Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s "Fresh Start"... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here we go again!!! Just announced today that the Marvel Universe is being overhauled for a fresh start and trying to go "back to basics"...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

About time they did something like this.*

*I'm being sarcastic.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What, again? The word "gimmick" comes to mind.

And they'll revert to new numbering AGAIN?! I quite liked picking up DAREDEVIL #598, the story is what attracted me, but it's nice to have a sense of history.

I picked up BATMAN #309 as a kid. I'm not saying my predominant thought was, 'Wow, there were 308 issues prior to this.' But somewhere in my brain, there was a, 'Wow, this title has been around a long time.'

I know that doesn't equate to goodness. It's possible to have hundreds of mediocre issues, but there's still something for having a sense of history.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You mean they cloned 'younger versions' of the original Bullpen?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Two questions come to mind:

One, is there any evidence that a new #1 results in a sales boost?

With many complaining about the latest relaunch/renumbering (you should see social media!), is it time for comics to simply list a month and a year on the cover?

Also, and I am being self-absorbed here, these relaunches can make it hard to search for back issues on comiXology or via eBay. Good luck if you want Wolverine #1 (which one?). At least something like Scaredevil #598 will be easy to track down. 

Perhaps a month/year is the best bet going ahead.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Does it matter... I thought readers today wait for the collected editions??

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie, evidence of a #1 DID result in a sales boost... during the 90's speculator boom. Crap, DC published a lot of one-shots just so they could put a huge "#1!" on the covers to crank sales..

Didn't used to be that way... quite the contrary. A new #1 was treated with less respect than a title that had been published for a while. Thus, Flash resumed with #105, and didn't begin with #1.

And with such a small fan base anymore, I'm not sure that renumbering will make much of change. Certainly there seems minimal interest from any potential new readers.

At least eBay and Amazon usually show the correct cover, so you might have a clue. On the other hand... with how many Wolverine #1's anymore, who knows if the one they want is the one for sale...?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric, although eBay would show the correct cover (unless a seller was lax), it'd still show a lot of results and require much scrolling down, my friend. Whereas if I wanted DAREDEVIL #598, that'd be easier to find!

As for a new #1, I would ask Marvel this: IF there is a sales boost, does that translate into regular readers? Does it sustain itself? Because if a million people buy a new #1, but then never buy another issue, it seems pointless.

I prefer the subtle "reboots" of decades ago, e.g. a title might have the tagline "Bold, new direction" or "An Exciting New Chapter Starts For The Web-Slinger".

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Robbie - you think eBay always shows the correct cover? Have YOU got some surprises to come! More than once, I've saved myself from buying the wrong book because the image and title are a book I want, but the description indicates that it's quite different.

Your preference of previous years also keeps a nice transition - the "all-new Superman!' didn't start from scratch. Clark became a TV reporter, and started getting a little bolder and more innovative - but Lois, Jimmy, and Perry were still there. In-series changes were fine if they didn't cut off every previous bit of story... and that's why doing it in-series made a lot of sense to me! CONTRARY: Okay, I can think of Green Lantern making such a transition, and just about every bit of backstory was cleared out or set aside. NOT REMOVED - but I don't recall too many appearances of Carol Ferris, and Hal never got near a jet or plane. Then again, at that point, he didn't have a lot of consistent backstory anyhow...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I guess I am in for a surprise, Eric. ;-) Not that I am unfamiliar. I bought a jigsaw puzzle once (second-hand) aged around 14. It had DUNE on the front. When I got home, THE DUKES OF HAZZARD was the actual jigsaw. An error or joke? Who knows?

Good points about Clark moving to Galaxy TV and the like. I think "A Bold, New Direction" as a tagline, with some in-story changes, would be preferable to yet another #1.

I'm glad, for the most part, British comics have resisted it. 2000 AD has "programs" rather than issues, its current program is #2068 (it's weekly and has been running since 1977). The JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE is currently on its 392nd issue. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

From what I gather, it's a problem much deeper than stories and creative direction at Marvel. Marvel editors, writers and artists have taken to Twitter engage in months-long flame wars with fans over politics, culture with the requisite personal attacks and vendettas. So unless there's a brand new set of people at Marvel, or a brand new audience, there's a lot of mending of bridges that have to happen. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 20 February 2018 at 5:56pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'll keep spending my entertainment dollars elsewhere.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version