Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Comics Should Not Be A Stepping Stone Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thanks, Robert, especially after a certain other person here often seems to mock and be a contrarian in all my posts.

I do read and listen to others, anyone who knows me will tell you that. In my life, I have changed my mind on two issues (I used to be pro-death penalty and was against university education being free, but someone's compelling arguments changed that for me).

I also appreciate, that as human beings, we can all forgo nuance at times. Example: I may rant about traffic cops pulling over drivers all the time for minor increases in speed (and how all traffic cops are lacking in empathy). It's a comment I may have made at a particular time, but in the heat of the moment. Truth is, I don't think that. I am sure, because people are complex, that traffic cops come in all sizes.

Exploring that further, and based on your points, I accept that what I posted were my rules. It is complex. 

I mean, I've sort of been on your side of the argument over wrestling. Some wrestlers resented other wrestlers for being bodybuilders who came in, made an impact and then disappeared to other endeavours. I've heard comments such as, "He had no passion for wrestling, he was using it to get a foot in the door of other entertainment professions or sports." So I have used your arguments in defense of wrestlers.

You've given me food for thought. I suppose one area I am coming from is the fact that the comic industry is troubled in many respects. And if I had a preference, I would want people to come in who want to be lifelong comic creators. But, yes, it is possible, and I do agree with you, about how there CAN be quality for anyone who is creating a comic book, whatever their motivations.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A really good, or even great, comic book is a thing of beauty worthy of respect. It has been considered from the start though as a sort of ghetto, a lesser sibling of the comic strip, but early artists like Sheldon Mayer, Will Eisner and Carl Barks among many others (Stan Lee, Bill Gaines) worked against and in spite of such looking down on the form. I think there have always been those who cared and put more than the minimal effort into their comics long before there were really any fans for them to know about. It kind of weeds out the tourist slummer type to have the form be not so respectable or profitable. The greatest thing about it may be that one person can actually do the entire thing, like a one man band, something impossible to do in other mediums.

Nothing is stopping anyone from making their own comics exactly as they would like if they just get some paper board and some pencils and ink, nothing ever has. Making even a low budget indpendent film though is stilll expensive and the tools costly. The more the merrier! It is a form that many things can come out of, but usually when they take a movie and make a comic from it the result isn't much worth having. Great comics are not simply storyboards for movies with word balloons.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Robert S., I understand your point of view, in that no one should take a position with the mindset of being locked into it. It is entirely reasonable that someone should take a job with the idea of, at some point, progressing past it to another position that they want.

I think the phrase "stepping stone" invokes the idea of a professional who is only using a job as a short term education on the way to another position. I think Robbie and I were saying the same thing in that, if that person is using, say, Boom Comics just to put in a six or seven month tour of duty, marching in place and producing mediocre material, while picking up tips and tricks, making network connections... well, to me it sounds as if the employers are getting rooked, and more importantly, the paying customers aren't getting the best possible material.

Of course, there are some who might think, "I'm going to IDW Comics, and I am going to blow them away with the talent I'm bringing, and learn even more about the business while they get my best."  After a couple of years, if that creator moves on - well, good luck! But the arrangement seems to have been fair.

Perhaps it's as simple a concept as that... if someone is giving their best in return for their paycheck, then it seems like a reasonable idea. If they're marking time, but getting paid for their best... then it grates on me, at least a little.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I suppose if we return to my police example, if someone's gonna give 100% to policing, and help victims to the best of their abilities, I have no issue if they might have an eye on a federal law enforcement career; but if they are treating city policing solely as a stepping stone, that's wrong.

Some manager I worked for years ago told me he didn't mind ambition and people having thoughts about promotion. But he didn't want their mind/eyes fixated on the promotion/higher grades to the detriment of their existing role. Or words to that effect.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robbie Parry: "Thanks, Robert, especially after a certain other person here often seems to mock and be a contrarian in all my posts."

That other person, whoever they may be, probably finds this assessment pathetic and might well wonder why you think you'd be worthy of such an effort. I certainly have no wish to speak on their behalf; they no doubt can certainly do so themselves, but they'd probably point out that you often speak of the time you were unfairly and quite terribly maligned on a Dr. Who forum for having (Gasp! The temerity!) "tunnel vision." A blow, no doubt. A crushing blow. And one cruelly dealt, sir. I myself would say to them in your defense that the important thing was that you were able to deal with the horror of that experience like an adult and put it behind you. Except... you haven't and do not seem capable of doing so.

April is the month a publisher would sell an April's Fools Day magazine, and I would say as much regardless of who was posting otherwise. Not everything revolves around you. Had you not once again bleated so tremulously and in such a high, keening tone, you wouldn't have crossed my mind at all today, just as you haven't for days now.

As for this thread, the example given relates to someone outside the field entirely attempting to follow a path beaten by others to the big screen. As such, very little written here about career responsibilities or work ethics has any bearing on the matter. This is a writer trying to get his work seen by those who can do him the most good. It's a shame he does not appear to love the comics industry as much or in the same way many of us do, but not everyone shares the same passions. It's fine, I suppose, to take note of the glancing insult to the comics form as this story flies past, but then we need to grow up and move on. We all know how to do that, right, everyone? 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think it is OK to have a career path/plan. Current young readers may well see that comics properties are the hot topic for Hollywood (whatever that is) and see comics as a possible way in.

They may also see that ‘mainstream’ comics are a way to self owned characters/stories which earn more.

Nothing wrong with either of those views.

It’s what they do in the middle that can be the issue. Because that drives how they treat the characters in the stories they write. Are they out to make a name for themselves through shock and awe or are they going to try to tell the best story that services that character? One services their career without any regard for what the next writer has to deal with, the other services the character’s longevity by producing a sustainable, recognisable series.

Remember, Kirkman doesn’t have to worry about what happens to his characters in The Walking Dead because no one has to worry about that comic after he is gone. You cannot bring that same thinking into writing The Fantastic Four.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
Remember, Kirkman doesn’t have to worry about what happens to his characters in The Walking Dead because no one has to worry about that comic after he is gone.

Oh right, so the title won't continue after he's gone (I don't really follow that particular universe closely)?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Doesn’t matter if it does or doesn’t Robbie - he owns it and doesn’t have to think about that question really. If he chooses to end it, he can end it. 

A writer of Spider-Man should never be thinking about whether THEY get to decide to end the comic

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ah, I see. I was unaware of that. It makes it interesting, eh?

So true about Spider-Man.

The "leave the sandbox as it was" argument is more valid than it's ever been, I feel.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As someone said about this old planet of ours, we do not inherit it from our parents, we borrow it from our children. So, too, with characters like Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, the FF, etc.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I know it may sound odd, but I was very protective of superheroes when I wrote fan fiction. That fan fiction was never going to be seen by anyone but I respected the integrity of the characters.

I wrote a (bad) Batman time travel story as a kid. It got a bit silly and quirky. And although it was seen by only me, and its destination was a trashcan, I felt like I'd not served the character.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Speaking of stepping stones....

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version