Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: I Just Talked with William Shatner (Plus FanExpo ’18) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just crawled home from Day 1. Turns out I decided to go today after work to get the lay of the land (took the train). I've been up for 21 hours but still pumped up for tomorrow. Located the spot for JB's table, so I'm good to go.

I bought some old John Buscema AVENGERS comics, the SUPERFRIENDS Treasury Edition, and an Arthur Adams sketchbook which he signed for me.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Waiting for my ride to JFK.

It begins!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

At JFK. As with Boston my gate is as far from the terminal entrance as it can be!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That happens to us every time we fly. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Day One

Once again as far from everything as possible. I've asked for a Segue!!

Half day. Lots of signing. Ticketed "experience" with Bill.

Met Lea Thompson. Lovely. Met Karen Gillan. Very sweet.

Dinner with Bill, with Gary and Cory along.

Chris Ryall is more and more the official Byrne Whisper.

Invite you all to guess the number one question of the day, spoken with hushed and reverent tones, as if people are afraid speaking it aloud will cause it to break and blow away.

(Humorous guesses not invited.)

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd imagine that the potential thawing of relations with Marvel was likely the number one question of the day. 

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So, today I met the man whose artwork I have revered since I was a kid. (!)

After a series of disastrous travel choices I arrived at John Byrne's autograph table shortly AFTER it was capped, so I proceeded to the special ticketed event signing area to wait (Vowing that I will not be denied today!) Second in line, I met a fellow fan and had a real nice chat with him as we waited. Good dude (Hi Ramone!)

I wore my JBF badge and JB recognized my name from the Forum. (!!!)

William Shatner commented on it!

John Byrne autographed my copy of the STAR TREK NEW VISIONS Omnibus and my FF and X-Men and FF artifact/artists editions (Thank you, sir!)

Chris Ryall is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, very friendly guy!

Like all important first times, I felt awkward and confused but I'll remember it forever!

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Glad you had a great time, John.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Glad it's gone well! Great story, Lars - I feel every emotion you call out vividly! I wonder how similar we all feel meeting our heroes?

Congrats all around!

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Met Lea Thompson. Lovely. Met Karen Gillan. Very sweet.
------------------------------------------------------------ --

I met Lea Thompson at the 2015 LFCC, for which I threw on some denims and a red bodywarmer. Upon meeting me she exclaims "You're my son!" and rushes up and hugs me. Later on, when I was waiting in a queue for someone else she looks me up and down and gives a big sultry smile. (I will never again watch BTTF in quite the same way!) So yeah, I agree she is indeed quite lovely.

I am as envious as can be through that you met Karen Gillan JB. She is top of my list of actresses I'd like to meet. (And not just because she's a fellow Scot.) But I'm also delighted for you too. As I remember you very much liking her on Dr Who.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Invite you all to guess the number one question of the day, spoken with hushed and reverent tones, as if people are afraid speaking it aloud will cause it to break and blow away.

(Humorous guesses not invited.)
--------------------------------------------

Haha! Yeah, I think if I was there I'd be asking you that as well, and probably in the exact same way too! Hope you enjoy the rest of the event JB. You certainly deserve it!

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yesterday my girlfriend and I went to Fanexpo for the sole purpose of meeting JB . Since X-men 108 , I have been hooked. My girlfriend ,Renee , paints and draws and even though she is not much into reading comics she enjoys the art and loves JB's Artifact /Artist edition books .

We got extremely lucky as we arrived at John Byrne's autograph table just before it was capped .We were the second last in line . ( He had a 3pm appearance with Mr Shatner)

JB was great:) :) and Lars i do know what you mean by feeling awkward. I was in awe and everything i planned to say went out the window .
JB asked me why I didn't have my name on my Forum Badge ( dumb me ) and wrote it on for me and signed. So cool .
He signed my X-men Artifact , both Hidden Years trades , Dc Universe and Art of JB. 
Thank you John for the wonderful experience and (what I wanted to say)  the many ,many years of comic book enjoyment .

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

SECOND CHANCE DAY for me,
I arrived at JB's table just after 10 and chatted with other frontline JB fans (Sam!) until JB finished his William Shatner panel and arrived just after 1.

John graciously introduced me to his pals Cory and Gary. (Nice to meet you, fellas!)

Mr. Byrne very generously personalized my copy of his novel WONDER WOMAN: Gods And Goddesses. I am over the moon with this gesture, many thanks.
I am so happy to have JB's mark on some key items in my collection, everything looks great!

I then grabbed lunch, bought some comics and swung back around to see JB was still signing a solid three hours later. I then went to wait 2 hours at the front of the Spotlight Panel line (which started at 6pm).
John arrives, makes eye contact with me and growls, "You again?!?"
Love it!

Literally the first question someone asks is about the ELSEWHEN project, of which JB claims he has no knowledge. :)
Second question is about C.B. Cebulski's comment online about wanting JB back at Marvel. Exciting times.

I eventually stick up my hand, (from the front row!) and JB points and barks "WHAT!?!"
Recalling it now still brings a smile. I own that moment!
(Especially because the room wasn't in on the interplay and they probably think 'That poor bastard just got spanked! He must've had it coming.')

GREAT, GREAT DAY.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

My question:
"What is your favourite Superhero costume of your own design?"
"Guardian."
Followed by, "For Super-villains, Silver Banshee."

My follow up was regarding her costume's flame effect. JB confirmed the fact it is actually (silver) flames dancing from her clothes.

Later my second question was, "Do you have anymore Superman stories to tell?"
JB tells me yes but you just can't go back to Superman once you've left.
I love John's Superman work, glad there's still a couple issues left in his head.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

That’s so awesome, Lars!!  Thank you for the play by play - it’s great to read for those of us who couldn’t make it.

