Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Question For All: Inking Kirby-Sinnott or Royer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Am I missing something with the Gallery?"

From the main page Galleries button. You don't see "NOTICE: This domain name expired on 2/16/2018 and is pending renewal or deletion." at the top, and links that are just general "sponsored listings" hosted by GoDaddy?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2018 at 6:30pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nope.
Just says "We've Moved", with a comic book cover with Rog. Then the link under.
For now anyway, Don't jinx me :-)

http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/gallery
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think it's just hard to beat Sinnott, whom Wally Wood reportedly considered to be Kirby's best inker, but if you can't have Sinnott, Royer is a very agreeable second choice.  There are three inkers who imposed their own styles on Kirby's pencils that I liked very much for the books they did--Bill Everett on Thor, Wallace Wood on Challengers/Skymasters, and John Severin on Nick Fury, Agent of Shield.  Severin/Kirby was an odd, but excellent combination, and I think Nick Fury was an ideal series for it--Severin on a superhero or sf book would have been less successful, I think.

I never cared for Chic Stone, whom I found heavy handed.  Giacoia was a good inker for Kirby, rarely mentioned, but did some nice work on Captain America, and briefly, on Thor.  I liked Colletta on Thor at the outset, but it was hard to like him when I had a chance to compare his work to stats of Kirby's pencils--figures erased or blacked in, backgrounds omitted.  Eccentrically, there are two Kirby inkers I enjoyed that don't command wide favor--Paul Reinman, who did nice work, I thought, on some of the early Tales of Asgard, and George Bell (Roussos), whose work I liked on the Fantastic Four, although obviously no one was in Sinnott's class.  (I admit, however, to loathing Roussos' work on Steve Ditko, be it the Hulk or Dr. Strange).  I liked Ayers, too.  The mystery of Ayers for me was that he had a very confident, bold brush line inking Kirby in the early days, and in fact, on his own early work in the fifties, but by the time he started inking his own work on Sgt. Fury, the bold brush work was completely absent, replaced by timorous and undistinguished pen work.  Never quite understood what happened

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We rarely think of Ditko in terms of being a Kirby inker, (I forgot about him entirely in the above post), but he did nice stuff too, and reportedly Stan Lee particularly liked his work on Kirby.  Don Heck did some nice work as well, though he didn't do much inking of Kirby compared to others in the Marvel bullpen.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I happen to own three pages inked by Ditko, proudly displayed in my Kirby Korner. Beautiful work!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Of the first 20 issues of FF, Sinnott's #5 is my favorite, with Ditko's #13 a very close second. It would have been interesting to see how the Thing would look today if Ditko's embellishments "stuck".

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow!  I forgot all about Ditko's inks over Kirby.  Definitely one of my favorites.  I think out of all the great pages in the Kirby FF AE (the big one) my favorites were the Ditko-inked ones.  They were something else! 

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sinnott for me. 

I liked Colletta's inks for the Tales of Asgard stories, where they gave the pencils an appropriate fairy tale vibe, to contrast with the more down-to-earth look of Stone's pencils on the modern-day stories. Once Colletta took over the whole book ... well, I just missed Stone a lot.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wood is my favorite and then Ditko and Sinnott.   

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sinnott.  Then Wood.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just going off the first impressions I had as a kid--reading reprints of FF & THOR and things like SANDMAN and ATLAS (and other shorts at that time) at DC, then Kirby's solo run on CAPTAIN AMERICA back at Marvel--I probably liked them in this order:

Colletta on THOR
Sinnott on FANTASTIC FOUR/Royer on ATLAS & CAPTAIN AMERICA (tie)
Ditko on random reprints
Other people (don't recall ever seeing Wood on Kirby)

Sorry to the anti-Colletta contingent out there, but those THORs (especially in the big Treasury Edition) had a lasting impact on me.  That slightly more feathery/scratchy/pencily look was very effective for the legendary aspect.  JB inked by Tony DeZuniga on that one MARVEL TEAM-UP with Thor has the same effect.

Looking back, the adult me can really appreciate everything Sinnott added to his pages though.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 February 2018 at 12:21am

Yvan Jullien
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's difficult to compare Sinnott and Royer because they inked Kirby at different times and Jack Kirby's style evolved between 1966 and the mid seventies. Has Royer ever inked a xeroxed FF or Thor page from the King ?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version