Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Netflix Marvel Shows: Are they too much? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After watching all the Marvel Netflix shows up through the Defenders I have decided (at least for the foreseeable time) not to continue watching any more of them.

When news first came out about the shows I was excited as it was an opportunity to introduce more Marvel characters via the Marvel Studios universe. When Daredevil season 1 came out I watched it in great anticipation and was taken aback by the amount of explicit violence. I came to realize that this was not the same genre as the movies, but I watched it. Then the other shows came out and I watched, overloaded with violence. Some of the shows I felt I had to push through because they were part of the "Marvel Studios Universe" and I felt it was a must watch to get the overall experience. The thing is, except for Daredevil, the other characters have never been of interest to me when I collected comics (heck, Jessica Jones was introduced after I quit collecting). I almost felt like I would "miss out" if I didn't watch them, but when it was announced that the Punisher would get his own show I knew it was time to walk away (at least for the Punisher) because I knew it would be a violent show with a character I never cared for.

Now that Jessica Jones season 2 is out and the other new seasons to follow for the others, I realize that I don't have to watch any of them. Does that bother me? Yes, just a little, but in the big picture I have decided to treat these shows as comic books and that I don't need to collect them to enjoy the other comic books (the MCU movies). Like the comic books, I know there are certain audiences for these type of shows and the Netflix ones are not mine.

I know (a big) part of this is because there is already way too much violence going on outside my "window" so it has become a sensory overload in having it (real violence, not comic book violence) in my entertainment.

I appreciate the opportunity to air my opinions here.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

They aren't too much, they are far too little. Action, that is. 

I'm tired of the "slow burn" philosophy, especially since it doesn't seem to ever pay off very much. They would do well to look at, for example, JB's FF "model": Main story, subplot, main story, secondary subplot, main story wrap. That's how you build a story!

I'll continue to dip in, but they have only one or two shows to catch my interest. Otherwise, I'm out (like I wish I would've done in Iron Fist and did do to Punisher).
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nope.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

They all seem to follow the same format. Long episodes, slow build and a story that drags on for at least 3 episodes more than necessary. Even the shows that I've liked are that way. 

I'm not sure I'll bother with Jessica Jones 2, or any future show within the same format.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I didn't even finish the first season of Daredevil.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Gave up on Daredevil because it was too violent. Liked Jessica Jones and will watch season 2. Haven't watched any of the rest -- have some vague intention to at some point try out Luke Cage and The Defenders, but will probably never get round to Iron Fist because the reviews were so bad. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It would be nice if they used their code names on these shows*, for once. "The Devil of Hell's Kitchen" gets tiresome by the second time around.

*The movies are not much better. Have Black Widow and Hawkeye ever actually been called by those names? I don't recall.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I made it through the first season of Daredevil. I thought it was good.

Couldn't make it through Jessica Jones. I think I made it half way before I gave up.

Watched, maybe, three episodes of Luke Cage and didn't care enough to finish.

Made it half way through the second season of Daredevil.

I haven't tried any others and don't intend to. The shows are a little too slow and dark (grim and gritty). I think the sex and language are unnecessary, and mostly gratuitous (it's a cable show, we can do this). None of the shows have been what I want to see in a super hero show.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jessica Jones season 2 has been very compelling so far (8 episodes in).

Some heroes you wanna trade places with.  

And then there's Jessica....

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I enjoyed everything up through Iron Fist, but that one should have been half the length.  The secondary characters were much more compelling than the lead (Colleen Wing, for example) and a main plot that just draaaaaaged along.  Luke Cage was great up until the last couple episodes.  The way they bungled Danny Rand's personality so much, I'm not sure if I could see a Heroes For Hire series working.