Great pics, Larry!  Sounds like you guys are having an awesome time!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Day Two

Super busy day.

Started with breakfast with Gary. He shared his impressions of Day One. Gary has been to shows before, but none this big.

We headed over to the show and my table. There was already a long line. I signed constantly until Ihad to leave for a panel with Bill.

That went... oddly. Chris and I were introduced first. Immediately I noticed there was no display copy of the NEW VISIONS omnibus, as there had been in Boston. I introduced Bill. Huge roar and applause from the large crowed. Bill and I bantered for a bit. He tried to get a fix on who Chris was, and why he was there. (Because the Con told him to be!) Then Bill went into his Q&A, and Chris and I just stood there. Occasionally Bill made a valiant attempt to fold us into his act, but we were fifth and sixth wheels respectively. Somehow the cue for us to leave the stage had been completely missed.

At lunch Bill grumbled about this to Con staffers, but at least I got no sense he was blaming Chris and/or me. After Bill departed, Aman Gupta, the owner of the show, came to the table and apologized profusely for the confusion. I said there was no need. Hey! Intended or not, I got to spend an hour on stage with with William Shatner!

Returned the my table around 1:00, and signed until 5:00. Took an hour to let myself decompress before my panel at 6:00. Just Chris and me this time. All went well, except for this guy called "Lars" who kept asking annoying questions.

Dinner at a Thai place, then a leisurely stroll back to the hotel, except for...

One scary moment as a truly crazy guy came tearing down the street, yelling obscenities and threatening people. He crashed into and actually struck Constance. She was shaken but unhurt. He staggered off up the street, yelling and pounding on parked cars. Constance called 911.

We went our separate ways and I was in bed and unconscious by 11:00.

On to Day Three!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Oh, the ABUSE!

I'm gonna need therapy after this!

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

This why you do both of the following next time:

1) Share the stage with me as I moderate you so I make sure you have something to do.
2) Have dinner with me. I can guarantee no crazies. 

... actually, I'm bbq'ing tonight. I'll let the wife know. \

Good seeing you again!

Joe Gravel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

This was my first big convention experience and I mistakenly brought my 7 year old with me and ended up, quite reluctantly, abandoning my spot in line for JB's Saturday afternoon signing session.

I did get a chance to watch the master signing books and chuckled when he jokingly pretended to be about to set his coke down on the comic in front of him. 

Anyway, very cool to you in the flesh, JB. I was in awe at all the books you had to sign. The line was so huge! Hope you didn't strain your drawing hand. 

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

LAST DAY,
I arrived in JB's line just after 10am, he arrived just before 10:45. While JB signed my treasures he asked if I had read here about his incident last night, and assured me he was okay. I did the Canadian thing and apologized for the lunatic's behaviour.

Knowing JB is signing so many of the same issues from everyone, I brought some items that I hoped JB had not seen too often. Presenting a Spanish edition of Fantastic Four #232 I jokingly asked John to sign it in Spanish. :)

I met the Forum's friendly John Kirk. (Good to meet you John!)

I attended today's Spotlight Panel, and it was just excellent. JB always gives thoughtful answers and told humorous asides that everyone enjoys. Very eloquent.

The handshake we shared was.....surreal.

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Lars , great you had the stamina for 3 days . I was exhausted after Friday . That place was massive and I'm sure it gives the San Diego Con a run for its money . Great to see that their were lots of JB fans .

I wonder how many forum members attended .

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Day Three

The third day of conventions seems alway a little surreal for me. My energy peaks about mid afternoon of Day Two, and from there it's a slow spiral downwards.

More signing in the morning, then another "spotlight" panel (this time with my Barry White voice, brought on, as usual, by spending days talking much more than usual).

Finally presented with the Joe Shuster Award I won in '08.

Missed saying goodbye to Bill, who was whisked away the night before.

Farewells to the Con folk. Good people all.

A few notes to/for the fans:

• When handing over books to be signed, orient them to the Pro, not yourself. Lost count of the number of stacks I was handed upside down. It becomes annoying after a while!

• Don't try to take back the books one by one as the Pro signs. Let him/her finish the stack and hand them to you. I've had more than a few covers and pages get ripped because the fan has thrust his hands into the middle of the process. By the same token, let the Pro slide each issue to one side without trying to "help".

• Unbag books before getting to the Pro. Seems like this should not have to be said, and yet...

• Keep your books and other items in an easily transportable form. Remember, there are people behind you in the line who don't want to wait while you reassemble your collection.

• Don't hand over your books one at a time. Believe me, it's like fighting the Hydra! Much better to have a stack and sign them that way. (Especially since nervous impatience often compells the fan to push in the next book before the previous one is out of the way. More potential for tearing.)

• Move quickly to the side when your books are signed. Remember, again, the people behind you.

• Never, ever ask for "just one more." Especially not at the end of the day!

• Don't have "special spots" in the books you want signed. I know this sounds mean, but do the math. The hunting for those special spots in multiple books very quickly adds up, and again we have people waiting behind you.

• Remember, it's basically an assembly line. Grab a quick moment with the Pro but keep your origin stories for another time. The tale of how you found/bought/chose that particular issue may be important to you, but probably not to the forty people in line behind you.

• And finally, REALLY important -- RELAX. Deep breaths. The Pro is just another human being! Have FUN!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Did these two cons encourage you to, perhaps, do more in the future?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Glad you had a good time JB. Sounds like you
were living the dream hanging with Shatner.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Any particular insights or conversations you'd be willing/able to share about William Shatner, JB?

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version