Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: "Roseanne" - the original show Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yes, it's coming back (mentioned in another thread.)  Yes, Roseanne's comments and behavior have always made her seem a few credits shy of graduation but I loved the show when it was on (well, maybe loved the first five seasons and liked the next three and loathed the final...) 

At the time, if you remember, the show was often controversial for episodes like the one where "Roseanne" fantasized about "murdering" her kids so she could take a bath. (It was a nothing moment, even then) or the fresh kids or the PMS episode or the pot episode or DJ masturbating or...well whatever.  Even my 78-year-old mother who, at the time, didn't like it watches it now on TV Land and loves it.

I thought it was funny then and find it funny now.  I appreciate it even more now as an adult that it really did face a family's financial woes and how hard it can be to get by in America. 

Once the controversy all died down, we have a good show. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I liked it, it was edgy, and they were not afraid to
show people reading comics!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, there were comics all over their coffee table at one point.  This was during the speculator boom when David and Darlene were writing their own.  And Dan got called into school because DJ took it in with him and it was "disturbing."  Dan lamented the old days of underground comix when they were about sex and pot. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Worst series finale EVER. (Hell, worst final season!)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I really enjoyed the first few seasons but started losing interest when all the boyfriends/ husbands were moving in. I never saw the final season. 
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You're better off, Brian Miller.  It was ghastly.  The show was already showing signs of weakening in Season 8 even though it had some strength left; the season finale argument between Dan and Roseanne was as powerful and intense as anything they'd ever done.  But they blew it by deciding to have another season.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm also guessing the last season - or at least the season finale - will be ignored in the new series, unless they pull a Bobby Ewing on Dallas, and say `it was all a dream'.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They are going to ignore the last season entirely.  It looks as though they may ignore a few other things (like Jerry Garcia) as press releases mention Jackie being "childless" even though she had a baby in Season 6, which would be a curious omission, even though the whole Fred and Jackie story was about as interesting as watching coal turn into diamonds.  And Darlene's daughter is said to be a teenager where she would actually be 21 today. Yeah, I was a big fan.

The thing that worries me the most is Jonny Galecki saying the David we see now will be nothing like the David we knew then.  I don't think he means video games, comics and glasses either.

Edited by Ed Aycock on 27 February 2018 at 12:32pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 2:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The last season should be ignored. It was crap, and the finale was horrible. I can't think of a series finale I hated nearly as much. 

I hope the heart attack Dan suffered is the explanation for the character's weight loss. (It was a wake-up call and he changed his lifestyle.)

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I loved this show for most of its existence and I really don't think that bringing it back at this late date is a good idea at all.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Didn't Dan die from the heart attack?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Didn't Dan die from the heart attack?

+++++++++++++++++++++
At the end of the next to last season, they had a cliffhanger where he was being put into an ambulance. At the end of the last season, Roseanne revealed that the entire season had been what she had written in the basement office that Dan made for her earlier in the series, as a way of coping with his death. Which is why the entire last season is trash, and the finale is even worse.

If the last season is ignored, there's no reason he couldn't be alive. Heart attacks aren't always fatal.

I tell anyone who hasn't watched ROSEANNE to avoid the last season entirely if they do watch, for good reason.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Brian F. - not only have I taken your good counsel regarding the final season, but I've applied the same to all the prior seasons, to be sure I don't experience any waste of time.

Nope, I'm not much of a Roseanne Barr fan... and that one time she sang the National Anthem at a baseball game, I would have risked jail and fines to get on the field and get the microphone out of her hands.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Funny thing is, I'm not a fan of anything she's done since ROSEANNE.

And I agree about her doing the National Anthem. It was a travesty she should still be ashamed of to this day.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Dan survived the heart attack on the show; it happened 3 episodes before the end of the season.

The eighth season was supposed to be the final season hence why Lecy Goranson came back as Becky.  But they decided to push it and ruin the show with that final season and kill Dan off in those final 15 minutes via a voiceover. 

I don't necessarily think it HAD to come back but it is, the original cast is there, it has a good writing staff and Sara Gilbert is one of the producers, NOT Roseanne.   So, I'd be really interested.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Eric Sofer, I have to ask because such things always make me curious: If you dislike Rosanne Barr so much, not just her TV series, but her as a person, why would you open this thread?

I am not getting on you for your opinion, I just wonder why people are compelled to read about things they hate and why the need to state that they hate it. I am not a sports fan, so I don't go to the sports area of the forum. I'm fascinated as to why some people do this sort of thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Matt, I open 'most every thread. I never know what the discussions will produce. I have the Insatiable Elephant's Child Curiosity. And who knows but that someone's opinion might affect mine. I'm not quite that close minded... someone else's perspective might be enlightening.

And "hate" is a strong word. I hate what she did with the National Anthem. I just disliked her show... and I never watched it to indulge my dislike.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Thanks for the response, Eric.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote:
If the last season is ignored, there's no reason he couldn't be alive. Heart attacks aren't always fatal.

You don't even have to get that specific.  In the last episode of WILL AND GRACE, a series I never followed, we discover that the two leads haven't spoken with each other in years.  Although it appeared that there could never be a new series that picks up with the characters essentially where they left off, that's exactly what they did.  Ignored everything and moved on.  No need to explain anything.  That's essentially what ROSANNE is doing: pretending the last season never existed and Dan never died.

Done.  Case closed.

That's fine with me.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
If you dislike Rosanne Barr so much, not just her TV series, but her as a person, why would you open this thread?

You and I have been on the forum a long time and we've had this very same exchange with a number of people.  I'm with you: I don't understand people commenting on something they so obviously disliked.  There are threads too numerous to count where I could put in my two cents about why I dislike the thing that started the thread, but I choose not to do it because...well...it adds nothing to the conversation.  Pretty much why I avoid the Music board altogether!  And Dr. Who!  Not that I'm looking for an echo chamber, but when someone says "I've never liked Rosanne, couldn't stand her show and hated her singing the National Anthem" it adds exactly zero to the conversation. So...why feel the need to post that?  Dunno. 

Good on ya.  You dislike her and her work.  OK.  Moving on.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Reed doesnít like music that isnít Springsteen. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I agree with both of you, tho. Thereís plenty of threads I donít go into, for the sheer fact I have no interest or donít like the subject. Lifeís too short to be trying to convince people what they like is shit. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
Pretty much why I avoid the Music board altogether!

Are you John Lithgow in Footloose?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

(Just nobody start a 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY thread when Matt Reed is around!)

:)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version