Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Favourite Darth Vader Moment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One only, please. No ties, honourable mentions, etc.

This can apply to any any canon (films, comics, etc.). Think of one Vader moment that you enjoyed, that summed up the character for you, etc.

I like the moment in TESB when Boba Fett tries to take aim at Solo's allies -and Vader lowers Fett's arm, disrupting the bounty hunter's aim. Vader is no doubt much more powerful than Fett, but it takes a brave soul, in my view, to interfere with a notorious bounty hunter's aim/shot.

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't think anything can beat "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

He definitely had some memorable lines!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, JB's got it . That's  where you find out Vader isn't just a tall villain wearing all black.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" is just a perfect moment.

Vader had some darkly funny lines and moments in later films, but this is the one that set the tone. It superbly defines the character's sense of casual menace. No need to show off. Just a hand gesture, a Force-choke, and an extremely passive-aggressive verbal threat. Like it's just another day at the office.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'll agree with it, too.

Years ago, I was part of a group that did an improv fan-fic sort of thing *, and when I technically introduced a villain I created for it (he was only heard, not seen), "I find your lack of faith disturbing" is actually the very first line he uttered. Though there was no Force-choke or killing of a lackey to go along it. 

* Hard to explain, really, but basically people taking turns writing the story, using and introducing their own characters, and using the other people's characters as well, but with certain limitations.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jeez, this is so hard. I love so many of his lines and put downs to those he looks down on, but I think I'll go with a moment I'd been waiting for for a long time when I saw The Empire Strikes Back.

Luke's entrance to the freezing chamber, after being cut off from Artoo. And then that unmistakable breathing and the lights guiding you to where Vadar stands, with his voice announcing:- "The Force is with you young Skywalker...But you are not a Jedi yet!"

You suddenly know that this is going to be the big confrontation, and are reminded that Luke is the real underdog, having not completed his training, with Vadar immediately realising that. Sent chills down my spine!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My favorite moment might be his debut.

(You'd better come to attention, Trooper!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My favorite moment might be his debut.

••

Definitely one of the great badguy entrances, followed closely by Willem DaFoe in STREETS OF FIRE.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I always thought that Vader was much more menacing in TESB that in the original film.

With that in mind, I always like hearing him utter these lines. When I first heard them spoken onscreen in a movie theater, it made me think that maybe the good guys (Luke, Han, Leia, etc.) were over-matched this time around and weren't going to win...

"The Force is with you young Skywalker... But you are not a Jedi yet."

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Interesting to note that “Apology accepted, Captain Needa.” was a joke line added in post-production, to give that scene in EMPIRE even more dark humor. 

A lot of people took issue with Vader’s “Be careful not to choke on your aspirations” pun in ROGUE ONE, but his extremely dry and dark sense of humor was there from the beginning, with “I find your lack of faith disturbing.”. EMPIRE also has a number of great dark-jokey lines from him. Like he knows he’s so scary that he doesn’t even need to verbally threaten people. He just messes with them by using deadpan sarcasm and irony. And it’s awesome. 

I’m sure that’s one of the reasons Vader is such a beloved icon of villainy. Aside from being big, scary, and dressed in black, he’s also very darkly funny, at times. He knows just how powerful and intimidating he is, and takes advantage of it to mess with people. Audiences do seem to love villains with a sense of humor.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

CAPT Piett gets promoted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2DLkDPwM8

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'm not sure it qualifies, but that scene in the satellite where there are dozens of droids closing in on Anakin, about to kill him. And then he lets off a couple of blasts that destroy the satellite, slightly the same way his son would blow up the Death Star someday.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It's depressing, Eric, that despite your description, I cannot recall that scene. Or even tell you which prequel it was in. :/

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I always thought that Vader was much more menacing in TESB that in the original film.

•••

Of course. Between films he was promoted from Tarkin's lackey to principle bad guy -- replete with suddenly shiny outfit.

Mind you, after the total botch job of the first movie, I still don't understand why he wasn't sent to the spice mines of Kessel!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

"All too easy." [then flips a switch from a cross the room with a point of a finger] 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Robbie - hardly depressing. Your mind has buried the traumatic memories...

In The Phantom Menace, little Annie* flies a ship up to one of the orbiting satellites, flies in... and then his ship breaks down. But through the magic of concussive repetition (i.e., he hits the button a few times), he restarts the ship, fires away at everything, and blows up the entire satellite ring.

*Must... resist... urge... to... kill... We were rooting for Hitler in that first episode, damn it!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

QUOTE:
Mind you, after the total botch job of the first movie, I still don't understand why he wasn't sent to the spice mines of Kessel!

