The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brian O'Neill wrote:
Not aware...yet...of conspiracy theories for this shooting...

It's been widely reported over the last couple of days that everything from Alex Jones claiming (again) that this is a "false flag operation" to conspiracy nutters claiming the teens are "crisis actors" to saying that "the alt -Left" (which isn't a thing and actually seeks to mitigate the very real racist alt-Right) is behind the Florida teens seeking demonstrable change in gun laws and regulation.  It makes me physically ill.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Alex Jones has a screw loose on many things, and I am surprised he still has a platform. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wayne LaPierre, the head of the NRA, broke his silence a week after the Florida school shooting with an unrepentant defense of gun rights and an aggressive attack on political elites who "hate individual freedom". 

"Evil walks among us and God help us if we don't protect our schools," he said. 

“Schools must be the most hardened targets in this country, and evil must be confronted with all necessary force to protect our kids.”

Trump doubled down on his proposal to address school shootings by giving some teachers guns on Thursday, tweeting that it would be a “great deterrent” to killers.

The president also tweeted his support for the NRA, posting: "what many people don't understand, or don't want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris [Cox] and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

Link

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The US is turning into a bad American movie. How do people fall for this Orwellian propaganda?

Trump, LaPierre and co. are not good people, and seems they are prepared to do whatever it takes for money and power. This proves once again why people need to vote out all of these Republican fools that take blood money from the NRA.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I do not watch Alex Jones (I'm not entirely defective yet) but I believe he is as the shock jocks have been for decades... he gives his specific audience what they want, he makes a good show of it, and he panders to the fringes who need some type of justification or validation in their lives. When someone says, "Here's what you feel, and I SAY YOU'RE RIGHT! So send me money!", they feel as if they belong. And of course they send money. Televised religious figures have been using this since there were radio broadcast religious figures... and likely before radio as well.

Same drill with those who are claiming child actors, conspiracies, arming of teachers, etc. I think that a lot of people don't want to accept the bald faced facts of this horror, because it doesn't quite accord with their beliefs. So, when someone says, "You're right! This didn't really happen as you believe!" or "You're right! There are easy fixes to this - arm the teachers! Metal detectors! Put prayer back in schools!", it is a comfort to them that what they think, what they FEEL isn't bad or wrong - and that they're not bad people. 

It also allows them to be satisfied that what they want is being addressed, and they don't have to actually take action... the government will take care of them, as always.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

“Many in legacy media love mass shootings,”  NRA’s Dana Loesch said after walking on stage at the Conservative Political Action Conference to a standing ovation. “I’m not saying you love the tragedy, but you love the ratings. Crying white mothers are ratings gold.” Loesch also appeared at the CNN town hall event Wednesday night to discuss gun violence and had most of the audience booed her, and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who was on stage beside her, challenged her. 

It's amazing that she speaks in this manner when less than 25% of the population agrees with her - on the other hand, they are trying their hardest to take voting rights away from the other 75%.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've long been making the point that the Second Amendment is, itself, unConstitutional, since it trumps the rest of the document. Think you have freedom of speech? Me and this gun say you don't.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
I do not watch Alex Jones (I'm not entirely defective yet) but I believe he is as the shock jocks have been for decades... he gives his specific audience what they want, he makes a good show of it, and he panders to the fringes who need some type of justification or validation in their lives.

The conservative base is driven largely by people like him -- who are effectively radio insult comics. The problem is, they enjoy policy influence. On the rare occasion Rush Limbaugh is criticized by a Republican office-holder, the office holder issues a craven apology within 48 hours A friend of mine who is a state Republican party leader and as reasonable a man as I've met, approvingly cites Ben Shapiro as a legal scholar. The fucking president listens to Alex Jones, and InfoWars has White House press credentials.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think the real turning point was way back when the FCC was weakened (and Democrats voted to weaken it too I understand) so that Rush Limbaugh could appear on tv in front of a wall of flag-festooned books he was selling ranting about "America held hostage, day #___" (of Bill Clinton). Well, I thought Bill was a big phony, but what is this Rush guy? C'mon, who's the rube here? He selling books and himself, not really getting vital information to his fellow citizens.

And they called it 'Infotainment'. It did not balance things that Michael Moore got some tv series for awhile too and lots of books with flags or himself on the cover).

I watched Rush's show once in the '90s and figured it out then... here is what I saw/heard. he was 'ranting' with 'outrage' about environmentalism. Probably 'labelled' them enviro-nazis. But here's the part that to me was a cute trick but to his righteous followers (and Moore has his). Rush is gonna lay the big truth on us all, the truth we can't handle... "Why there are more trees in the United States today then when the country was founded!" he thundered. Did I imagine gasps in awe out in tv land? No, I thought it was a cute trick, that's all... how entertaining. Now I know what that show is about; not my cuppa. I do not think I'm a braniac, but just like people who saw that First Blood original 'Rambo' movie somehow came out of it thinking he was a hero where I didn't, where the cash-register hearted saw Rambo PJs size 6X on sale, I saw a manipulated situation, a sly joke. Now you have a lot of sly jokes. More clowns. Unfortunately.

Why, why would anyone subject themself to someone shown to tell manipulative half-truths (I can tell you from lots of first hand experience that Moore got info on Canada's health care very, and probably deliberately, wrong) as well as name-call like some child?

If you need to be told... there are more trees in the United States today because at founding there were only thirteen states. Just adding Alaska would likely have made it a true statement. Let's get back to bioring non-entertaining news and information and boring non-entertaining politiicans who just do the damn job I say. Vision? Movements and revolutions? Huh? Two hundred years and you should know what works and what doesn't for quite a few things. Be boring, unexciting, it's worked most of the time for places like England and Canada. :^)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

“My sons have been members of the NRA for many, many years, and they’re incredible — they have so many rifles and so many guns, sometimes even I get a little bit concerned,” Trump said to gentle laughter.

That's Donald Trump addressing an NRA audience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/at-the-nra-trump-com pletes-his-rapid-transformation-into-a-pro-gun-voice/2016/05 /20

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2018 at 1:02pm

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

NRA :“Schools must be the most hardened targets in this country..."
-------------
I say nay! Schools should not be targets at all.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Our legislators have decided gun owners should be allowed to carry a weapon anywhere--church, movie theater, grocery store, school, playground.

Everywhere except, of course, government buildings. Those are off limits.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version