Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Blu-Ray Release Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

BBC is starting the process of releasing classic Who remastered on Blu-Ray with new special features a season at a time.  The project seems very similar to what was done with TNG several years back.  It seems to be a very nice presentation, and much more affordable than the TNG releases.  I'm interested.

Here's the UK pre-order listing on Amazon for the first season released, Season 12, which was Tom Baker's first.

LINK 
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hmmm, I have a Blu-ray player, but even with new features, I don't think I am ready to give my money to the BBC all over again. I'll pass. ;-)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Seems a bit odd because so much of classic Who was shot on video tape. Pertwee's Spearhead From Space was the only story to be entirely shot on film. Difficult to see what improvement in quality you'll get from blu-ray.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter Crocker of the Restoration Team has worked on the upscale to HD. Fellow RT member Steve Roberts has said these should be as close to the studio masters as it's possible to get. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've been waffling back and forth on starting to collect the DVD's.  I don't know about in the UK, but here there are availability problems with stories going in and out of print.  When you add up what a season costs on DVD, purchased a story at a time here, its also pretty prohibitive.

So, these Blu-Ray seasons, even if there isn't a massive difference in picture quality (I guess they're remixing the sound), with all the bonus features, seems like a pretty good deal to me.  If I had already shelled out a lot of money on the individual DVD's, I would probably also feel differently. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I rarely upgrade to Blu-ray.

I mean, TV shows like THE INCREDIBLE HULK and MAGNUM, P.I. are on Blu-ray now. But there aren't any extra features. And the visual quality will not be that different. So I don't bother.

You have to reach a point where you stop doing it. I bought DR. WHO on VHS back in the day (90s). And then again on DVD. Unless a Blu-ray purchase can give me a voucher to have lunch with Tom Baker in London's West End, then nothing can compel me to pay for it all over again.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The new hour long interview with Baker would be why I'd pick that up, Baker is my favorite and anything new from him Who-wise is nice to see(especially the recent BluRay release of Shada).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Pre-ordered it from Amazon UK, it has the Doctor Who Tom Baker files that was on VHS on it as well. It'll clear up a good amount of space on my Doctor Who shelf...

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mine arrived Saturday. I only had Robot, so it was not really much of a double dip. Robot is the only one I've watched so far. Picture looked great to me (compared to the VHS), but I am not an expert on such things..

I started watching one of the new extras, Who on the Sofa or something like that. It is former cast members watching the show and commenting on the episode. It was okay, but I was tired and fell asleep during it.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Season 12? Grrr! It's not 'season' it's SERIES!

It's bad enough that BBC newsreaders have started saying "off of' and beginning every sentence with the word "so" (and don't even get me started on the ones I've heard pronouncing nuclear as nuke-u-lah!!!). What next, dropping the letter 'U' from colour and spelling the word like savages? Well, I say no sir, no! It's time to step up to the wicket...we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall...

Ooooh, sorry, I think I just had one of my funny turns. Nurse?

(But it should be series 12.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Calm down, Andrew. Have a sandwich. Tomatoes? Lettuce? Cucumber? I'll make it for you, my friend, and mail it to you. :)

I'm with you on the letter 'U' thing, mate.

Season does appear to have become the word to use nowadays, but, hey, I am not saying you are wrong. 

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When I joined the DWAS in 1982, season was used pretty much exclusively in fan circles. Doctor Who Monthly was also using it at that time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It's okay, fellas. No use trying to turn back the tide. I don't mind the 21st century version going by seasons but the classic...it just sticks in my craw (unlike this excellent cucumber sandwich, cheers Robbie).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Would that be a tomato or a tormado? Also, don`t get me
started on `Aluminum`, why no Plutonum, Strontum, Iridum
etc?

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Also, don`t get me started on `Aluminum`

It's a Saxon family tradition to yell "ALUMINIUM!" at the TV screen when an American pronounces the word as 'aluminum'. This has only ever caused us embarrassment the one time when my seven year old son yelled it at the cinema screen ... but he did get a laugh.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Nice one, Andrew!

Mike Devlin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I`m so thrilled with this set! 
The BBC set the standard for TV on DVD, now they do so again for TV on Blu-ray.

Always hoped to get classic Who as season sets - but thought that ship had sailed long ago.
And now it`s here - and with all these great looking episodes and lots of fantastic HD
extras to boot!

Just when I thought Shada would be the one and only 4th Doctor story in my collection
on blu-ray....

