Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Doctor Who Magazine #524 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Big Finish is somewhat hit or miss.   

When it's good, it's actually compliments televised Doctor Who and sometimes exceeds it.   The trick is finding the diamond in the muck.

I thought DMM was a waste of money 25 years ago based on content/page count radio -- and that was when there was some actual value to the magazine during the wilderness years.   The comic strips were above average and they supported the Virgin book line by publishing exclusive prologues or codas to the novels.  

I can't imagine what sort of dreck they trot out to fill up space and justify the asking price now.   Cosplay tips?  A character's favorite recipes?  I'm surprised it wasn't one of the first narrow-genre physical magazines to get axed once online content took over, to be honest.

edit: hahaha I actually wrote the above rant before I even saw that cover (I usually scroll down to see the more recent comments first).   

Cosplay tips it is then.

And really, feature articles with the guy who made a living taking the piss out of the program (Culshaw) is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 27 April 2018 at 8:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, it's filler now.

I realise something like cosplay tips are magic for those interested in cosplay. But then I think about Scott's comment pertaining to the Titan comics. I don't know why I didn't think about it before, but it's a major omission.

Part of me wonders if Panini don't want to acknowledge Titan as they are competition to their own strip. It does seem a big omission. Panini do a strip in each DWM, which are then collected into trades. Unless there is another reason for lack of acknowledgement, it seems an omission. 

STAR TREK MAGAZINE is scraping the bottom of the barrel nowadays, too. I half expect to pick up an issue and see articles on someone who brews "Romulan ale" at home or perhaps an article on Star Trek car stickers!
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version