Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Marvel’s "Fresh Start"... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's locked now, Rebecca, but perhaps you may wish to read my topic about the Champions:

Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was reflecting the other day on what Marvel need to do to bring readers back or crucially to attract readers. Now, I'm resigned to the fact that they will not return to the Marvel Comics of my youth in the 80s; however, it is clear that movies are here to stay. As such, why don't they simply tie the comics in with the movie versions of the characters (and I am looking at you, Doctor Strange, with your pouches and your beard) in the way that, say, Star Wars comics featured stories of the characters from those films. 

Now, I know this won't be popular with everyone but at least we'd have some consistency and suddenly my kids - and other kids - would recognise the characters and might actually want to buy and read some of the comics. And, if you could actually buy them on the newsstand (but now I'm just getting carried away) ..

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Good point, Mr Wilkie.

It does seem a bit bizarre that a "civilian" could watch a Thor film, decide to check out the comic - and instead see Jane Foster's Thor. No disrespect to Foster's Thor, but if they can't get a Thor akin to Chris Hemsworth's Thor, then they won't necessarily become readers of the monthly books.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for that link Robbie. I thought the main point of The Champions was to have some characters and stories situated on the west coast, later Spider-Woman and West Coast Avengers filled the role.

I did read The Defenders, and I thought it worked better the less there was of Sub-Mariner, Dr. Strange and The Hulk. Those guys just don't seem function as super-heroes as much or as team people any better than Ghost Rider. I don't think Werewolf By Night or Man-Wolf were ever part of a team for example (or Dracula, Man-Thing). Yet The Thing, She-Hulk and Tigra all do work well in teams.

---

Given how many people might only have movies or tv as their base, the smart money would be in having comics be accessible and inviting to them.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rebecca, that was the point in my initial post.
Right now, Black Panther is written by a well-known African-American non-comics writer... the look and storylines are not out of line from the movie... millions of people see the movie... but the book sells 23,000 copies to distributors... which means maybe 18,000 readers.

There is no correlation between movie success and comic sales. A viewer leaves a Marvel movie and says, "Hey for $15 bucks, I liked that movie.... I will see the next one in 6 months"

NOT- "Hey for $15 bucks, I liked that movie... I am going to start a $30/month hobby!" 

In a sense, enjoying an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie seems to motivate the consumer to see the next movie, not become a bodybuilder....
^Sorry, couldn't resist... my favorite analogy.

Edited by Daniel Burke on 22 February 2018 at 6:22pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Odd that there is little correlation. :^( It sure doesn't work that way with soundtrack CDs/LPs. It was the Supergirl tv show that lead me to dig up some of the past revival series for her which I'd missed. Maybe they could regularly advertise the comics during the tv shows and animations... a sort of pay back to where things started from? It sure seems like the values of movie related back issues goes up, but that's a collector thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember reading Mike Richardson (head of Dark Horse Comics) saying that sales of STAR WARS comics actually went DOWN any time a new movie came out.  The thinking was that the comics served to sate the fans' appetite for all things STAR WARS between movies.

I've long wondered why I could watch a comic-based movie or show and I didn't see a quick (ten-second?) ad for the latest issue (or subscription) of the comic it was based on.  When other studios were in charge of these projects, I might think that they said no.  That excuse doesn't follow for why there's no ad for THOR comics at the end of the latest Marvel Studios THOR movie or why all the DC shows on parent company Warner Bros' the CW aren't a week-long commercial for getting viewers to "learn more about these characters at your local comic shop!"  Put up a phone number or web site for finding the nearest comic shop or subscribing to the monthlies.

Remember when the credits for some movies ended with "Read the Bantam book" or similar?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 22 February 2018 at 9:02pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version