Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Any Series From the Past You’d Like to Recommend? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What do you enjoy looking for when you travel back in time for comics from the Thirties, Forties, Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies? 

A reprinted story from Bill Everett back in the 70's era book, "Comix: A History of Comic Books In America," put me on the trail of Sub-Mariner stories from the 1950's. The detailed art and charm of these stories is consistently rewarding whenever I come across one. 

Jack Cole's Plastic Man always packs a wallop of imaginative and illustrative energy, especially the early ones which are often weirder and darker than one might expect.

I'll also throw in a mention for Jimmy Thompson's Robotman stories from Star-Spangled and Detective Comics. Consistently well-drawn and fun to read. I must admit that I like Robotdog a great deal... 

While I'm at it, I'll recommend Nic Cuti and Joe Staton's original E-Man series as well (some issues have back-ups by JB and Steve Ditko) and Star Hawkins and his robot secretary Ilda from Strange Adventures, especially the later ones drawn by Gil Kane. 

What about you? Let's keep this old school and draw the line at 1980 or thereabouts. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 March 2018 at 8:08pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

DC’s war books & any of the old horror titles. I haven’t read nearly enough of them.  

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Bill, I've been revisiting some Weird War Tales of late and finding much to appreciate in those. Good call.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Has anyone here ever read SGT. FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS? If so, how was it? Because it's the 1960s Marvel title that no on ever talks about. 
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Joe Kubert's Enemy Ace

Jim Stalin's Warlock

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Adam, don't forget the Westerns. They don't get much in the way of historical interest either. I haven't read much Sgt. Fury myself, but what little I have read strikes me as having the same rip-roaring, roller coaster ride fun as the rest of early Marvel, with a couple of stories packing that patented emotional punch. (I'm thinking here of "Killed In Action" in issue #8, if I'm recalling correctly.) 

The clothing isn't as colorful and machine gun fire takes the place of long-range mystical zap-bolts and laser rays, but the energy of early Marvel is definitely present. 

DC and EC are still the ones I would go to for a more serious take on combat, with the proper gravity given to the events of war. Sgt. Fury is something of a romp whereas life with the combat-happy joes of Easy Co. is more of a slog. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What I heard of SGT. ROCK stories is "every story is exactly the same." I haven't read any, so I have no idea if that's true.

I'd like very much to read Mark Evanier's run on BLACKHAWK, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian: Weird War Tales is one of my favorites, though I have only a handful of issues.  I really need to seek out more. 

I’ve always preferred Rock over Fury when it comes to war books.  Fury made a great spy, but never cared for his WW2 stories. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Joe Kubert's TOR (1953-1954)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

What I heard of SGT. ROCK stories is "every story is exactly the same." I haven't read any, so I have no idea if that's true.

Not quite.  It's only "exactly the same" because it takes place during WWII.  The series ran for nearly 30 years....  400+ issues.  I'm sure there might be a bit of sameness throughout, but, otherwise, the stories are very character driven and usually very emotional.  And the art was fantastic.

Edited by Kevin Brown on 26 March 2018 at 7:16am

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Joe Kubert seems to be coming up quite a bit here. I recently picked up Volume One of Hawkman in DC Showcase, and I'm really enjoying those stories. Hard to go wrong with Kubert and Gardner Fox.

When I feel the need for a seventies nostalgia fix, I often go back to Marvel Two-in-One or Marvel Team-Up. I loved team-up books as a kid, and the Thing and Spider-Man, besides being probably my two personal favorite Marvel characters, were especially fun to see interacting with other MU luminaries. (Some great JB work in both those series, too!)

Edited by Ted Downum on 26 March 2018 at 7:33am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When we were younger, my brother collected Mike Grell's book; "Jon Sable Freelance" and I liked it. It is not a super hero book, which is why I most likely didn't pick it up, but I did enjoy reading it. Mike Grell does a pretty damned good job of drawing the book as well.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version