First thing I did, upon receiving the US set on Monday, as a pressie from my brother ,
was chuck in Disc 3 to check out "The Tom Baker Years" - I still can`t believe I now
have this wonderful special on disc! Worth the price of admission for me 
I have a lovely memory of my Uncle buying me a copy of the VHS version in Adelaide,
in 1995, while we were there for the last Formula One race in the city. I treasure the tape
but having it now on blu-ray is delightful!

While on Disc 3 I started to watch "Behind the Sofa" while I was distracted preparing for
my Factor 8 injection, but at some point I realised the participants were only talking about
the one story! (Sontaran Experiment) So I then realised, to my delight, that there was a
"Behind The Sofa" for every story! Fab, If this keeps up in future sets, I`ll be one happy
Whovian.

Also a HUGE thanks to whomever decided to include the photo
galleries in upgraded HD quality - the photos look wonderfully sharp. What a brilliant decision!
Hope they keep it up on future sets.

Of course the episodes look better than ever before, the HD documentaries are a welcome
addition - both newly created docos and old docos which were created in HD , back in the day, but were originally released on DVD in SD (naturally) but now are upgraded to HD. :)  Also I`m delighted by the menus - which are easy to navigate and 
have the lovely Console Room animation.
Tom`s console of course - which is great coz it`s the "right" one for the era and suggests that each Doctor will get his own console room menu background :) Mmmmm
Also no clips for the show in the menus ...unlike the DVDs.

Oh when I pop in each disc, after the BBC logo comes up, there is
an animated Series 11-style Doctor Who logo - with the Tardis flying across the screen and 
drawing the horizontal parts of the logo.
We`ll see if this animation is used in the opening credits of Series 11.

Cheers!
Roll on more Blu Who 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Aluminum is not an American pronunciation of Aluminium, it is a different word for the same thing, stemming from the original element being named aluminum by Sir Humphrey Davy. Shortly after Davy named the metal, ium was suggested (somewhat arbitrarily) as an alternative suffix (aluminium is derived from alumina, the common/old name for aluminium oxide). I say arbitrarily, as no one insisted on the same change for platinum, molybdenum, tantalum or lanthanum.

Both aluminium and aluminum are accepted usages. Though aluminium is used far more widely outside of North America, aluminum actually came first. So if you insist aluminum is wrong, you are saying the man who named it, one of the great English chemists, was wrong.

Caveat: I say aluminium and admit that aluminum jars on my ear a little!

Edited by Peter Martin on 01 July 2018 at 8:34am

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Mike, they did release one season as a set, The Key to Time(which actually worked as it is one story).  Maybe we'll eventually get that in a Blu Ray Release...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I got this, not having shelled out the money for the DVDs, it was just too prohibitive cost-wise for me.  $50 a series is about right for what I'm willing to pay.  I don't have the DVDs to compare it to, but the quality of the shows in terms of picture and sound was a marked improvement over the streaming versions I've seen in the past.  Lots and lots of bonus features.  I hope this becomes a regular thing.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I have to wait for it to ship here, but there will be a binging of the extras when it arrives...

Mike Devlin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Robert Kowalewski II wrote:
Mike, they did release one season as a set, The Key to Time(which actually worked as it is one story).  Maybe we'll eventually get that in a Blu Ray Release...

Hi Robert,
Oh yes I have that one - I love it as the US release was cool as it was , with nice extras like commentaries. But the UK release was even better - with the extra commentaries (so now there`s a Tom comm on every story) and new docos ! Including one on The Pirate Planet - which I REALLY enjoyed, as a huge Douglas Adams fan :)

And there`s one more DVD season box set - Season 23
"The Trial of a Time Lord" - which again has fantastic extras such as the excellent documentary "Trials and Tribulations"  on the dramas behind the scenes of the season.

(Gosh, is that DVD set TEN years old already?! Sheesh. Seems like I bought it last month...)
(Well OK ten years in September, to be pedantic, which I like to be lol)

Edited by Mike Devlin on 02 July 2018 at 1:44am

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Watched the new interview with Tom, along with watching the Tom Baker Years on Disc 3 so far.  Nice to see they put the hour and a half rebroadcast of Genesis of the Daleks in there as well.  I will eventually have to watch all the Behind the Sofa on the discs as well. It's a pretty full package, it'd be nice to see future season/series sets like this in the future.

Edited by Robert Kowalewski II on 08 July 2018 at 5:11pm

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I blame the new Blu Ray release for my rewatching my Baker run from the beginning, I'm currently up to The Robots of Death(Leela's second aired story).  It's been fun so far, when I get to The Key to Time season I'll probably skip The Power of Kroll as I usually do... ;-)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Regarding Leela/Louise Jameson, i loved her character
and appearance, but was surpised to see that in real
life she has blue eyes, i wonder why she wore brown
contacts?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version