Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Neal Adams - then and now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hi, all - just a curiosity. Like most people, I am a huge Neal Adams fan. As a kid, I grew up worshipping his work, especially GL/GA, Batman, Strange Adventures, X-Men and all those wonderful DC covers of the 1960s. (I'd add those great Tarzan book covers too, which came a bit later)

When Neal left to form Continuity, something changed. Obviously, he wasn't drawing the comic characters we all know and love, but also the art itself seemed less impressive. I guess some of this had to do with changing styles, also other artists "helping" with the art.

I don't follow comics anymore, except this forum and of course the films and TV shows (all the reasons we all talk about, not the same anymore, etc.). I know Neal has been doing comics here and there and I have not read them, just checking artwork posted online and reviews. His writing, it seems, is always the reason for the mixed or poor reviews.

My point is what do you think of Neal? It seems his greatest period was 60s and early 70s, and after that more experimentation, making money, etc. Not dissing him - he's an old guy and certainly did his part, but I wonder what the general feeling is about Neal's entire career and perhaps his career since say 1980 (Ms. Mystic era).

When I look at his work now, it's not what it was. Often his sketches you see at conventions, etc. are similar poses, "pre-penciled", somewhat lazy ink work, etc. Anyone else have opinions on this? If it has been discussed before, apologies, but as someone who loved Neal's old DC and Marvel work, thought I'd throw it out there.

As an aside - JB's work has only improved since his "glory years". I love the old stuff and wish he were doing regular work for Marvel and DC, but understand why he doesn't. The artistry however is as good or better now than ever. I don't see any laziness or decline of quality.

Thanks.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My greatest preference is for Neal's "middle period", post DEADMAN, pre Continuity.

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Good period for sure. His early output was pretty amazing too, like yourself, JB. Not as many books, but books plus half the covers on those old DC books - all interesting.

It also seems something happened in the inventiveness of his poses. I often see YouTube videos where he has the "pre penciled" pictures in similar poses, but the early books really stood out not just for the realism but the crazy poses and action he'd portray.

He definitely is not a writer like yourself, as the more control he took on, the less impressive the work. Still an amazing career all in all. I think his stuff in the last 25 or more years interestingly looks more like his imitators, such as Mike Nasser, than Neal himself.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If I merely Google "Neal Adams 1972," I find such images that give me vertigo through sheer greatness.

The years around then are my favorite, for sure.

But even if his recent work isn't my preference and can't ever resonate for me the way his vintage work always will, some of what I've seen online from just a year or two ago is pretty freakin' sweet.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm not really familiar with much of his work after BATMAN and GREEN ARROW/GREEN LANTERN.

I'm glad he did some pencilling work on SUPERMAN VS THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree with most that his Batman, Green
Lantern/Arrow period is his best. I do
still love his work but it is much looser.
But, I am one who loves watching an artist
grow and/or change.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I would not call his current work "loose"!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Aside from the short X-Men and Avengers runs, I liked that Doomsday +1 back cover on Charlton Bullseye and two issues of Ms. Mystic (and short preview in Captain Victory) circa the early '80s. He seemed to do just covers a lot, but who wouldn't want one. I also bought a Groundhogs LP with his art on it and found I really liked the group. Anybody remember his Jimmy Carter coloring book?

I did buy some Echo issues, that thick various artists comic, and a Bucky O'Hare thing, but other than noticing they got on drugstore spinner racks that's all I know about Continuity publications. It was at the tail end of my buying any comics for awhile.

I've heard some stories about Mr. Adams that I'm not sure what to make of. Alex Toth had stories about him too though I suppose. Not sure if they were just related to fighting for creators rights which he did a lot for. Stuff about him being a fascist/nazi/prejudiced... like I say, may be more about the person telling the story than him?

Didn't Neal Adams start in newspaper strips? Did he have much contact with Stan Drake and Leonard Starr? So much I don't know about that arena. I did enjoy the Kelly Green books by Drake & Starr a lot and of course when they started I thought it looked like Neal Adams! :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 01 March 2018 at 3:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I read his Superman miniseries from a couple years ago. I thought his art was wonderful. I think he would benefit from having a writing partner, though. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm just finishing the Showcase Presents GL volume with his run.
Wow! Every turned page is like opening up another Birthday gift.
Beautiful in B&W!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Neal took comic book art to an entirely new level and it sucked me back into reading comics when I'd grown weary of them as a teen.  I still think his new stuff is fun, though his heyday was those DC covers and especially his Batman and GL/GA work.  His versions of some Marvel and particularly DC characters are definitive for me and I've never not found something worthwhile on any job he's ever completed.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have been the biggest fan of Neal Adams since I was a child and it's been somewhat surreal that, over the last few years, I have attended many cons that he had his big table at and we have met and had such pleasant interactions that he now knows my face and seems happy to see me each time.  About five years ago, I worked up the courage to show him my portfolio and (after a moment of dread) he showed such relief when he opened it and saw that I was not awful!  (He did not destroy me--yay!)  In the middle of a busy con, he spent twenty minutes of his valuable time (he's always sketching a reserved commission) showing me how to draw a hat properly!  (And a few other things.)  He spotted the weakest thing in those particular pages and decided to help me through it.  I can tell you personally that he's a very nice and friendly guy.

Though it's clear that he just loves drawing (every moment, he's either drawing or looking at something thinking about drawing it), he's a total professional and he's all about the work.  But he is there to make money and he does comics to make money.  He's proud of treating it like a job.  I think this has led him to work faster.  The last few years, he has written, penciled, and inked 13 issues of BATMAN ODYSSEY, 6 issues of THE COMING OF THE SUPERMEN, and presently 6 issues of DEADMAN, as well as illustrating an X-MEN mini-series and numerous short stories and covers--all on time!  (Not to mention all the commissions!)  All looking better than most everybody else out there!  And he's 76!

I too preferred the "dynamic realism" of his 60's and 70's work, right up to MS. MYSTIC and the other first issues of his Continuity Comics--it was amazing how much he did there!  He wasn't being helped by numerous artists, he was the one HELPING all his artists!  He did covers, layouts, and/or finishes on a whole line of comics!  It does seem that he has incorporated some things I have to call "Image-isms"--instead of realistic shadows, he's just as likely to do "under-lighting" now.  He's gotten more cartoonish (compare his present-day bulbous monster Hulk to his more human Hulk on some covers/pin-ups of the 70's), but I'm confident he's CHOOSING to be quicker and emphasizing the "dynamic" in "dynamic realism" now, rather than the "realism" part.

Remember, there were stories of him working slowly in the early days, spending days to get one page just right.  Now, he can probably do two pages a day with no problem.  No, the present-day Neal Adams is not as good as "his old stuff," but I'd rather have the almost three dozen issues he produced in the last 4 or 5 years than not have them.  Still better than most.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 01 March 2018 at 7:25pm

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version