The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Who needs semi-automatic or military grade assault
rifles in civilian life? Nobody!"

I don't think that will change the minds of those people who have a different opinion. They will probably just exclaim back "You just want to take something away from me! To judge me as not responsible when you don't know me... that's not freedom!"

On the positive side I believe there was a poll of NRA members who favored more controls/restrictions by a wide margin, which pretty much means it's down to many of your representatives are being bought and paid for.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This really is a quietly amazing video:

I wish more gun owners had this degree of humility and soulsearching.

(But as usual, beware of the comments section, for your own mental health.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 19 February 2018 at 8:22pm
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've been really impressed by these students. They took action and are very articulate. Maybe there's hope for the future...

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Please, please, PLEASE let this snowball into effective change on the Hill.

"I believe that children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way..."

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You have to wonder how the right for almost anyone with the slightest wait time to buy military type weaponry became 'conservative'. I had a letter published in a U.S. magazine dominated by libertarians way back around 1990 where I mentioned a right not to have to bear arms. Somehow the small (or even no) government, no regulations, libertarians became a major part of the Republican party. Oddly enough though what used to be hard core conservative, which was that communism is evil, started vanishing staring with Nixon shaking hands with Chairman Mao

Then again, it was the Democrats who were states' rights/segregation in the south at one time and that seems to have almost flipped too.

Another way of looking at these things is a question of people vs. a thing... people or a flag for example... chose the people... people or a statue... people or a baseball team's cartoon mascot... people or a right? If a right is leading to more deaths than in places without so much of that right... well, what about the right not to have so many deaths?

They haven't even cracked down on bump stocks so far though, a long long way to go I'm sure. Especially when compromise has become such a dirty word with some folks. Maybe the word balance would fit better than compromise, and protection rather than regulation? It took decades of hard won experience to create certain protections, watch out who you let toss them out, whether it is Bill Clinton in the name of some 'inevitable' global economy or anybody else. And you don't have a democracy at all without two healthy parties, those motivated fanatics who seem bent on annihilating 'the other side' or 'the enemy' are really just hurting their own nation. Those who believe in a God should recognize one thing; 'He' must love variety as he created so much of it!

'Nuff said?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 February 2018 at 3:47pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So Trump announced he has ordered AG Sessions to take steps to ban bump stocks, the type of gun modification that the Las Vegas shooter used back in October. REALLY??

it's unlikely Congress will pass anything & he probably knows this. This way, he looks like he cares and can simultaneously blame others when nothing gets done. (Probably got permission from Wayne LaPierre to say this. Just a small thing to calm down the hostility right now.)

-C!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Doug C. - Children don't vote, children don't pay taxes, and children have no influence on the electorate. To most politicians, they're meaningless little entities... except for their OWN children and grandchildren, of course. If you believe otherwise, I've got a tower in New York to rent you the top five floors of. 

Ms,. Jansen - sadly, not half 'nuff said. People form a nation, and so many politicians are party before nation or voters these days. 

Until this gets personal, or their phony-baloney jobs are in danger, too many of Congress have naught to offer but those damned thoughts and prayers, with a negative timeline to discuss gun control. Follow the money... right up the barrel of an automatic weapon.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

CBS News tonight showed a close-up of a piece of paper Trump held in his hands during this "face-to-face" meeting: 

An old-school "teleprompter" of sorts, a crib sheet with hand-written responses to anticipated questions or comments he might be faced with.

The dope in the WH told a bunch of grieving friends and family members of recently murdered teenagers that it would have gone better if teachers were armed.

-C!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I really hope the dumb conspiracy stuff at least gets knocked down for good this time... the stuff about people killed not really existing, or parents and teen-agers being paid actors. I couldn't believe what they'd built up to explain away Sandy Hook, but a lot did believe and it must've worked some. People who live where these things happen have people who've never been there telling them how the whole thing is a hoax and they were duped by 'tha meteor'. What do they need? Videos of innocent people having bits blown off them? They'd probably say those lame-streamers faked that too. Getting info from websites that didn't exit six or ten years ago is real smart, or from outrage manufacturing talk-radio.

Oh yeah, specially trained conceal carry teachers.... no gun free zones allowed as that's a provocation... this stuff is along the lines of Trayvon Martin being 'armed' with a sidewalk, which they actually allowed in court in Florida.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The dumb conspiracy stuff is exactly that - DUMB.

CNN is airing a special Town Hall on tonight in Florida led by the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fl. with senators Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson in attendance. CNN's Jake Tapper noted that both Trump and Florida Governor Rick Scott denied requests to attend.

-C!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not aware...yet...of conspiracy theories for this shooting, but Sandy Hook was disgusting. Then again, regardless of subject(JFK, moon landing, 9/11 all being 'faked'), conspiracy theories are the stuff of drug-addicted morons. The fact that there are enough mouth-breathers out there to give these idiotic theories just enough credence to not disappear completely, is shameful.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So, suppose we arm teachers. What do we do when the next school shooting is an armed teacher shooting up his classroom?

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version