I'm surprised that one of the above posters thought that Daredevil season 1 was too violent, but enjoyed Jessica Jones.  The Purple Man was so evil in that one that I had trouble watching a lot of it.  Took me a long time to get through that series.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Personally, I like all those shows (some more than others) IN SPITE OF the violence. There are some scenes that are difficult to watch, but I guess they fit with the realistic approach.  Anyway, I could live without watching directly that aspect of reality.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I stopped watching them altogether after episode 3 of Iron Fist.  I got bored.  Zero interest in returning to them now.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

THE DEFENDERS was nice. 4 main heroes (plus the Daughters of the Dragon!) over 8 episodes clicked along much better than the 13-episode slog some of the solo shows could turn into.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

THE DEFENDERS was nice. 4 main heroes (plus the Daughters of the Dragon!) over 8 episodes clicked along much better than the 13-episode slog some of the solo shows could turn into.

----

I thought THE DEFENDERS got a little rushed at the end and could've used two more episodes. I think 10 might be a better number for all the series.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Jessica Jones is my go-to.  With a few deviations, it actually is pretty true to the comic (Alias), which was initially aimed at an adult/mature audience and was somewhat violent, etc.  The actress who portrays her is amazing.  I'm slowly going through season 2.

I found Luke Cage's solo series pretty slow so I haven't finished season 1, though his character was great in Jessica Jones and in the Defenders.  Never tried Iron Fist's solo show, and I've only watched a portion of Daredevil season 1.  Have yet to try the Punisher.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I think Netflix should have kept the seasons short, like seven to eight episodes. Maybe even shorter for Iron Fist. The Defenders should have been a two-hour movie. I agree that it's too much. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I wonder if instead of 13 episode series for these characters, what if each of them gets a full length movie (ala ‘Spectral’ or ‘Bright’) produced by Netflix?

Maybe the storytelling gets more focused.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I like Joe's idea of the Defenders being a two-hour movie and perhaps shortened season for some of the others.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Yes. Since very few watch these week-to-week and the length of the episodes vary a bit, I would think shorter seasons or movies might be a way to go. Not sure what that would do to contracts or if they're thinking they'll syndicate these out to cable stations in the future...

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I've been getting bored with the Netflix shows and find myself skipping through certain scenes. They're too slow-paced and drawn out for me. I think Netflix should take a cue from AGENTS OF SHIELD and break their seasons up into two or three mini-arcs (pods, they call them). 

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I love the Netflix shows, except for Iron Fist. My criticism is too many ninjas. :)

I love the world they've created and how the characters meet, Rosario Dawson the connective tissue and unlike many, do not feel the shows are too violent. Oftentimes they are too slow and lacking action.

I like the "real" world they're in and hope they make more. My one caveat is Punisher, which I haven't finished yet. I liked him a lot in Daredevil but don't see him as hero per se and am not sure he needs his own show. 

I'd say a little more humor though to all the shows would help pep things up.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I thought the violence level escalated from Season 1 to Season 2 of DAREDEVIL. There was some pretty brutal stuff in S1, but by S2, they're cutting off heads. And some of that carried over into the other series, including THE DEFENDERS.

I just don't subscribe to the idea of just because you CAN show a certain level of violence, that you have to show it frequently. Same with language. It can be effective, but also overdone. I like bad words and a good beheading as much as the next guy, but maybe it has more impact if it's dialed back a bit. 

That was one of my issues with LOGAN. Ok, you're stabby and you like to say the F-word. We get it. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 22 March 2018 at 10:39am

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

They're all too long and don't make good use of that length. I was still trying to watch them all, even suffering through the interminable bore that was Punisher. The dismal quality of writing in Jessica Jones Season Two stopped me cold and broke the cycle.

I'll still give future seasons a try but won't be afraid to drop them. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Are they too violent. Depends on your
sensibilities. But, if Daredevil is too
much for you, I recommend you stay away
from the Punisher. Personally, I love
Daredevil and Punisher and enjoy the
others.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Too violent because these are super-hero shows? Debatable. 

Too violent because there is a potential for diminishing returns? Yes.

I haven't watched THE PUNISHER yet, but I have a feeling I'll get bored with the repeated level of killing and maiming. 

On the other hand, I love the JOHN WICK movies, so what do I know? 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version