Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Cagle's comments are probably dangerously close to extortion if there's evidence he acts on them.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Stephen Colbert has hit the nail on the head:

And so has this person:

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In the US, a major sports and gun shop, will no longer sell assault guns and is raising the age limit for purchasing guns from 18 to 21 (even though someone who is 18 can purchase a gun)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Arm the teachers! Err...

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Regardless, Florida’s Republican-controlled state House and Senate advanced bills this week that would train teachers to carry guns in classrooms (proposing bonuses for educators who undergo training),
raise the minimum age for purchasing a firearm in the state to 21 from 18, ban the sale of bump stocks, institute a 3-day waiting period for purchasing a gun, and increase spending on school mental health resources.

*sigh*

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Re: the Colbert tweet and responses.

I am weary beyond measure of people claiming they need their penis surrogates to protect themselves against the Government. Read the frakking Amendment, morons! Arms in support of a "well regulated militia" -- and only the Government can regulate.

The moment you set yourself against the Government you lose the protection of the Second Amendment. (And all the others.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That would seem logical, Mr Byrne!

And, as has been stated countless times here by others, if the US government was overthrown, I am not sure a few people with pistols or rifles could stop an invading force. Any force that could take out the armed forces would surely not be stopped by civilians with weapons.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If I ever visit the US, remind me to fly with Delta! 

——

As much as I appreciate Delta’s stance, unless you enjoy lost bags, missed connections, and three-hour delays, avoid Delta. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

To expand on Mr. Byrne's comment, the moment you set yourself against the Government by use of firearms, you're dog meat. They have bigger guns and more ammunition, and LOTS more people shooting them. As he has commented previously... Joe Peacemaker setting himself against even a local police department has lost before he's started,.

Michael R. - I have reason to suspect that your entirely legitimate criticisms of Delta apply to the majority of air carriers in the U.S. these days.. As if they feel we MUST fly from one destination to another... and with video conferencing and (relatively) instant data transmission, it's just not necessary to businessmen anymore. That leaves recreational travelers, and I don't need to visit California so badly that I'm willing to be treated like cargo. I believe that a LOT of my fellow citizens feel the same.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Maybe Mr. Trump will be good for something after all, promising to raise the age to 21 and ban bump stocks... but I'll believe it when I see it. Can't beleive these Republican cats going on about hunters' rifles... where the @#$%^&*! has anyone talked about banning/restricting hunters' rifles? Who hunts with an AR-15? What are they going to take down a whole herd or something? Maybe if the deer were armed. Here in Canada they did have a debacle with a thing called a 'long gun' registry which some twits in a city decided had to include everybody no matter how far off the grid rural. A complete waste of money and effort and it's use to police was pretty limited because they included way too much in it. It had that semi-criminalizing effect on people forced to comply too, an example of the pendulum swung too far the other way.

I don't know what to say about 'revolutionaries' needing arms in the U.S. in the near future... you'd think the likelihood of that would be extremely remote, but then to those who buy into intricate Ruby Ridge and Waco conspiracy things... (and it doesn't help when things do come out). Looking at how much power just the IRS can have to destroy people it is pretty much laughable that such revolutionaries would stand any chance.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Some gun nuts I've spoken to (usually on social media) claim they need their guns because of constant threats.

What a nihilistic way to live your life!

My nan visited Northern Ireland during the Troubles. When she returned, I, who was very young at the time, asked her if she was ever scared. She said, "Robert, if I thought that way, I'd never leave my chair!" Bless her!

If you go through life thinking there's a potential threat around every corner, and that the overthrow of the government is potentially five minutes away, then you are nihilistic. 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version