In the inquiry that followed the Battle of Yavin, Vader was fully exonerated by the testimony of the sole Imperial survivor.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Of course. Between films he was promoted from Tarkin's lackey to principle bad guy -- replete with suddenly shiny outfit.
++++++++++++

Some people--including me!--have trouble deciding which version of Vader looks the best. The battered and dull look of the STAR WARS suit is iconic, but the slick, shiny, and more robotic feel of the EMPIRE suit (the tweaks being made after the character's cyborg backstory was firmly in place) is pretty darn awesome, too.

Vader made for a classic "black hat" character in the first film, but I daresay that EMPIRE presents the definitive version of the character. Absolutely terrifying, Simonized, almost casually evil and cruel (but not without a dark sense of humor), and in charge at all times. James Earl Jones' vocal performance in the film is just fantastic, and the revised vocal processing (more Transformer-ish than the "voice being filtered through the mask" processing of the first film) gives the character a disturbingly inhuman quality.

EMPIRE has more Vader moments overall than the first film, but the first film's moments are definitely memorable. He literally breaks a man's neck with one hand in his first scene!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

By the way, James Earl Jones has, over the years, rightly referred to his role in the films as "a special effect".

The original film didn't make it entirely clear whether or not we were hearing Vader's normal voice being filtered through the mask, although the fact that he could talk and breathe at the same time hinted at the voice being completely synthetic. The vocal processing in EMPIRE certainly gave that impression. After all, the backstory of Vader being horribly injured had been established during post-production of the original film, which is when the breathing sound entered the picture. EMPIRE more firmly locked down just how damaged the guy really was, and then JEDI backpeddled a bit.

Unfortunately, by the time of JEDI, we also learned that Vader could still speak naturally, and that The Voice was really just the result of microphone enhancement, a la the Wizard of OZ.

I personally prefer the idea that Vader's voice is an artificial simulation of a human voice, rather than merely an enhancement. Sort of like he's an evil version of Stephen Hawking and his synthetic speech device. Listening to Jones' performance in EMPIRE and JEDI with that in mind makes the character even more horrifying, somehow.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Can't say I've ever thought Vader's voice was some kind of purely synthesized version. Though James Earl Jones did try to keep the emotional range narrow, there's still those bits of overt emotion (VATT?? at the end of Star Wars and sister in Return of the Jedi) that aren't suggestive of a purely machine-generated voice.

I'd also say the voice was the main thing that gave you a hint of what the man inside the suit might be like (though, of course, Return of the Jedi did ruin this by having a different voice for the unmasked character).

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I always liked:
"impressive....most impressive"

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Can't say I've ever thought Vader's voice was some kind of purely synthesized version. Though James Earl Jones did try to keep the emotional range narrow, there's still those bits of overt emotion (VATT?? at the end of Star Wars and sister in Return of the Jedi) that aren't suggestive of a purely machine-generated voice.
+++++++

Mind you, I’m not suggesting that that was necessarily the filmmakers’ intent at any point. I just like the idea of it. Jones has said that the trick he and Kershner devised when working on EMPIRE was to take as much inflection out of Vader’s voice as possible. He was rather emotive in STAR WARS (the aforementioned “VATT??”, for example), but making him sound like a robot—yet knowing there’s still a living person inside that suit—made him even scarier.

I understand why they went with Sebastian Shaw in JEDI, but I still long for the truly hideous and mutilated Vader hinted at in EMPIRE (and our host sketched, a few years back). It just adds to the creepiness of the character.

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

My personal favorite comes from ESB when Luke is led to the carbon freezing chamber and all is silent...until you hear the breathing kick in and that distintive James Earl Jones voice comes from the darkness. "The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a jedi, yet."

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Something I appreciate about Darth in STAR WARS is that he loses his patience and his cool with Leia and raises his voice (or "voice") -- You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor... Take her away! I don't recall that happening in the next two movies. But I like that, even if it's one moment. Darth isn't, as Greg put it above in reference to the sequels, "in charge at all times," not even of himself. He's under pressure from above to do his job, but he's also subject to internal pressure and at any moment liable to be angrily impulsive -- Enough of this! Vader, Release him!  I think that significantly colors his character and allows us to really ponder his backstory, his friendship with and betrayal of Luke's father, his discipleship under and split with Ben, etc., in ways unique to the original. (I think the scuffed-up suit fits that Darth better too! Darth is no spit'n'polish military man -- he's a renegade Jedi.)

Edited by Michael Penn on 14 March 2018 at 4:39am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version