Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: V: The Movie Announced Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's the news:

I enjoyed the 80s mini-series for its social commentary and performances. Whilst THE FINAL BATTLE was less cerebral, it wrapped up the storyline well, and had some great moments. The short-lived TV series that followed was entertaining on a certain level, but really was a sci-fi version of THE A-TEAM, with punch-ups, gung-ho missions, etc. Plus, it lacked continuity with its predecessors, e.g. gone were the distinctive voices, lizards walked around without human disguises on, etc. 

I quite enjoyed the 2009-2011 series. I thought it reflected then-contemporary concerns well. Whilst the visitors in the original series could not blend in, and had to rely on propaganda, the 2009-2011 series featured foes who definitely could blend in. Who was a reptile? Your neighbour? Co-worker? 

So I am quite excited about this. I feel that with everything going on in US politics, a V movie will be able to reflect contemporary concerns in the same way the 80s and 2009-2011 series did. Fingers crossed, eh?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...2009-2011...

O, say it isn't so!

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The original V was pretty decent.... right up until the "Starchild" stuff. The first mini series was a nice allegory for the rise of Nazi Germany and made for a compelling show. The Final Battle was a decent follow up until the aforementioned miracle child saves the day ending. The tv series that followed wasn't terrible but had a little too much soap opera and not enough fighting the aliens action. The 2009 revival was actually decent but couldn't quite seem to find it's footing and ended just as it was starting to get interesting. A movie written and directed by the guy who created it in the first place should be worth a look if you enjoyed the old series.

Edited to add... If I recall correctly, Kenneth Johnson wrote some follow up novels a few years ago using the plot he had intended to use in a third mini series to follow up the events of the old show. I wonder if that material will be the basis of the movie or will it be more of a reboot?

Edited by Christopher Frost on 11 February 2018 at 9:58pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'll certainly be hoping for the best! It's nice to see Johnson getting another bite at the apple. I wonder if the Visitors this time will smooth the path of their coming by arranging the outcomes of certain elections...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I always liked the original concept, so I'm interested.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Didn't Marvel just do this a few years ago? Change "visitors" for "skrulls" and a little different subterfuge...

Ah, never mind. What I watched of "V" didn't do anything for me. I didn't read the DC mini, so I've no idea if it was any good or not. I hope it does well, 'cause why would I wish it bad? Will I see it, though? Hard to say.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And then there's the David Icke theories...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And then there's the David Icke theories...

Hypotheses -- and that is a generous usage. Theories can be tested.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I meant to say that, but thought I'd test you all (well, that's my excuse! Seriously, thanks). :)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One of the nearly constant burrs under my saddle is TV references to "UFO theorists" and "conspiracy theorists" in general. Most of these nutballs would not know a real theory if it bit them.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

For a while in the Nineties some conspiracy theorists took to calling themselves "parahistorians" who discussed "parapolitics" which I think signaled their credibility a little more precisely than they realized. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Alternative facts!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The original series reflected Cold War fears; the 2099/2011 series reflected concerns, valid or not, about "the enemy within"; and this movie could reflect, well, what? 

I suppose 45's disastrous tenure may provide some inspiration for the movie.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"People tell me this is the greatest, most astonishing space alien invasion they've ever seen, even in the movies."

I thought the anti-scientist pogrom in the first miniseries was a little too imprecise to be properly effective, but now I must admit it was fairly prescient.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Does anyone know why V: THE SERIES went down the "A-Team route"?

And what was with the lack of continuity? Could the series not have afforded the distinctive voices? I know I overuse this analogy (I did it in the SPACE: 1999 thread), but V: THE SERIES is "Elseworlds" to me.

And its plots were often indistinguishable from what the likes of THE A-TEAM were doing. Bad visitors do this and that, Donovan and others mount a military-style mission, punch-ups happen, rarely does anyone die, etc.

I think it is "Elseworlds" for me...

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The voices were already gone in FINAL BATTLE. Too expensive.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I adored the original mini-series as a sub-10-year-old in the 80s. I'd be willing to give some more material from Mr Johnson.

Sci-fi from Desilu... Sounds good.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Knowing how subtle Hollywood is, the visitors will use slogans like "Make Earth Great Again" and the lizards will be genderless.  They can hammer us with all of their current obsessions, hooray!  If Kenneth Johnson is involved, though, I have confidence they won't stoop to that kind of obvious garbage.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The voices were not gone by V: THE FINAL BATTLE. They became inconsistent. 
The series said they were too expensive.

Is this the thread I again roll out my tired story of how it took my ITV region a year to show the series? Thats not a year before broadcast (although it was that too), but a year between showing the first and last episodes.
Now I know the USA are used to having breaks between episodes during a run, but that was not the norm in the U.K. - we tended to wait until all the episodes were in the can and then show the full series in one long run. Not so with V. This was show an episode, Miss three weeks, show an episode. Became a standing joke. Im surprised anyone stuck to the end.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Christopher Frost wrote:
Edited to add... If I recall correctly, Kenneth Johnson wrote some follow up novels a few years ago using the plot he had intended to use in a third mini series to follow up the events of the old show. I wonder if that material will be the basis of the movie or will it be more of a reboot?

He didn't write "novels" plural, he wrote a single novel following up on where they would be now.  As a HUGE fan of V, it was an enjoyable if not spectacular book.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
I quite enjoyed the 2009-2011 series. I thought it reflected then-contemporary concerns well. Whilst the visitors in the original series could not blend in, and had to rely on propaganda, the 2009-2011 series featured foes who definitely could blend in. Who was a reptile? Your neighbour? Co-worker?

I thought the 2000's remake lacked the WWII Jewish allegory that the original so painfully sought to tell.  That is far different than "shapeshifters" who "blend in" to a community and could be anyone.  It's far more frightening to live in a time when an invading force has so much imposed power as to turn a community or a nation against itself rather than being one of them and then working behind the scenes.  That, really, was the entire message behind V.  That an invading force manipulated the US in the same way the Nazi's manipulated Germany and many other countries to turn against its own citizens.  It's a cheat for the invaders to appear like one of us and is antithetical, as a HUGE FAN of the series, to make it just another "invasion in human form" rather than face the harsh reality that we've all recently witnessed via the rise of Trump: that people will, indeed, turn when it's advantageous and it doesn't even require being an alien, human or otherwise.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

My main memory of the original series is that it was
shown over here as an alternative to the L.A. Olympics,
i loved it, i was especially taken with Jane Badler!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Loved the original mini-series!
Didn't watch the 2000s remake.
Have 0 interest in this movie. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
I thought the 2000's remake lacked the WWII Jewish allegory that the original so painfully sought to tell.

I definitely prefer the 80s version out of the two (it'd be my preference on a desert island)!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I'm a BIG fan of the 80s mini-series for the reasons Matt already mentioned above. I hope this new version manages to hit all the right "marks" and doesn't just become another alien invasion flick.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version