it a few months.

Things like cosplay tips and novelisations don't interest me, whatsoever.

When the show is on the air, the magazines cover a lot of interest, but when the show is off the air, some magazines don't always appeal. Not blaming the magazine - it's very well produced - but maybe I have outgrown it.

Of course, if I cancel the subscription, you can bet that subsequent issues will be very appealing. Always happens, eh?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 April 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Of course, if I cancel the subscription, you can bet that subsequent issues will be very appealing. Always happens, eh?

Exactly the reason so many comic fans keep buying long after they lose interest.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2018 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That is true. Maybe I should bite the bullet and cancel it. The last 12-15 months, well it hasn't been for me.

And if I did that, it'd leave funds free for other things. 

DWM did a great special devoted to the 1970s last year. If I cancel, I can at least pick up issues that may be of interest.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Look at the four men on that cover.  This is cosplay that requires a lot of tips?  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2018 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

No, Steve, but I appreciate why you would say that.

The cosplay tips in this issue, which are of no use to me, are for the orange spacesuit that both Tennant and Capaldi have worn.

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I feel a little like you do Robbie.

The Cosplay section does come across as filler. I have found it odd that in their reviews section, they've never once discussed the Titan comics series of Doctor Who comics.

Have been some good articles form month to month, and I am amazed that they find enough material to fill the magazine, however, that Cosplay section is just bad.

The Special Editions have been very good though. They seem to come out every four months or so.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm remembering when I got cable, and quickly noticed that the Disney Channel and the Playboy Channel had something in common: each had very specific mandates, which meant they had to fill time with any sort of crap that fit their model.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I get the digital copy...it's a fun read, but it's hard in today's instant information
pipeline for it to have a lot of unique content issue to issue.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Scott, I hadn't considered it, but you're right, no mention of the Titan Comics series.

I cancelled, anyway. I mean, I accept when something isn't for me. Cosplay involves talent, but articles about making Time Lord collars is of no interest to me. And I have, for some reason, zero interest in Big Finish. 

What I'll do is pick up a special issue now and again (the 70s issue was very good), but I'm done.

I dropped STAR TREK MAGAZINE for a similar reason (although I was dismayed at how, like comics, they seemed to be "growing roses", e.g. no issues were released between October 2015 and April 2016). That's been filler in recent months.

I wish the publications luck, but it was long past the time to cancel my subscription for DWM. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 23 April 2018 at 6:38am

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Scott, I hadn't considered it, but you're right, no mention of the Titan Comics series.

I've always found that strange too. (Is the same as the IDW run?) 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You're right, Matthew. I'd much rather see reviews/coverage of that than cosplay tips!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, subscription cancelled. If you're no longer enjoying something, there's no point in paying for it.

I shall buy individual themed issues if I feel they may have enough of interest, but paying an annual fee for something I am not interested in seems silly.

I mean, I have zero interest in the Big Finish audio adventures (for whatever reason, they have never appealed to me) or cosplay. Yet a good proportion of reviews now are Big Finish CDs. Cosplay looks like it could be a regular feature.

All the classic stuff I am interested in has probably been covered at some point, there is truly little left to say about vintage Dalek stories, Tom Baker's tenure, etc. 

I think I will do that with other things in my life. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Big Finish is somewhat hit or miss.   

When it's good, it's actually compliments televised Doctor Who and sometimes exceeds it.   The trick is finding the diamond in the muck.

I thought DMM was a waste of money 25 years ago based on content/page count radio -- and that was when there was some actual value to the magazine during the wilderness years.   The comic strips were above average and they supported the Virgin book line by publishing exclusive prologues or codas to the novels.  

I can't imagine what sort of dreck they trot out to fill up space and justify the asking price now.   Cosplay tips?  A character's favorite recipes?  I'm surprised it wasn't one of the first narrow-genre physical magazines to get axed once online content took over, to be honest.

edit: hahaha I actually wrote the above rant before I even saw that cover (I usually scroll down to see the more recent comments first).   

Cosplay tips it is then.

And really, feature articles with the guy who made a living taking the piss out of the program (Culshaw) is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 27 April 2018 at 8:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Yes, it's filler now.

I realise something like cosplay tips are magic for those interested in cosplay. But then I think about Scott's comment pertaining to the Titan comics. I don't know why I didn't think about it before, but it's a major omission.

Part of me wonders if Panini don't want to acknowledge Titan as they are competition to their own strip. It does seem a big omission. Panini do a strip in each DWM, which are then collected into trades. Unless there is another reason for lack of acknowledgement, it seems an omission. 

STAR TREK MAGAZINE is scraping the bottom of the barrel nowadays, too. I half expect to pick up an issue and see articles on someone who brews "Romulan ale" at home or perhaps an article on Star Trek car stickers!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version