Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Emmys Or Oscars For Netflix Movies? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's a link:

Hmmm. A movie is a movie regardless (surely?). I could be wrong.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Spielberg is sounding sour. He needs to get with the future.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, well I'm still sour with him for complaining about footage from DUEL being used in THE INCREDIBLE HULK. ;-))

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

LOL! Well, at least I can kind of see his point, there. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Netflix is a television service. Nuff said.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If those movies that get a quick, tiny end of December release so they can qualify for the current year’s Oscars count, then I guess theatrically released Netflix movies should count too.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael, you might be correct, IF it's first released on the big screen and not on TV/streaming service.  IMO, where it shows up first is what counts in terms of awards.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Michael, you might be correct, IF it's first released on the big screen and not on TV/streaming service.  IMO, where it shows up first is what counts in terms of awards.

——

Both films being discussed got a simultaneous online/theatrical release and premiered at film festivals. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Netflix streams movies and TV shows, but it also creates original content (films and TV shows).

I feel that if Netflix has produced an original film, then that film should be worthy of Oscar contention. Does the medium really matter?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Does the medium really matter?

•••

Yes. Or should we allow a Broadway play to be nominated for an Oscar?

Back in the Sixties, when THE DOOMSDAY FLIGHT became the first official "TV movie" some of the promotional material described it as being eligible for both an Emmy and an Oscar. The Academy rebelled immediately. "No way!"

If Netflix is making movies specifically FOR theatrical realease, that's one thing. But otherwise we have (and I date myself, I know) the pilot "movie" for COLUMBO being considered Oscar material.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I suppose something that may one day be possible, if there's interest, is an awards ceremony for movies not released theatrically. 

I can envision Netflix and Amazon Prime producing more original content in the years to come. So as original content becomes more prevalent, perhaps they could create an award for such things.

Not that I'd be interested in another awards ceremony. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As Michael states above, if a film gets it's premiere in a theatre (no matter how big or small the release is) and can still qualify as an Oscar contender per the rules, then there should be no question about Netflix or Amazon allowed in the nomination process.  There have been plenty of films who have had a limited theatrical release qualifying for consideration of an Oscar that streaming companies shouldn't be left out if they follow the same rules.  Spielberg's quote is this:  "I don't believe that films that are just given token qualifications, in a couple of theaters for less than a week, should qualify for the Academy Award nominations". But many indie films do just that.  All the time.  Every year. For decades.  Often some big budget films from the studios are released with just a week left open in the window to be nominated in that year's Oscars and are only released in NYC and LA to qualify for Oscar consideration. Wide release to come after Jan. 1.  Indies and studio films get nominated with barely a week under their collective belt and I've never heard Spielberg complain about them.  

Seems more petty than anything to me. Also? Kind of elitist as if the only film worthy of consideration is one that comes from a studio with weeks if not months of box office behind it.  

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

...should we allow a Broadway play to be nominated for an Oscar?

No. 

I do plead ignorance, though, about modern movie-making -- how much of a difference is there today between the big and small screens?

Concerning awards overall, however, perhaps retaining categories is the best way to ensure that a wider array of vehicles of entertainment get a key moment in the spotlight.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Kind of elitist as if the only film worthy of consideration is one that comes from a studio with weeks if not months of box office behind it.  

--

Not to mention that the Academy, for years, has been ultra-reliant on home viewing to make content available to members (including streaming, which will eventually replace DVD screeners altogether). Without it, many voting members wouldn't see the some of the eligible films at all!

"Do as we say, but not as we do," is no longer going to fly in an era where the audience increasingly places a priority on the content they can access anywhere. A screen is a screen is a screen, and Netflix is in the business of putting content on as many screens as they can, regardless of size.

But Spielberg knows this. His response was really to the question behind the question: Are you ready for technology companies to take the lead in distribution and production? 

His answer--as I would expect from a deeply entrenched player in an industry in disruption: an unequivocal "no".

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Both films being discussed got a simultaneous online/theatrical release and premiered at film festivals. 

Then, IMO, they're not qualified to be up for an Oscar.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Is Netflix still considered a television service? This is
where the question of eligibility comes into question for
me. To me, Netflix is a multi-platform internet streaming
service.

It's no longer a clear case of one medium or another.
It's possible that a movie gets released on the big
screen, your desk top computer, your laptop computer,
your computer tablet, smart phone and television all at
the same time. Where does the line get drawn? Is it
theatrical and everything else falls under television? I
don't have a good answer. I think it's a bit more
complex, but Spielberg's answer, at this point is as good
as any.

Edited by Stephen Churay on 26 March 2018 at 10:58am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

To me, Netflix is a multi-platform internet streaming service.

Very well.  Still doesn't change the facts though.  Unless the movies hit the big screen first, they're not eligible for an Oscar.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

There have been plenty of films who have had a limited theatrical release qualifying for consideration of an Oscar that streaming companies shouldn't be left out if they follow the same rules.
------------------------
You're right, Matt, that if they follow the rules, they should be considered. I think there is a clear, recognisable difference, though, between a film that has a limited theatrical release in order to qualify for the Oscars before a later theatrical release and a film that has a limited theatrical release contemporaneous to its availability on a TV format.

As such, I think they should simply change the rules so that for a film to be considered for the Oscars, it should have an enforced grace period of solely being in theatres, say eight weeks after its release.

As far as 'a movie is a movie' argument goes, it reminds me of 1994's The Last Seduction, made and broadcast (once) by HBO, then picked up by October Films and given a theatrical run.  A lot of people agreed that Linda Fiorentino's performance was one of the best of the year and she duly picked up a BAFTA and a clutch of other critics' awards... but the Oscars had their rules and she was not allowed to be considered. The Last Seduction's screenwriter Steve Barancik said of the matter: 'I can't say that I felt the slightest bit of outrage. If the Academy has its rules, the Academy has its rules.'

Edited by Peter Martin on 26 March 2018 at 1:34pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Kevin Brown wrote:
...Unless the movies hit the big screen first, they're not eligible for an Oscar...

As Michael posted earlier...

Michael Roberts wrote:
...Both films being discussed got a simultaneous online/theatrical release and premiered at film festivals...

Spielberg is part of the Academy, and even though he disgrees, apparently enough of his fellow members of the Academy has already agreed Netflix films, fitting within a certain criteria, are eligible. Hence, those Netflix films that have already been nominated in the past.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 26 March 2018 at 1:38pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

From the article linked to in the first post for this thread (emphasis added by me): "...(Spielberg believes) Netflix movies belong at the Emmys amongst TV movies, not with feature films at the Oscars, even when said Netflix movies follow the rules required to become eligible for Oscars.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

If enough Hollywood Academy members don't like that Netflix films can be eligible when they actually follow the Academy's own rules, then those members need to change it. Until that happens, Netflix has every legitimate right to submit their films for consideration.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 26 March 2018 at 1:45pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

With the Emmys, and I don't know the semantics, I always presumed it was about TV episodes. Which something like THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX isn't. 

Is the Emmys supposed to be strictly TV episodes?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Robbie, the Emmys have been given to TV movies.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Given the Netflix films I've watched so far, I don't think they need to worry about any Oscar or Emmy nominations. The series have been quite a bit better than the films though.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Is the Emmys supposed to be strictly TV episodes?
--------------------------------------
No, which is why HBO movies end up rewarded with Emmys. Remember Pacino as Phil Spector and Michael Douglas as Liberace? The former was nominated for an Emmy and the latter won an Emmy.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Webbies.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version