Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Police Kill Unarmed Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

>>>>>As the article points out, video/audio recordings have indicated that they never identified themselves as police.  Right then and there the police did the wrong thing and everything that followed from that point forward is on them. Say what you will, these cops should be charged with manslaughter.  Period. 

...Perhaps it should say 'an' article, as the events still aren't fully known. Why not wait and see how it unfolds? Due process and all that. I'd also go easy with the Manslaughter charges until all of those persnickety facts are in, but, that's just me. 
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

.Perhaps it should say 'an' article, as the events still aren't fully known. Why not wait and see how it unfolds? Due process and all that. I'd also go easy with the Manslaughter charges until all of those persnickety facts are in, but, that's just me. 

Any other people who shot an unarmed man who was in his own backyard would be under arrest right now.  

Be that as it may, watch the videos on this article:  LINK  At no time do they say they're police.  Oh, and the videos are the body cams.  

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

and here's another take....

See? That's just one of the problems... media outlets wants the 'get' but they've got to let the story unfold. It's awfully tough to say what you'd do in a pressure filled situation irrespective of the training you've undergone. things move both very fast a very slow at the same time.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

History of domestic violence? Weapons charges? Drug charges? No way those officers could have known any of this in the moment, but it would most certainly have influenced how the suspect himself reacted TO the police.

And if he really did assume a "shooting stance", as far as I can see that's end of story. Again, the police had only a fraction of a second to decide if they wanted to risk death or injury.

Something from a very different context serves as an illustration. In the movie SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF, Walter Brennan's character rides into town with his two sons, intending to break a third son out of jail. Finding the sheriff alone, one of the sons suggest they all rush him. "What could he do against three of us?"

"He could kill two of us," says Brennan.

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

From studies done at the Force Science Institute.  Naive (meaning inexperienced) shooters were given a gun and were told to drawn from several different shooting platforms (seated, prone, standing, etc.).  They were able to get off accurate rounds in .25 of a second.  Takes most officers around 1.5 seconds to draw and shoot.  Can do the math.  From what I read this individual took a shooting platform with the officer.  Lots of factors come in to play.  But when officers are being targeted and routinely executed, I wouldn't give many the benefit of the doubt. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My maternal grandfather was a policeman. A bobby, no less! And while this does not always cause me to come down on the side of the police, it definitely influences how I view any situation like this. And what I see, too many times, is that the media rush to report the version most detrimental to the police.

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I always appreciate your support.  As most people should know, the media has bias and tends to edit footage to suit their needs.  Unless somebody is privy to all the evidence available (call history, radio communications, body cam footage, distances, training records, background of the assailant, etc, etc, etc.) and is trained in analyzing these rapidly unfolding, volatile events, their comments are merely uninformed opinion.  
I analyzed these high profile events with my service.  They are extremely complicated.  Statistics show that police officers use force in under 1% of their encounters and very few are unjustified.  
The media will make you believe differently though, and some other special interest groups.  Unfortunately, irresponsible reporting has painted targets on my fellow officers who do an incredible job against sometimes insurmountable odds every day....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This is incredibly depressing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

History of domestic violence? Weapons charges? Drug charges? No way those officers could have known any of this in the moment, but it would most certainly have influenced how the suspect himself reacted TO the police.

I agree, JB.... sometimes it's easy to put the blame on how the police react in these situations with any consideration about how the suspect should've reacted. These communities need more education on dealing with police and law enforcement practices.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 April 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Again, we must remember the speed with which these weapons fire. 6 or seven rounds is about half a second.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version