Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: RULE ONE Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have a question for JB. Could a major change be made to a book like the FF, without changing the basic premise of the book? For example, could a creative team decide to increase the membership of the FF beyond the original core four members like Hickman did in his FF (Future Foundation) series, but while still keeping the title of the as "Fantastic Four", but adding another word to the title and to the name of the team to indicate that the team roster is no longer limited to just the original core 4 characters? Could the book and team be called either "Fantastic Four INC","Fantastic Four Foundation","Fantastic Four Unlimited" (which was the name of an FF spinoff anthology title from the 90's),or "Fantastic Four Plus/+"?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think the safest answer is "no."

Usually, a series is successful because the creators have caught lightning in a bottle. Look at the rebirth of the superhero genre in the Fifties. An explosion of characters, many in-name-only revivals of successful characters from previous decades. But not all the revivals were successful. The Flash, yes. Green Lantern, yes. But Hawkman struggled, and the Atom just never quite made the grade. Groups like the Sea Devils and the Metal Men (a personal favorite) didn't catch on.

Marvel entered the fray with the Fantastic Four, a huge success. Spider-Man also. The Hulk, not so much. Thor and Iron Man did better, but it was the Avengers that really pulled it together. X-Men traveled a hard road to eventual cancellation.

In a nutshell, the original successes were the big successes, and what came after -- especially thru the Seventies* -- tended to be dull thuds and flashes in the pan. Did anyone really expect a huge success for OMEGA THE UNKNOWN? SKULL THE SLAYER? WARLORD? Or, later, the "TV Movies" of the "New Universe"? DC, through "growth and change" (not to mention "relevance") eventually dug themselves a whole so deep only explosives could be seen as a solution. (And having done that they assigned most of the people who had caused the "problem" to engineer the ongoing "solution.")

Bottom line: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

------------

* The predominant attitude when I joined Marvel was "F*ck it! It's all going to be over in five years anyway!" Much of what was being done had a kamikaze feel to it.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Bottom line: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If only THAT could be the GOLDEN RULE. Writers should be challenged to lay out stories without changing the BASIC groundwork of a series. (No revisions!!)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had some copies of Los Quatro Fantasticos, El Hombre Araña and Patrulla X from Mexico. I thought they had a good format, a bit like the science-fiction digest in size. I kept looking for Harvey comics in espanol... 'Casper, El Hijo Muerto', 'Ricardo De Los Muchos Pesos', or at least 'Lotta, Niñita De Los Grande Mass'. Sorry, I've read so many Love & Rockets comics I couldn't resist.

---

I never got the feeling the creators of Teen Titans Go hating on the characters or situation. It seems more anything for a laff. I still like the straight version as much as ever.

---

Warlord was very popular with some guys I remember in school who didn't like most comics. They liked him, and of course Conan, Tarzan/Korak, and some liked Sgt. Rock, also Mad and Warren/Heavy Metal. They were happy to give me all Superheroes they felt they'd outgrown. So Warlord seemed to work quite well with non-regular comic readers for awhile.

* Sea-Monkeys not exactly as shown.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

He started down the wrong path when Stan & John Romita made him into Marvel's version of Archie Andrews with Gwen and Mary Jane interested in him.

——

As I pointed out in another thread, this happened while Ditko was still on the book. You had older woman, Betty Brant, and Miss Popular, Liz Allan, fighting over Peter’s attention, with an unseen, but labeled as gorgeous, MJ waiting in the wings. The idea that Peter was attractive to women happened relatively early. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The predominant attitude when I joined Marvel was "F*ck it! It's all going to be over in five years anyway!" Much of what was being done had a kamikazefeel to it.

I have to wonder if that's been the thinking ever since then too.  It would explain a LOT!

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Remember back in the 80's when there was a female version of Peter Parker hanging around on the fringes?Deborah Whitman.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, I remember, although I didn't really start folowing AMAZING and PETER PARKER until just after she was dropped from the storylines. Never did read the issue where they wrote her out.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have to wonder if that's been the thinking ever since then too.  It would explain a LOT!

I tend to think it's been more "let's squeeze every dollar from our existing readership via crossovers and Event Series" more than "it's all over soon." When the Direct Market saved (or "saved") superhero comics I'm sure the "it's all gonna be over soon" mentality vanished.

At least series like OMEGA THE UNKNOWN tried to be interesting and different (we miss you, Steve Gerber). When was the last time Marvel or DC tried to do something genuinely different and daring that wasn't under the Epic, Vertigo or Wildstorm labels? Grant Morrison's ANIMAL MAN? (Well, I'd say FINAL CRISIS too, but the scheduling mucked it all up.)

And I mostly agree with JB about "growth and change" and yet Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing has become an Official Part of the Batman Mythos that "everyone" seems to like or at least accept. It even made its way into the Bruce Timm Batman cartoons. So I guess it "worked." 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And I mostly agree with JB about "growth and change" and yet Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing has become an Official Part of the Batman Mythos that "everyone" seems to like or at least accept. It even made its way into the Bruce Timm Batman cartoons. So I guess it "worked."

•••

If you want Batman to be fifty.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, I never believed "Saint E. Nelson Bridwell's Gospel' that said Superman and Batman were "29". They looked like they were about 35, minimum, during the '70s and 'pre-CRISIS '80s'.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 19 February 2018 at 7:29pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If you want Batman to be fifty.

Assuming that math works in the DCU the way it does in the real world, Bruce must be 40-something. He's also been in the Lazarus pit at least once. So it doesn't matter as much as it might as long as nobody talks about it. 

I don't know how old Dick is supposed to be. 20-something, but I don't know what the "something" is. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version