Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: Your Pro Wrestling Memories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My brother and I were talking childhood memories the other day and one of our favorite Saturday tv watches came up. Wrestling.

The angles, good guys, bad guys, physical play, what more could preteen boys want?

This was the early to mid seventies the promotion was "Big Time Wrestling", part of NWA (Detroit). Things were regional so we would see some wrestlers weekly while some others would be "borrowed" from other regions. Of course we didn't know any of this at the time, just show us some of our favorites so we can mimic them on the living room floor and we'll be fine.

Some of those wrestlers we remembered;
Dick The Bruiser
Chief Jay Strongbow
The Sheik (original), this guy was the ultimate baddie, taking foreign objects out of his trunks while we screamed at the tv.
Abdullah The Butcher, with his Genie shoes.
Mark Lewin
Bulldog Don Kent, who wore a dog collar.
My brother and I both agreed our all time favorite was Bobo Brazil with his finishing move the Coco Butt.

Great memories!
So what are your first Pro Wrestling memories ?
Who or what got you hooked?
Back to Top profile | search

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I grew up with Memphis wrestling. Jerry Lawler's feud with the Stomper got me hooked at first. Then Lawler's long quest for the NWA World Championship kept me in for a long time.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I grew up on Mid-south and World class(Texas) wrestling
Ted Dibiase
the von Eric's
the freebirds
The midnight express, Mr. Wrestling II, Jake the Snake.
Good times.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Funny how the regional thing kept all these legends from me in their early days.

Tim,I remember seeing Lawler for the first time on Letterman with that Andy Kaufman thing. But didn't see him actually wrestle until he went to the WWF.

Same with your guys Paul, not till the WWF. Man you had some great competition their in Texas.

When I was young Andre The Giant was the biggest name in wrestling, I used to see him in the wrestling mags, but didn't get to see him wrestle until he was passed his prime. Bummer.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Doug, you missed some great stuff. Lawler and Hart at their peaks were awesome to see.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I started watching Georgia Championship Wrestling on the Super Station in the early 80's. I came in on the tail end of the Masked Supertar/Mr. Wrestling II feuds and then it was Tommy Rich and Buzz Sawyer before new guys The Road Warriors came in along with the rest of Paul Ellering's Legion of Doom, Jake Roberts and The Spoiler. The hapless babyfaces were Brad Armstrong, Tim Horner, Ronnie Garvin, Sweet Brown Sugar and eventually King Kong Bundy and King Konga (The Barbarian) who tried to even the odds a bit.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2018 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As a kid, I enjoyed British wrestling (which sure looks dated now!) involving the likes of Catweazle, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. British wrestling was kicked off the air in 1988.

In 1987, I started watching US wrestling, specifically WWF. Hulk Hogan got me hooked on it.

I read about NWA/WCW in publications, and some TV regions showed it, but it wasn't until 1989 that I could watch WCW on a regular basis. A company called First Independent were the VHS licensees for WCW events in the UK.

The rest, as they say, is history...

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ricky Steamboat vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage at WrestleMania III got me hooked... then I followed the "Dragon" to NWA/WCW and watched him wrestle Ric Flair - beginning at  Chi-Town Rumble (1989) and was even more hooked!! Watching Flair make stars out of Sting & Luger plus the rise of the Steiner Brothers were also highlights as I gained more interest in the industry.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2018 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I grew up with Stampede Wrestling (based in Calgary AB).  We were treated to the evolution of Bret (Hitman) Hart, The Dynamite Kid, Archie (the Stomper) Gouldie, Dan Kroffat (the original  my favorite), and territorial visits from Abdullah the Butcher, the Sheephearders (later aka the Bushwackers), Mark Lewin, and Killer Tim Woods among others.

I did see Andre the Giant in his prime once.  Unforgettable.

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2018 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My brother and I started watching wresting in the early eighties. His favorite was Mil Máscaras and mine was George “the Animal” Steele. We were lucky enough to go to a few live matches, and I remember one time Gorilla Monsoon was supposed to be wresting ling and right before his match they announced that he would not be wrestling tonight and substituting for him was someone named Tony Animal. Mr. Animal looked like someone from the bowery. Needless to say he lost the match.

My favorite tag team was Fuji and Saito.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"I did see Andre the Giant in his prime once.  Unforgettable."

Damn Phil, I'm jealous!

Gregory, George "the Animal" Steele was a local guy so I got to see him when he was a little younger. Still had that great hair sweater though.

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I grew up on wrestling in Kansas City, home of umpteen time heavyweight champion Handsome Harley Race. We also had some local 'stars' Bulldog Bob Brown and Rufus R. Jones. One night there was a card whose man event was Ric Flair vs. Bruiser Brody. Probably the best match I ever saw. 

I also watched Georgia Championship on Saturdays, with the Freebirds Ted Dibiase when he was a good guy (if memory serves, the Freebirds nearly 'crippled' him), Wildfire Tommy Rich, and American Dream Dusty Rhodes... my god, when I watch what passes for wrestling now, I really miss those days.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

My favorite wrestling memory:

Around 30 years ago, two friends and I went to a live WWF event in
Maryland. One match of the night was to be Hulk Hogan vs. Paul "Mr.
Wonderful" Orndorff. Due to bad traffic, we were late arriving. When
we entered the arena, it was the middle of the Hogan march; he was on
his knees before Orndorff, and the packed house was cheering him
back from the brink.

I have to admit it was a bit of a rush for me to enter the Capital Centre
and hear 19,000 people cheering "Hogan! Hogan!..."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

My childhood wrestling memories go back to the early 70's and the regional WWF. My brother and I watched every Saturday afternoon. We loved Ivan Putski, Chief Jay Strongbow, Andre the Giant. I remember when Superstar Billy Graham showed up and was the first true "body builder" wrestler (that I ever saw). I still remember when Billy White Wolf "betrayed" Chief Jay Strongbow in a tag team match.

My brother and I were recently talking about those WWF days. In that conversation he mentioned that he figured out that when Ivan Putski (kind of a round wrestler) "left" the WWF for a while and came back muscular/cut that was probably the beginning of steroids in the WWF? I don't know if that's true, but it made sense.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Jonathan, we didn't get to see him much but Chief Jay Strongbow was a treat whenever he came thru. A crowd favorite with that war dance in the middle of the ring.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Strongbow did a pretty good war dance for an old Italian guy :) 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version