Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Stephen Hawking, Dead at 76 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not saying anything about the man's theories because I understand very little about them, in all honesty.

But seeing the most intelligent man in the world having a great sense of humor and being able to laugh about himself and his situation was always very comforting for me.

Definitely one of the good ones. RIP

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I must save this tweet to share with others:

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I learned a lot from Stephen Hawking. He knew a lot and shared it well.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've seen two things from fellow Christian folk in my Facebook feed, both equally stupid:  

1) Statements to the effect that somehow an atheist dying refutes his atheism...which doesn't even make sense, or

2) Memes of him being able to walk in heaven.  Which given his personal views, also makes very little sense.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Walking in heaven makes no sense in virtually any view!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Our common picture of "Heaven" derives from a descrption of the "New Jerusalem" to be found in Revelation. Pearly gates, streets of gold, the whole bit.

The more simple minded among believers have long embraced this, giving us images of people in physical form there, with all their earthly ills cured. The blind see, the lame walk.

The whole thing sounds rather like a celestial version of Las Vegas, and altogether tacky.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Then, there's Gahan Wilson's version:

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The level of anti-intellectualism in the world is really disturbing:

Rush Limbaugh takes issue with Hawking and the Big Bang:   https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/03/14/limbaugh-quest ions-stephen-hawkings-promotion-big-bang-theory-nobody-could -see-it-how-hell-do-they/219637

Not gonna say he's as dumb as a bag of hammers (at least, not over this) because he has good questions.  Unfortunately, it speaks volumes about his level of curiosity when he lives in an age when the (very interesting) answers to those questions are well known, and he has a device to instantly give them to him literally at his fingertips. Yet somehow, he doesn't bother to do a simple google search to find out.
Compare and contrast with Foucault and Fizeau who wondered what the speed of light was, and discovered it using a lamp and some mirrors.

His assertion that he's not supposed to ask those questions? Totally false.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Religions are so frail that believers reject any questions. Likewise, they simply cannot tolerate the idea that some of those "unanswerable questions" do, in fact, have answers. That the Universe, as we find it, would be exactly as it is with or without the gods lurking behind the scenes.

Hawking was quoted as saying (tho a quick google does not find this): "God may not be dead, but he is unnecessary." "Before" the universe there was nothing, literally, and therefore no rules to prevent the universe simply happening. It's a highly unlikely prospect, but, as someone said, it only needs to have happened ONCE!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
It's a highly unlikely prospect, but, as someone said, it only needs to have happened ONCE!

Absolutely. Here we are!

Still, I am close to embracing religion. Someone online asked the "If evolution is true, how come there are still apes and monkeys?" question. They got me there! That'll make me a believer...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Still, I am close to embracing religion. Someone online asked the "If evolution is true, how come there are still apes and monkeys?" question. They got me there! That'll make me a believer...

•••

Boy, I sure do hope you're being sarcastic, Robbie!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ITEM: Robbie, I think of evolution as... well, as I hope it is. Evolution doesn't get rid of the old stuff... it just helps create the new stuff. Start with a primate that is almost ready to start standing to see farther to get a better idea of where predators are. It's like starting at one location... say, Kerrville, TX. If I go one way (west), I end up with gorillas and chimps (Disneyland.) If I go the other way (east), I end up with neanderthals, cro-magnons, and homo sapiens (DisneyWorld.) Obviously, it's FAR more complex than that... but I find it a useful model for people who ask about men, chimps, and "Why don't you marry a gorilla, Eric?" "Well, have you met my wife? Honey, give him the American Tourister treatment."

ITEM: Gee, wouldn't it be nice if someone such as Stephen Hawking were to rest in state at the Capital Rotunda? I doubt that his nationality has a lot to do with his critical contributions to humanity... But why would we put someone to rest in the Rotunda? Who could be worthy of such an honor? (/sarcasm off.)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version