Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars
Topic: Favourite Princess Leia Moment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One only, please (no ties, honourable mentions, contrivances).

It can be from any canon, whether that be the theatrical films, a Dark Horse comic, etc.

For me, it's simple: strangling Jabba the Hutt. When I saw the film, I expected a Jedi or someone like Solo would return to shoot Jabba dead. By keeping her as a slave, Jabba sealed his fate.

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Very tough choice, Robbie. So many great moments, and Carrie Fisher sold them all.

I'll go with the Princess taking control of her own rescue in Detention Block AA-23. "Into the garbage chute, flyboy!"

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holing Vader's learch.  I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board. "
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXn8-meSd8g

"Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper."

This is my favorite moment because it captures what's truly special about her. She's imprisoned, suffered torture, her home planet blown up, and likely the Rebellion's "only hope" never got her final desperate message, and all may be lost -- but she's so tough as nails that there's no hint of despair in her, and she doesn't exhibit mere bravado here... she's truly brave! Amazing!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Leia grabbing the blaster out of Luke’s hand and taking charge of her own rescue. Such a wonderful, funny subversion of the classic “rescuing the damsel” plot.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Love that, Greg -- and it's consistent throughout her interaction with Luke and Han. She's not only (merely) royalty, but she's incredibly capable, utterly competent. No idea what her full backstory might be in the original, but it must have been impressive. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There’s a really interesting story structure at work in the original film. Lucas has said that the original film is told from the point of view of the droids, since we follow them throughout as they meet each of the main characters. Meanwhile, Luke is obviously the main character, but the actual story is all Leia’s. 

Everything revolves around her goal of destroying the Death Star. She is the instigator of the entire plot. Her people steal the Death Star plans, and then she sends them with Artoo to convince Kenobi to take them to Alderaan. Luke gets sucked into the adventure with Kenobi mainly because he falls for Leia’s hologram and becomes determined to help her. 

This is one of many reasons why ROGUE ONE (along with all of DisneyWARS) fails, for me. Because it turned Leia into an unimportant courier. The character we met in STAR WARS was clearly in charge of the whole operation, and wasn’t just one of the last links in the chain of custody for the Death Star plans. Of course, Disney had to work around the passage of time, and so CGI Leia only appears onscreen for a few seconds at the end of that film, when she really should have been central to the story.

Leia’s just a wonderful character on every level. A perfect homage to—and subversion of—the classic Princess in Danger archetype. She starts out as a teenaged Imperial Senator who secretly uses that position as a cover for serving as a key Rebel leader. She’s strong, yet feminine. Sassy, yet sweet. A crack shot, a pilot, and a skilled tactician who takes crap from no one. She’s the competent one in the main SW trio of heroes, the one who perfectly understands the stakes and the situation. By comparison, Luke and Han are amateurs who sort of bumble around in her footsteps.

And she might just have the most famous hairstyle in cinema history!

Reflecting on this just reminds me of Disney’s fake narrative about STAR WARS not really having strong female characters until recently, which makes me boil. I’ll take Leia any day over what the Mouse has offered, thus far. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Imagine if Lucas & co. had had the vision/guts to make Leia directly responsible for blowing up the Death Star...!

>> Luke and Han are amateurs who sort of bumble around in her footsteps <<

Reminds me of Hope and Crosby vying for Dorothy Lamour. (And the Droids too, especially in the opening portion, it's a "Road" picture!)

I absolutely love how much Hollywood history there is in STAR WARS.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I absolutely love how much Hollywood history there is in STAR WARS.
+++++++

Yeah, it’s just steeped in film lore and history. A pastiche/homage which becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

I daresay that few movie endings are as satisfying or feel as earned as the last ten minutes of STAR WARS. Such a high note to end on, and it all comes down to our affection for the characters.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"You stuck up, no good, scruffy looking....Nerf Herder!"

Edited by Robert Kowalewski II on 27 March 2018 at 9:23pm

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yes, she had some great lines. My favorite: "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
When I saw the "Special Edition" of "Star Wars" at the theater (Hey, I was curious.), my date, who hadn't seen "Star Wars" (Yes, they're out there.) commented that she was gutsy and not the usual damsel in distress.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Warren just said the one I had in mind.

I really like ESB and Leia has some strong moments in that film, but certainly she is at her best in the original film. I love her delivery of the 'you're braver than I thought' line. Wonderful! As Greg so rightly says, a complete subversion of the damsel in distress.

Which is why I can't get behind the ROTJ scene that you mention, Robbie. It's probably the only scene in that film that's worthy of Leia, but the film sells her out. I'm Star Wars all the way, as far as our princess is concerned. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Ever since I learned about Fisher and Ford's offscreen relationship, EMPIRE has taken on some interesting (and sad) new shadings, particularly the "I love you"/"I know" exchange, which almost comes across now as art imitating life.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 29 March 2018 at 8:23pm

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

One of the many reasons that Leia is so appealing to me is that she ends up having most of the humorous lines in STAR WARS and EMPIRE. You would think that Luke and Han would get all of the one liners while the Princess stays demure and detached. Nope.

My favorite: "... Would someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Yeah, so many great laugh lines that Fisher pulled off with her charm. 

“Would it help if I got out and pushed?” Immediately comes to mind, although the most iconic Leia laugh line would surely be, “Aren’t you a little short for a Stormtrooper?”

Lucas and Kasdan obviously realized that Fisher had a wicked sense of humor, and that she could make even things like the “Nerf herder” line work.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I read somewhere that a husband and wife scriptwriting team, Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, contributed much of the humor in the first Star Wars film. While looking for a source for that, I came across this interesting interview:
https://www.themarysue.com/interview-Gloria-Katz-Star-Wars
Here and in other interviews Katz seems to downplay their contribution, but I think there's a shift in tone once they're aboard the Death Star that shows another writer's (or writers')influence. And Lucas hasn't denied their involvement and even shared some of the profits with them.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This got me thinking, far more great moments then I’d remevered:  anyway I’ll go with ones that’s been mentioned.  Leia taking charge of her own rescue/escape. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version