Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

and the people who oppose gun regulation also tend to be the people who oppose paying for new social service programs and who support bankrupting the government with lower taxes.
==================================

......and when a natural disaster happens, those same folks are bitching when the government can't help them fast enough. .....
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sent  an e-mail to my senators today. We cannot stop talking about better gun laws. We should not be quiet.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Someone on Twitter is responding to thoughts and prayers posts from senators by posting how much money they've received from the gun lobby.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That is something that may bring about change. It will push Congress to eliminate the transparency that forces them to publish such data.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This.  THIS.   It gets my blood boiling and my head heated.  The callous disregard we have for human life is shameful and it's bolstered by a gun culture that makes it far too easy to obtain weapons of mass destruction.  Guns that never should be in the hands of anyone but the military.

Sadly, this too will pass in a couple of weeks. It will essentially be nothing in the great cosmos of nothingness.  That's how we react to mass shooting events now. A two week news cycle and then...nothing. No change.  No examination.  Nothing.  

Move on.  Nothing to see here.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I want to understand what kind of mental process causes people to believe that criminals will comply with laws. The shooter chose a gun-free location, precisely because he knew that law-abiding people would not be armed and could not retaliate. Was the weapon he used legally acquired? Sounds unlikely to me. Everywhere weapons can be purchased illegally. The prohibition that so many here believe to be the stone of salvation will only serve for honest and law-abiding people to lose the right to defend themselves. Also, I do not see a word about the school-run epidemic in the United States, people can not believe that it's just weapons. There is something very wrong in the way these attacks are treated by the media, the glamorization and publicity given to criminals cater to the desire of their degenerate and narcissistic minds.it seems to me obvious that the call to finally be recognized across the globe, to leave the obscurity and to be the subject spoken by everyone, to have every detail of life minutely analyzed for audiences around the world is a great call to these psychopaths.
Before any investigation that can tell the real motivation of this attack (could be a terrorist attack) and the origin of the weapon used, people should not pursue a simplistic solution. Once people thought that it would be a solution for these crimes to simply forbid guns in these areas and it is clear that it does not work.
And before someone try to label me as a "gun fetishist", I do not have guns and I do not think I'm prepared to have guns, but I do not think that it is correct that honest people should be deprived of having the right to defend themselves just because I do not like guns (or what criminals do with them).

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The usual social media comments irked me. I saw something once about how a guy could get hold of grenades. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure getting hold of grenades would be a lot harder.

Someone mentioned that the Las Vegas shooter could have had knives. If he'd thrown a knife from a building, it MAY have missed EVERYONE. Tragic though it would have been, I am sure the knife, if it had killed anyone, would have been in one person. Still a loss, of course, but not the same amount of damage.

You know something, why is debate banned? Why can't politicians have a DEBATE about gun control? What are the NRA and GOA scared of? Have the debate. Debate never hurt anyone. 

I'd be tempted, if I was a politician over there, to say, "NRA and GOA, the ball is in your court. Speak to me. Offer a solution." Put them on the spot. Quite frankly, and it reached this stage years ago, prayers and thoughts are insulting. God is NOT real. If he was, then perhaps some of that magic he used to part the sea for Moses could have been used to disable/incapacitate the shooter. And I am NOT being facetious about that. Shooting are no joke. But the Bible talks about people being turned into pillars of salt, the sea being parted and the sun standing still in Joshua's day. If those ***STORIES*** were true, then why the hell would G*d not be doing something today? Sorry, I'm angry. Why wouldn't he? 

I've heard some Christians in awe of supposed events such as the sea being parted and a person being turned into a pillar of salt. If I were a Christian, I'd be asking G*d, "Why couldn't you, as an omnipotent being, incapacitate that shooter?"

So fuck prayers and thoughts. If I'd lost anyone in a shooting over there, I would, as a person who isn't easily offended, be very offended with a politician offering thoughts and prayers.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ah yes, the criminals don't follow the law argument. I suppose all of the countries with strict gun laws are hiding the fact that criminals are abusing the laws? If you create an environment that is dark and damp then mold will grow. If you create an environment with readily available guns and fear then shootings occur. The government and lobbies protect the manufacturers and sellers of guns. They do next to nothing to protect the victims or potential victims. Marcio, your view that less available guns and more restriction will be ineffective is the minority here. If these simplistic solutions are doomed to fail then please propose your solution to reducing gun violence.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 15 February 2018 at 5:39am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I want to understand what kind of mental process causes people to believe that criminals will comply with laws.
--------------------------------
While we're at it, why not make drink driving legal? Only sober people are going to comply. Drunk people already have impaired judgement, right?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I must have missed the part in this thread where ANYONE stated that criminals would comply with laws.

They don't. They wouldn't. That's the definition of a criminal, whether it's a shooter or someone stealing a jumper. CRIMINALS BREAK LAWS, Marco.

But does that mean we shouldn't act. The UK tightened up gun laws after the school shooting in Dunblane, Scotland. 

I notice some (not here) are bringing up the whole knife thing. Let me post what I've posted a million times before: I know judo. There are no guarantees, but if a knifeman enters a shopping mall around here, I have at least a 60-70% chance (based on my skills) to disarm him. Like I said, NO guarantees, but I have a chance.

I have almost a 0% chance if it's a guy who starts firing. And 0% if it's one of those guns (I don't know the terminology) which are more powerful than pistols. 

What roll of the dice would you prefer, Marco? Would you want me to use my judo skills to disarm a knifeman? Or a shooter?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You know something, why is debate banned? Why can't politicians have a DEBATE about gun control? What are the NRA and GOA scared of? Have the debate. Debate never hurt anyone.

They're scared to have an honest debate... and if they DID, those participating would probably miss some key points - which we've mentioned here already and in the past. (I've cringed at the town halls
that have been aired tackling other important issues.)

Bottom line: Guns are too profitable to be regulated anymore than they are now. Plus, few politicians care about mental health funding... heck, major government funding goes to our military!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Was the weapon he used legally acquired? Sounds unlikely to me.
-------------------------------------------------

and 

Edited by Peter Martin on 15 February 2018 at 10:41am

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version